Days of Our Lives - Thu., Jan. 21, 2016

JasonDíSpeech

Reaction score
At Hope's, she and Rafe pull away from each other, recognise they were only caught up in a moment. Ciara enters, Rafe and Hope are startled. They fail at playing it cool, Rafe tells Ciara that Hope's been cleared of the charges. He leaves. Ciara asks if Hope's falling for Rafe. Hope deflects, Ciara doesn't buy it. Hope confesses to putting those she loved in danger, Rafe is no longer her partner. Ciara and Chase are her first priority. She wants to order pizza, jokes about cooking instead. Ciara seems put-off, worries Hope found out about her D in pre-calculus, doesn't want Hope being a helicopter parent. Hope relays how tough it was growing up without a mom, promises to take on a hobby.

In her townhouse, Marlena looks at a picture of Eric, then one of John. She calls John, leaves a message that Brady and Eric are OK, hopes he's finding what he needs to find in New Orleans.

At Maude's, John is unconscious, a man has entered "Maude"'s room and told her to clean up the mess. (The man refers to John as Maude's son.) The man pulls in close to John, who grabs his tie and pulls a gun on him. After the opening, John has the upper hand, the man is seated, John smelled the poison and didn't drink it. Maude insists that she told the truth, John knows these men better than she does. The man says that they want John to come home. The man double talks, John finally punches him out. John tells Maude he's not sure if she's his mother, can't believe she gave him up. All these years of longing (okay I take issue with this), feeling an emptiness, and now he knows he doesn't need her at all. He tells her off, leaves, ordering her not to follow him.

At the Basic Black studio, Gabi and Paul are modeling, Kate is snarky although Jeannie T seems pleased. Kate is especially unmoved by the lack of sexual chemistry between Gabi and Paul, thinks the photos look like a high school yearbook. Nicole enters in the back. She comes forward slowly, as Jeannie T points out that the yearbook idea is fun & nostalgic, and would appeal to their key demo. Kate disagrees, thinks the key demo's not 60. Jeannie T points out that Kate is the key demo, wears the fashions, has more disposable income than the rest of them. They go back to the shoot, Jeannie T directing Paul's looks. Later, Nicole has jumped in, directing the action, using her eye for detail and experience on both sides of the camera. (JJ enters from the back.) Paul and Gabi high-five as they take a break. Jeannie T is glad to see Nicole, who still feels like she should be in bed. JJ and Gabi flirt also.

Rafe goes to Club TBD, Eduardo buys him a beer and asks him to join him. Rafe does. Eduardo offers his ear. Rafe doesn't open up to him, but admits he's not worth fighting anymore. If Gabi wants Eduardo in her and Ari's life, that's fine. Eduardo says it's okay to just sit, no words, have a beer. Rafe lowers the boom, wants to know what Eduardo's been up to the last 20-or-so years. Eduardo doesn't want to talk about the past, he can't make it up, he wants to focus on the present and future. Rafe thinks Ed has something to hide, Eduardo doesn't admit, but doesn't deny, and points out that even Rafe has things he's hiding. Rafe flashes back to finding Hope & agreeing to help her. Rafe wants to know why Eduardo left...was it because of them (the kids)? Did he not love mama anymore? Eduardo denies this, but this confounds Rafe. Eduardo talks about how when he was young, he confused being a man, with being macho. No answers, so Rafe gets mad, gets up to leave. Eduardo asks if Rafe heard how he met his mother. Art exhibit, Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera. They were both enthralled with that love story. Rafe points out there was a lot of tragedy there, Eduardo agrees, as the two are not mutually exclusive. Ed talks about how brilliant Rafe's mother was, how driven, despite a lack of education. She instilled this drive to learn in her children. Rafe tries to pay for his drink, Eduardo refuses, hopes it's not the last time they have a beer together. One day at a time, Rafe says.

Back at Hope's, she's remembering dumping Stefano's body, etc. Ciara enters with food, says Chase is running extra laps per the coach, Hope thinks it will be good to have girl time. They start eating, Ciara relays how Chase is trying to prove he's not a bad guy like his dad. Asks if she can have some friends over, gets permission, Hope will keep her distance from the get-together. Hope admits that she's having trouble admitting her baby girl is growing up, the world is ugly. And beautiful, Ciara adds. They hug.

