Days of Our Lives - Fri., Dec. 23, 2016

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Days of Our Lives
Friday, December 23, 2016

Intense, emotional, heartrending scenes between Chad & Abby, interspersed with some light hearted interplay within the Johnson family, some reminiscing by one couple, & ...well, a bit of drama elsewhere. Chad stares in disbelief at the silent Abby, "you're alive", he is near tears, are you real, can I touch you? He holds her face between his hands, embraces her, is in tears, as is Abby, who has put Thomas back in the crib. Now come his questions, but she is still not saying a word. What happened, where have you been. He finally takes her to the bedroom (yes, the one where he was just with Gabi). He notes he has not changed anything. It is like pulling teeth, but she finally manages to talk of how she was seeing Ben everywhere, the pills they gave her there were making him even more real, so she had to leave. She tried to think like Ben would have, tricked them, and escaped. She came to DiMansion, gave Andre the letter, he helped her. Made her realize it would be best if she seemed to be dead. Got her to her gramma's, who got her off the pills, onto the right meds, therapy, and she got better and better.

Chad is beside himself, is angry at Andre, more angry at her, at what she did, leaving him and their son. He is holding back his sorrow, disappointment, his joy at having her back as he asks more questions, tries to take this all in.

At the Pub, Steve, Roman, Kayla & Joey have had dinner, are kibbitzing, Jade arrives, feels she is probably intruding. No, they want her there, she is family now. Everyone is really very nice to her. There ends up being 2 separate table, where they all change places at times. Joey sits with Jade, gifts her with a pair of crystal earrings, joking that he wanted to get her something crystal not stolen. She is commenting with a smile about how weird his family is, (all mostly due to Patch, lol) Roman calls him over to give him his gift, Kayla joins Jade, is very kind to her.

Later, Steve & Kayla are alone, he gives her a gift, lol, it is one of those jackknives with a hundred different things, including a nail file, so she could do her nails. She is laughing, and now her gift to him. She brings out a harmonica, has been practicing, they can do duets together. (so fun). She does a rather poor first line of Jingle Bells. They have to get going to the hospital shindig, she is babbling about having practiced in secret, and now can do it all the time when he is around, even in the car. LOL

Adrienne is with Justin & Sonny at the Kmansion, talking with the other boys on the computer via Skype. Tis over, Sonny & his brothers made a bet on the Super Bowl, he leaves. Justin & Adrienne laugh about the boys and their bets on football games, she has to go throw up. She returns, he offers ginger ale, she is going to return to her hotel room, check on Lucas, he talks her into staying. They joke and laugh over Christmases when the boys were little, putting together bikes, which fell apart, sending Sonny to ER. More of the same. How they went from bikes and trains to video games and computers. And now Justin just sends them a gift card, but a note. She teases him about finally getting sentimental, then says how when she signed her card, she wrote Mom & Dad. Justin says next year she will probably write Mom & Lucas. She warns him not to do that, he apologizes.

At the hospital, Gabi is talking to Dario, Sonny is there glaring at Dario, who is making snide remarks. She warns Dario to cool it, tis Christmas. And there is Paul, all dressed up in a silly, but cute, red elf outfit, donned for the kids. Dario starts in on him spying on the sick kids. Again Gabi orders him to zip it, it is Christmas. Later, Dario apologizes to Gabi, was out of line, and gifts her with the original of the knockoff purse he gave her. She protests, he claims she deserves the real thing. So she accepts. transfers all her stuff into the purse. Sonny asks her if he can take Ari to the square, to show her the tree. Gabi thinks Will would like that, so, of course. He comments on her new purse, figures she will let Ari play with the old one. Yep, it's around here somewhere.

Sonny passes by a door, darkened room, sees Dario, watches from the doorway, as Dario fishes the microchip out of the old purse, pockets it, leaving the old purse there.

Santa & Mrs. Claus arrive to the delight of the kids. Ari comments she did not know Santa was a pirate! lol. (Steve is Santa, wearing a red patch). Kayla reads the Christmas story of the birth of Christ to the enthralled kids, Joey tells Jade that next year their child will be sitting there listening to this same story.

Sonny is in the square with Ari, Paul comes along. they exchange Merry Christmases, Sonny talks of eventually going to the Horton tree party, Paul says it sounds like fun, leaves, Sonny appears to be looking wistfully after him.

