Days of Our Lives - Thu., Jan. 28, 2016

Thanks Jason.

I had to use tissue again when Brady had Parker listen to the heart. Then Parker
left the stethoscope at the shrine.

I was surprised when we found out Eric started the memorial on the square. It probably
would have been too hard to have it where the accident happened.

Nice to see John and Marlena today. Too bad they didn't say much. They were
probably there because it was Brady and Theresa's turn at the townhouse :)

I wish the Fynn would have told Jennifer to use a heating pad instead of giving
her pills for her pain. Now they are all gone. Maybe she can have JJ find her more LOL

Ok, ok, ok....I get that folks here on this board and elsewhere do not like Daniel and can't stand the fact that so much time has been devoted to his death and the aftermath. Seriously I get it. However, I don't have the hate for Daniel that many on here have. Should this funeral/memorial have happened 2 weeks ago (or more)? Sure. But I still got teary eyed at certain parts. Maybe I'm a sap. I liked that Maggie mentioned that Daniel was now with his parents in the afterlife. I also couldn't help but get choked up with all the Parker scenes especially with the stethoscope and Brady. OMG. I was almost sobbing. I also really liked Jennifer talking about Daniel and Nicole offering her support to Jennifer.

I mean, look, if you hated Daniel you probably hated this episode. I get that. Do I think he was the second coming of Christ? No. Absolutely not. I had my issues with him and do not think they should have killed him off but I'm not surprised they dedicated a whole episode to his memorial. It was about as I expected and hopefully they will move on from this but I really had no problem with today's episode.

I didn't hate Daniel but the character did annoy me in recent years. Even in death, he is still dominating the show and dialogue. Bo Brady had been on the show for about 30 years. He did not get anywhere near the level of mourning or funeral that Daniel Jonas got. Will Horton had been on the show for about 20 years. He did not get anywhere near the level of mourning or funeral that Daniel Jonas got. And I have a feeling we are not done yet as they still plan to name the hospital wing after Daniel, Brady's has his heart and the visions, and Nicole is still grieving. These are not stories I'm interested in.

I too was annoyed Jeannie Theresa was there. And don't start me on Melanie giving her blessing to them. :sick:

How is Eric free on bail if he didn't want a lawyer and intended to plead guilty? Did I miss something? And enough with Nicole blaming Eric and wishing ill will on him! Didn't Brady just talk to her about this yesterday?

I'm glad they mentioned Daniel's parents.

Has John ever had a scene with Daniel?

I wouldn't mind if Eric and Nicole had grief sex. At least that would be true to character and if it gives us a Nicole pregnancy and Who's The Daddy storyline, I'm all for it. Anything is better than Hope being pregnant by Bo or Aiden and Rafe yet again not having a child of his own.

Last edited:
@Sparkster, thank you for your post. I felt exactly the same way you did about the episode. Cried like a baby. Just because writers in the past or present didn't have longer funerals or hardly anything for other major characters funerals, doesn't mean they have to continue this mistake for everyone else. Maybe, they finally got it right now on how to deal with this issue.

And I understand not having characters no longer on the show come back. I imagine the budget and actor commitments truly would set limits on that.

Other characters should have at least been mentioned. Where were Julie and Doug? Working? Where's Anne? Was Philip there, don't remember. It also bothers me that everyone always leaves town minutes after a funeral. I mean even if they don't want to pay an actor, they could say they are in town for a few days.

I suspect that some viewers, like myself, didn't really dislike the Daniel character, but instead the Daniel adoration manifested by other Salemites. After all, Dr. Jonas was in many ways an unexceptional soap character -- skilled physician, attractive to the ladies, who would help those in distress. He was also a gift that kept on giving. Because of his faults, posters loved to mock him as the "Love Doctor," "Dr. Feely-Gropey," Dr. DanTan," "Dr. McScruffy" and the drooling hospital gown fetishist. Unfortunately, he was surrounded by his adoring egg-mommy, his toddler daughter, and a whole claque of over-the-top admirers. Recall the Pub weepathon when Maggie and Melanie were utterly distraught because their hero was simply leaving Salem for a short time for some surfing R&R. So if some didn't care for the the lengthy funeral, they were reacting to yet another unwelcome manifestation of Jonas worship.

The funeral was done well, yes, definitely. I admit I shed some tears as folks remembered Daniel. I never hated him, I definitely did not like turning him into a McGyver type person.
The fact remains the funeral should have happened 2 weeks ago, minimum. Instead, we had people mourning & weeping for an entire month, with a funeral yet to come. and I know, in real life, one doesn't just shut off the grieving process. And the characters on Days won't, either. So while I do think others may not have received the same long grieving period, We HAVE seen Eve do it, Victor, in his own way for Bo, Caroline, too. Will's family. The thing is, the grieving has been done AFTER the funerals which were held much sooner after the deaths than this one.

Also, Theresa should have never gone to this funeral. It wasn't her place, period. She should have had the decency to stay away, like she should respect Brady's need to talk to Nicole or Melanie. (Not that I ever liked Melanie and Brady, mind you). But Theresa had no business being there, she should have stayed with her son instead.
I agree completely and I still think there has been VERY little real change in Theresa. She is still only concerned about herself.

It is kind of ridiculous that his funeral got so much attention when others didn't but it was a sad day. Nicole and Parker were heart breaking. It is sweet how much Parker loves Nicole. And when he listened to Daniel's heart. :cry: Though, does he know that his Brady has his dad's heart? He's kinda little, not sure if they did tell him. But was till touching.

Ciara pushing Hope to Rafe. Stop it!! Just stop it!!

I am wondering what will come of this Malibu memory that Brady is having.

KathyLu, my condolences for your husband. I do think that Nicole's wearing of the jacket is a nice, realistic touch. And let me also say that the acting is really spot on for everyone. Still, I hope that this is the last death for a while. It's been particularly hard seeing all this death the past few months because we should've had more joy with the holiday season, more romance with the new writers, and also personally for me because I lost my grandmother about 7 months ago.

Thanks for the summary Jason. I know that for you and others who hated Daniel, it must've been hard to see---indeed, I think it's unfair that this character, who often got on my nerves, had more time dedicated to mourning him than veterans like Bo or Will. However, I think the episode was beautifully done and touching. Everyone interacting, the return of some characters that were connected to Daniel, the shrine being opened up by Eric, all very nice. I'm also glad Maggie mentioned Daniel's parents that raised him. That said, some of the clothing was ugly and inappropriate for the time of year.

Hopefully the characters will all move on soon.

Theresa swoops in anytime a female talks to Brady, I'm surprised she isn't jealous of Maggie talking to him!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Melanie's giving her sincere blessing to Brady/Theresa would never happen in the real world. Particularly considering that Theresa did not fall on her knees, and beg Mel's forgiveness. And Brady was his usual doltish self for not addressing the situation in depth. :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Daniel's funeral was appropriate (in my opinion!) because he was someone who had been of great value to society. He was heroic in the medical sense, having saved many lives, and given helpful advice to many. And, as much as we like to joke about his semi-professional law enforcement career, his contributions in this area could also be considered heroic. As far as some of his sexual adventures go, I am going to try to consider them, "part of his personal life, that have nothing to do with his job performance!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think it was unnecessary, and ill-advised for tptb to irreversibly let him go. :( :( :( :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back