John has returned home, didn't get Marlena's message. Marlena hugs him, updates him on Eric and Brady, notices he's trembling (as he's pouring tea). She gets him to sit down, asks what happened. John says he met his mother, but she was working for "them" and tried to drug him. John is sure she was his mother, because when the man thought he was knocked out, he did refer to John as Maude's son. (I had the same thought.) He tells her "they" wanted to kidnap him & turn him back into a killer. John feels he's lucky he was trained so well, or he wouldn't be here now. Marlena worries for their safety, John is confident. Later, he tells her about taking his name from the wall, maybe he always knew his name was John. Now he's resolved to find out who took his identity, so they can stop "them" from doing what they're doing. Marlena wonders if this will jeopardise his safety, he points out he's already on their hit list.

At the shoot, JJ and Gabi are taking a selfie while Paul chats with the photographer, who then fiddles with his lights. Nicole, Jeannie T, and Kate are looking at the shots on a laptop, they all think the shots are great and will keep the post-launch momentum going. Paul goes over to JJ and Gabi, asks if they will join him & Jacob (the photographer) for a drink. (He's reluctant to turn Jacob down because they have to work together.) They agree. Later, Nicole is wandering around, Kate is making plans for getting the spread on the cover of some mag. Jeannie approaches Nicole, who tells her about her experience with Brady, who has Daniel's heart. Jeannie is supportive, says Brady feels guilty about having Daniel's heart. Nicole can't imagine if she'd lost Brady, too, doesn't want him feeling guilty. Jeannie asks if Brady told Nicole about his dreams of her. They don't talk about this, but instead about how important it is that a part of Daniel is alive, in Brady.

Later in the Square, Jacob is finishing a story as JJ looks bored. Paul laughs. Jacob gets up, thanks Paul for being so great to work with. Paul excuses JJ and Gabi, who have somewhere to be. They go to the bushy clearing, JJ asks why Gabi lied about having somewhere to be. She knew he was bored, she was too. She wants to kiss him. She does. Meanwhile Jacob invites Paul to a party that will blow his mind & help keep him in the fast-paced fashion world.

At Hope's, she texts Rafe after thinking about their near-miss-kiss. Meanwhile, Rafe is wandering the Square, thinking about the same thing.

At Club TBD, John arrives with the box of his father's medals. Eduardo approaches, asked if the lead panned out, finds out Maude tried to kill him "tonight." Eduardo is sorry, wouldn't have given him the info if he'd known that. John shows Ed the picture he took of the man, whom Eduardo knows as Vadim Constantine. Very few people walk away from him. John got that impression; Eduardo says that if Vadim was humiliated, he will pursue John. That's John's plan.

Side note: Eduardo says he loved "Adriana" more than she ever knew. I'm not sure if this is a flub, and he meant Arianna (in the same thought he talks about the other three sibs), or just my bad hearing because Eduardo likes to talk in a whisper. LOL But for a second I thought Mama Hernandez had a name!!

Side note: Eduardo says he loved "Adriana" more than she ever knew. I'm not sure if this is a flub, and he meant Arianna (in the same thought he talks about the other three sibs), or just my bad hearing because Eduardo likes to talk in a whisper. LOL But for a second I thought Mama Hernandez had a name!!
Might have been a flub because when A. Martinez (Eduardo) was on Santa Barbara, his daughter with Eden Capwell was named Adriana.

Thanks for the summary. Good show today, with the fashion show and the younger people. I'm interested to see where this will go with Paul & Jacob. Will they be a couple? Also, surprisingly, I'm really starting to like JJ & Gabi together. They have chemistry, and it's nice to see the slow build.

:sick: to Hope & Rafe. Hopefully Hope continues to make her family a priority instead of shacking it up with her old partner. Yuck!! I also hope Rafe can get to know Eduardo better and make up for lost time. But that's mostly because I'm being selfish, and do not want to see him with Hope! If he and Eduardo spend more time together, he won't have enough time to romance her.