Chad & Abby are still having their explanation discussion. She figures she should leave. He stops her, she cannot leave NOW, She tells him she has caused too much trouble, knows he has moved on. Chad gets extremely emotional....moved on? She saw him take off his ring, put it in the dirt, saw him with Gabi. He explodes in tears, how hard it was, how he was grieving for so long, people saying he has to move on. He hates that expression, it tore his heart to take off that ring. She confesses that she did not come back for him, or Thomas, but for her mom, when JJ was shot, to be sure they were o.k. Chad cries out ..that was months ago. Where were you, how could you not let us know? He is crying, begging her to not let Ben win. She says he already has. She is no longer the woman he married.

The baby monitor has Thomas crying. Chad points to it, can you no longer be the mother he needs? They go to the nursery, she picks up Thomas, holding, rocking, kissing him. Chad has a half smile.

Dario catches up with Gabi in the park, next to the Abby angel statue. He is telling her she cannot be with Chad, it won't work. She protests, telling him to butt out, and that she knows how much Chad loved Abby. She looks at the statue, but she is dead. He has moved on. Dario tells her to listen to him......Abby is not dead. He has seen her. She is alive!

At the Kmansion, Adrienne is curled up on the sofa, asleep, her head in Justin's lap. In the background Christmas music plays. Silent Night. He strokes her head. The music softly and slowly plays ........sleep in heavenly peace....sleep in heavenly peace.

You know, taken out of context, it sounds like Dario was accusing Paul of being a pedophile.

Also, Kayla reads the Christmas story! I'm surprised they didn't have Gabi read it, since she's part of Dena Higley's (writer) favorite family.

Pity poor Chad -- he was all set to enjoy a romantic Christmas with Gabi and now he has to deal with the unbalanced Abigail. It seems as if Christmas cheer just went up the chimney at the DiMansion.

Poor loveless Roman -- if he had only reciprocated Mrs. van Hopper's romantic interest, he'd be getting a lot better Christmas gift than fruitcake.

Impulsive Gabi -- hopefully she won't jump to conclusions as usual and think that while romancing her, Chad knew that Abigail was alive. If so, that unused Gabi ornament just might make it onto the Horton Christmas tree after all.

Stylish Paul -- he certainly looked good in his elf costume. Maybe, he and John should wear them while conducting investigations. After all, who would be suspicious of a pair of elves?

Patchy Claus -- a fine job done by Steve as the hospital Santa. He put Percy and the guy they have down at the Town Square to shame.

Grinchy Dario -- this creep has no shame. Even Stefano would be shaking his head over his tacky Christmas Eve behavior. Hopefully, what Sonny saw will soon lead to the discovery of the dirty business of Eduardo Hernandez & Son, Inc.

lol, you reminded me about the fruitcake....that was a stitch. Evidently Kayla and Roman have been giving each other the same fruitcake for years, and this year Roman was the recipient, and was not happy as it was a "new, fresh" one. Seems Kayla did not like the look of the old, old one, so got a new one, Roman complains this one is not hard, it is soft. Tain't right. LOL

I don't like this instant animosity between Sonny and Dario. I get that Dario is ticked because Sonny hired Paul to investigate the goings-on at the docks, but even in the scenes it seemed like they never liked each other. I've said before that I know that when the original Dario was dating Melanie the two of them would hang out with Chad & Abigail, Will & Gabi, and Sonny. So while Dario and Sonny may not have been best buddies they weren't hostile towards each other either. But then since Dario has back on the show for almost a year now and is just starting to have scenes with Sonny we're probably not supposed to even think of that.

Things I liked:

The Chad and Abigail were ALMOST worth the wait in my opinion. You could really feel Chad's disbelief, joy and hurt. The reason why I say "almost" is because I didn't feel as much sympathy towards Abigail as I probably would have if they hadn't dragged this out for so long.

"I didn't know Santa was a pirate?"-Arianna - that was just too cute.

I always enjoy seeing the Hernandez siblings interact.

The scenes of Justin and Adrienne reminiscing were nice.

Last edited:
I think Abby has not only worn out her mom & brother, she has worn us all out with her hiding, skulking, and endless pity party. So yes, Troy, I agree that the impact of this would have been much greater done earlier. If they wanted to save it for Christmas, then they should have delayed her return. As it is, her mom nearly has a nervous breakdown, her brother got dumped, his girlfriend went chasing after Abby's apparently willing husband. Her brother-in-law & grandmother angered her husband & mother/brother by not revealing to them she was alive.

