Days of Our Lives - Tues. Aug. 18, 2015

I'm glad Sonny got a send-off, but it really felt rushed to me. I just couldn't buy that he suddenly decided to just leave, even if it's only for awhile. One of his biggest issues with Will was always how Will didn't talk things through with him, just went ahead and did things. Just seemed a little odd. Good scenes though, regardless, and I know there wasn't a heck of a lot of notice/time to prepare much else in the way of the departure.
Agreed. These facts (and the fact that he's refused help from Vic consistently for 4 years but now is A-OK with it) made it hard for me to enjoy these scenes, and I was underwhelmed by them. But at least he didn't go to the Post Office or Horton attic like some other characters. Hopefully he'll be back.

Chad/Abby...snore. Get together, or stop. But if you get together, you'll have nothing to feel angsty about. I hope this couple takes a curve with the new writers.

Ben/Clyde...gross, die and leave. Aiden...shocking...where is this going?

Paige/Kyle/JJ...I'm hoping for another gas explosion. I like how Jennifer's name changes from Horton to Deveraux based on the script writer, too. :rolleyes:

As to who wrote this departure - to me, it felt like a Tomlin/Whitesell sendoff. (Think Bo. Think Sami.) It was a bit better done, but really, just...meh. And I do recall Jason47 stating that Sonny's departure was handled by the old writers. I'll head off to find that article.

Like everybody else I have mixed feelings about Sonny's departure. As far as the performances go I thought they were top-notch especially the good-bye to Arianna-kudos to Freddie Smith (Sonny)-but they were so out of the blue and rushed they really lost a lot of the impact they otherwise should have. This really needed SOME kind of set-up even if it was just Victor mentioning to Sonny about this position in Europe opening up a couple of weeks ago or something. But to just have Sonny mention this job offer and then take it in the same episode just didn't work in my very humble opinion.

JJ/Paige/Kyle-I really wanted to pay attention to these scenes I really did. But I just had this sudden need to rearrange my sock drawer. I'm sure you all know how that goes right? :)

Aidan and the Dark Don of Dixie: I don't know but I'm seeing some kind of swerve coming here. I have this nagging suspicion that Aidan may be formidable than You Know Who might expect. I'm not sure why just call it a hunch.

Last edited:
I agree with you but I think most soap departures are like this. I love how he decided to leave, pack and board a plane within the span of what was probably a couple hours. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
I know each time I have decided I needed some space and decided to go to Paris I just threw a few things in a bag and left. You really don't need much stuff in Paris, right?????

Now, now, folks. Mommy Adrienne is going to come over to the apt. and pack up more of his things, send them. But really, Uncle Vic is footing all expenses, so..hey, buying a few things is no sweat. We see the same sort of thing when some folks in Salem move in with others, or move to a new apt. etc. Heck, stuff could have been already taken down to the car before Will arrived back.
And hey, just because Uncle Vic talked to Sonny off screen about doing this, and we did not see it, doesn't mean it did not happen a couple weeks ago. Sort of a "if you want to get away for a bit, clear out the cobwebs, I do need some things tended to in Paris. "

Speaking of clubs, maybe this one will be seen less in the future. To tell the truth, I thought more of the Blue Note and Shenanigans, and yes, Brady Pub. But that was just me. I liked when the guys had a coffee shop.......but....times change.

Very lame exit. It would have been at least worth it if this was final goodbye. If it brought an actually closure to this very very badly mishandled Will/Sonny/Paul story but no. Is pretty much a redux of when Sonny decided to see his brother to think/clear his head after finding out Will cheated on him in February. So frustrating.

From watching the episode to seeing others reaction, it seems this job thing was never brought up till this episode. The writers couldn't include a scene of two with Victor/Sonny about this around a week before he exit to set it up.

The Adrienne/Sonny conversation on Friday should have taken place awhile ago but spilled milk. At least on Friday, the writers could and should have Sonny express honest feeling about everything instead of the standby of I'm married and happy, totally no feelings for Paul, we are just all friends blah blah.
\
He could have expressed maybe despite loving Will, he feels empty and trapped in the marriage because of everything Will did. That he doesn't know every time Will goes off to run errands that he isn't cheating. That he knows Will hasn't really change. Loving someone doesn't mean that you are in love with time currently and Sonny clearly isn't in love with Will now. He could express how much he tried to emotionally be strong and keep this family together, etc.

So we the audience at least know how Sonny is feeling. His mental state so that when Will tells him about his latest very lame attempt to control and manipulate Sonny, he had enough. Straw that broke the camel's back. It was implied that is what happened but we had to do all the work to make senses of it all.

I don't know why Sonny needs more time to think about what to do with his marriage. His thinking isn't going to change Will. He had 7 months of thinking about his marriage and trying his best to keep it despite all of Will's actions which would make any sane person walk away. You either stay in bad marriage not knowing how many more times Will is going to cheat and lie to you or face reality and get divorced. Let it go.

I don't like the way the writers are keep marrying what Sonny should do about his marriage and his feelings for Paul. Those things are very separate to me. The reason Sonny should leave Will shouldn't be about because he wants to be with Paul, it should be about how much Will violated their marriage vows, lies to him and manipulates him.

If Sonny than decided to divorce Will, his feelings for Paul would become more clear. Sonny wouldn't be up for relationship right away. He would need time to recover first and in that time, it would become clear to him if he really loves Paul and wants to start anything again or if he was drawn to him again because his marriage was falling apart and Paul was there, giving him loving attention.

I saw this tumblr post on what could have been if the writers hadn't screwed this story up so much. I totally agree with it.

Now I have to check back in (is it Oct. or Nov.) few months to see his actual final exit. Hopefully, they won't send Will and Sonny off to the sunset. I need death or divorce. They screwed up Will and Sonny so much without any payoff or real consequence for Will that the idea of them going off together makes me cringe. Please new writers, afford Sonny some backbone and respect.

PS: I noticed that Sonny took very little. Mostly documents to Paris. It made me laugh because my thoughts was Sonny is smart enough to know those ugly shirts won't fly there. I see a shopping spree in Paris where he will meet gorgeous french guy who will charm and romance him off his feet and an express divorce via Justin. Let me have my headcanon romantic comedy style.

Nice new layout.
edited to replace disguised swearing - JS

Last edited:
I am wondering if perhaps Sonny's visit to his brother was the original departure for Sonny, but then minds were changed for whatever reason. Bringing in new writers, a better idea, or ??? I just seem to remember Freddie Smith, who plays Sonny, saying something on twitter I think, not sure, or maybe in an interview, that he was gone, but back already, And I also remember a couple of interviews done with both Guy Wilson (Will) and Freddie, wherein Freddie barely got to say a word, as Guy Wilson seemed to jump in to answer all the questions, not giving Freddie a chance. It was odd. Yes, Freddie did answer a few, but very few.

If Sonny wanted some unmolested away time, he should not have told Will and Paul where he was going.

Presuming Freddie Smith (Sonny) is able to quickly find gainful employment, I do not expect him to return to Salem in his current role. He is a very good, and likable, actor. :(

Back