The John storyline is working well, for now. Hopefully they continue to delve into this and make it the front-and-center storyline, instead of more sad scenes mourning Daniel's death, or Hope & Rafe.

Might have been a flub because when A. Martinez (Eduardo) was on Santa Barbara, his daughter with Eden Capwell was named Adriana.
Just saw it. I think that might have been Mama Hernandez's name (Adriana), because then he said (to Rafe), "and I loved you and brother and sisters."

I thought he mentioned Gabi by name. I was going to go back and check, but it's been a busy day. At any rate I loved the Eduardo/Rafe scenes. Loved the John/Marlena scenes, and found the fashion shoot passable. I'm assuming we'll never see Jacob again.

I do like JJ/Gabi, a lot. I also liked Nicole coming to work, but being mellow. And science help me, I even rooted for Jeannie T when she zinged Kate about her age. LOL

I really liked the Hope/Ciara scenes. Hope's way too mellow about that D, though.

I DID NOT like the Rafe/Hope scene. Dumb. I'm glad the kiss was gone, though. Gross. She buried two husbands within the ...well, let's say... the quarter (time is so fluid in Salem). And I don't buy the pining thing.

I like John being front and center and his scenes with Eduardo were great. (Really, Eduardo can do no wrong in my book.) But this parentage thing makes no sense, and now they're dumping it so he can lure a killer we've never heard of from hiding? Again, if it keeps him on the forefront...I'm okay with it. But it has me :confused: at the moment.

Aiden was actually mentioned again today. So was Chase. Honestly though I'd prefer Aiden's bad acts are not mentioned UNLESS the connection to the DiMeras is going to be revealed.

John had quite the trip to New Orleans: almost drugged by mommy dearest, getting the best of Mr. Stone Cold Killer, and collecting mementos of John Sr. That said, the reason why Marlena noted that he was trembling on arrival probably had more to do with him being instantly teleported back to Salem than his misadventures in the Big Easy. Over at the Brady home, viewers were treated to an incipient Rafe-Hope romance. If they do connect, they'll have quite an answer to the old question of "how did you two get together?" Hope: Oh, I murdered Stefano DiMera and Rafe helped me get rid of the body." Finally, it was good to see Nicole back in action, handling the objections to almost everything posed by Ms. Blue Chunk. Hopefully, the writers won't have any more inane nonsense and/or tragedy in Ms. Walker's future.

Even with the Dimera connection I think Chase would still find that a distasteful thing. It wouldn't stop his suspicion that Aiden had a hand in Meredith's murder.

Do with think Jacob might be a new love interest for Paul? Or someone evil(ish)? Or just a throwaway extra?

I am very happy that Rafe and Hope did not actually kiss. I am also happy that Hope said that is the last thing she's thinking about. Please keep it that way. But to me Ciara looked like she was liking maybe Rafe and Hope. Her father literally just died. No way would she be ok with her mom moving on so fast.

I think it's kind of funny that John's actual birth name was John. I wasn't liking his "mom" at all. She seemed shady.

Was good to see Nicole back to work but does that mean Daniel's funeral is over? Oh wait, he's still in the hospital morgue.

Wasn't bad enough John's mother sold him in the first place, never reclaimed him when he went to the orphanage, but she now actually was going to drug him and let Vadim do something horrible to her "son". ???

I found it very interesting that Marlena has the large framed photo of Eric, and one of John on that desk. Where is Brady's?

(Just remembering back years ago, when Brady was first SORAS'd and was mad that among all the pictures on the piano, there was none of Isabella.

Thanks Jason.

I didn't get the showed taped on NBC so I couldn't watch with closed captioning.
Of course, they had to mentioned Rafe's moms name and I didn't get to see
the spelling. I forget the show is on POP and I can watch there.

I wonder if Eduardo will tell Rafe one day why he really left the family.

Poor John, he finally found his mom and she wanted him dead or back with
the agency.

I laughed when Ciara told Hope her hobby would be cooking and they can learn
together.

There were three pictures on the table/desk Marlena looked at. One was
Eric and the other John. I wonder who the third one is.