Now, while I feel Chad never stopped loving Abby, he HAD to accept the fact she was gone, and he could not live in a vacuum forever. Many people have to make that very difficult decision. Chad is too young to be a sorrowing widower for the rest of his life.

I was very glad Dario told his sister that Abby is still alive. Yes, he broke his promise to Abby, but as much as he annoys me, at least he had the guts to do so.

The scene with Kayla and the harmonica was hysterical. She toots the first few bars of Jingle Bells. She told Steve she had to practice in secret, but now she can practice all the time. Steve's face was too funny. As they went to leave, she tried again to toot Jingle Bells & messed it up and shouted "I have to try again" Again, the facial expression on Steve said it all. :rotfl:

I'm going to watch this one again. But I will say the first 2-3 scenes with Chad and Abby were horribly directed. They kept moving from close ups of one to the other with no wide shots in between. It almost looked like they taped separately and spliced the scenes together. It got better in the second half of the episode.

I did not find fault with it......perhaps it was editing:?

Have to say, I just was mesmerized by Chad's reaction to it all. So really just watched him, her, could not even tell you if it was closeups or what. But will confess that I am constantly annoyed by Abby continually pushing her hair behind her ear. If she wants that side back, wear a comb or barrette or something. Hope does the same thing. It is distracting (yes, to me).

Meanwhile, I loved everything involving the Johnsons....the fruitcake nonsense, the exchange of jackknife & harmonica playing, the welcoming inclusion of Jade in their Christmas Eve.

So...while I really was pleased with this episode, I felt that ....well, Adrienne is Steve's sister. But O.K.

However, I do think it remiss that Lucas & Allie were not present at the Horton ornament hanging. And if Allie had to be hiding away with Sami, so be it. Lucas should have been there. And in MY opinion, BEFORE Maggie.

Am glad we saw Christmas trees in the various places...

but shame, shame on Days for continually showing the park area (angel statue) with lush green leaves on the trees and shrubs.

Thanks, Poirot.

I thought today's show better than yesterday's for some reason.

I enjoyed the Brady clan at the pub. I'm glad Jade was included.

Nice to see Justin, Adrienne, and Sonny talk to the other boys on the
computer. Enjoyed Justin and Adrienne remembering their Christmas
as a family.

I wonder how much Sonny saw when Dario was cutting the purse?

Is it too late for Gabi to go back to JJ since she knows Abby is alive?

I kept watching Chad too when Abby was telling him where she was and why
when she was gone. I laughed when he said "you didn't go to the store to
get milk" I thought of the other Salem residents who disappeared doing
some odd task.

Last edited:
I watched again and still think the Chad/Abby bedroom scenes were poorly directed. We should have seen both characters in the frame at all times, not the flip flopping back and forth. They could have shown Chad and Abby facing each other with the bed in between them. Other than that, I agree the acting was great. I'm eager to see Chad go off on the other characters who knew about Abby.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the various Christmas scenes and thought there were a lot of missed beats:

--At the Pub, where were Shawn, Ciara and Claire? They could have come by after the tree trimming. Abe and family as well. Plus Marlena. I had a feeling we wouldn't see her for Christmas.

--At the hospital, where were the Hortons?

--So Jen said Lucas was with Adrienne but Adrienne said he's at the hotel? And if Adrienne lives with Lucas at the hotel, why is sleeping on Justin's lap? This makes no sense.

--Sonny's scenes must have been taped out of sequence since he mentioned going to see the Hortons.

--Where were Rafe and Eduardo?

Overall, I thought this was a pretty depressing Christmas episode. Ari was cute as were Steve and Kayla.

The final Dario/Gabi scene was out of left field. I thought he was being blackmailed. Something must have been cut. Also, Ari's outfit changed from the time she was in the hospital to the time she was in HTS.

I saw Dario telling Gabi that Abigail is alive as him *uncharacteristically perhaps* putting his sister ahead of himself. As far as Abigail's blackmailing him is concerned I think that will be a moot point. Since Chad now knows she's alive it will become public knowledge so she'll no longer feel the need to hold what she knows dangling over Dario's head. So I guess Dario pretty much lucked out.

I enjoyed this episode. The actor who plays Chad must surely have a great career ahead of him! I hope we get to keep him on Days for a long while.

Dario was obnoxious but I was glad he finally told Gabi that Abby is alive.

I especially liked the gift exchange between Steve and Kayla. At first I thought his gift of the knife gadget to her was kinda cheesy but then when she did the French harp thing, it all made sense. These people probably don't need or want for anything so they do a fun thing. I loved it!

Back