I really have to wonder about this whole Rafe/Hope kiss that never happened. The spoilers for yesterday said they were supposed to kiss but they just came close. I'm thinking it's possible a little editing occurred and some story redirection may happen here. I liked the Hope/Ciara scenes though. It's nice to see some mother/daughter time. Long overdue if you ask me.

I liked the Rafe/Eduardo scenes as well. It would be nice if eventually these two could be close or need to lean on each other.

I love that Theresa continues to stand up to Kate. I'm not totally in love with her and Brady but I have liked her scenes attacking Kate and her growing friendship with Nicole. Although, I think the green-eyed monster will soon rear it's head given Brady's dreams about Nicole. JJ and Gabi are very cute together. I'm liking this coupling a lot and it was nice to see two "couples" out together. I doubt it will go anywhere with Paul and Jacob but we'll see.

I actually am really liking this John story. He seems more like the super spy John Black from years past. Like he's playing the hero and not afraid to go up against whatever enemy he faces. I mean, the story is a little weird but it's really not that bad. I guess I just like the fact too that John is trying to keep Marlena in the loop about it all and that he seems to have come to the realization that the family he has now is all that matters and worth protecting at all costs.

Oh, speaking of pictures, kat and Jason, did you notice the photo of Hope, Ciara, and Shawn during the Hope/Ciara scenes? It was taken while Jason Cook was in the role last fall. I thought it was funny since Brandon Beemer just took over the role of Shawn again this week. It made me wonder about the whole taping out of sequence thing they sometimes do and the prop people forgot. :)

I noticed the Jason Cook (Shawn) photo as well and actually tweeted about it during the show! It was quite obvious behind Hope's head. I really liked the Hope/Ciara scenes but would have liked to have seen Shawn and Claire join them. I kept expecting Shawn to knock on the door. Interesting that the kiss was cut. I'm guessing what we are seeing now is Dena Higley's brainchild and I suspect this will change soon.

I hope tomorrow is a new day in Salem because I'm tired of seeing Hope in that white blouse with black bra. It seems she went from one extreme to the other with black clothing to white clothing. Let's see some in between like jeans.

I am liking the John storyline too but Marlena still needs more to do than simply supporting him. Let's have her more involved with Belle and Claire and perhaps some new patients. I bet we will see John's mom again too.

I just can't get into the Basic Black stuff as long as Kate is involved and it's a vehicle to prop Jeannie T.

REALLY liked the Rafe/Eduardo scenes too and was glad to see Rafe out of Hope's orbit. He is much more enjoyable that way.

Jacob reminded me way too much of Fynn. But I like the idea of him and Paul.

JJ and Gabi: More please!!

The theme of today's episode definitely seemed to be parent-child bonding. I'm kind of surprised they didn't play the song "Baby Mine" from Dumbo in the background of some scenes. :)

Seriously though I did enjoy those scenes we got:

Ciara/Hope :clap:

Rafe/Eduardo :clap:

John/Maude Oh, um on second thought we probably should scratch that one.

Anyhoo, as great as two out of three of those bonding sessions were my favorite was definitely the one between Gabi and JJ :love::love::love:. My heart melted when JJ said "You really have no idea how gorgeous you are do you?" and Gabi paused and then shook her head and said "no." That was just so endearing. *sigh*

I've noticed on another forum people are saying "Yeah JJ and Gabi are cute and all but they need a story," I've been saying the same thing but after giving it some thought I don't think the problem isn't there's no story, I base this on the fact that they were part of what I think of "the couples to watch" episode that aired December 15. I DO think there is plan for them it's just been a slow build which I appreciated since these are two characters I definitely should not be an "insta-couple" They've given this pair some room to breathe.

John should have taken a DNA sample from his "mother," and walked it through a lab, personally.

Wardrobe was very kind to Nicole today; I even liked Dan's jacket. I hope those slacks are making a comeback; enough of the skinny jeans, and yoga pants!

Hope is quitting her job after losing $500,000, plus whatever she gave Aiden? :eek: I'm thinking that Hope will feel obligated to Rafe for helping her get away with murder; not the best basis for a Salem "friendship."

Noticed that there was some actual eating and drinking today! :)

JasonDS, I noticed Eddy's "Adriana;" maybe it was just a hard Spanish "r." :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back