Days of Our Lives - Tues., May 24, 2016

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Days of Our Lives
Tuesday, Mary 24, 2016

Oh, Wow. An absolutely not to miss episode. Lucas, Jack, Jen, plus Doug & Julie for the entire episode. Kudos to Melissa Salmons who wrote the dialogue today for an episode entirely devoted to Jennifer & her addiction.

Jen is in the dark, pacing, looking out the window, saying to herself, I cannot do this. She grabs her purse, and despite being in robe & slippers, opens the door to leave...but Lucas is standing there....going somewhere? She stammers, no, not really. He is there to help, she says she needs help. But do you want help? Jen crumbles into Lucas's arms, yes, she needs help. They go inside, it is a mess, he jokingly asks if she is redecorating. He understands...the conversation is really wonderful, Lucas saying all the right things about being dependent on something, referring to himself. In the course of their talking, she is remembering back, and we see her tearing thru drawers, looking up on draperies, tearing down curtains, pulling apart pillows, even calling a pharmacist, trying to get just a couple of pills....sinking down to the floor, calling Lucas to come, she needs help.

She tells him how she was visiting JJ, who was so sick, then goes to see Abby, who refused to see her, or her husband, or baby, and how she offered to take Thomas for the night, Chad is taking this all so hard, but he refused, made excuses, but finally told her he could not trust her with Thomas. This upset her terribly, and she says she took all her pills and flushed them down the toilet. Knows you are not supposed to do that, but would have gone searching in the trash for them if she had not. Lucas tells her there is an AA meeting at 6 a.m., he will call Maggie. Jen is hesitant, but accepts the idea. 4 hrs. to go.

Eventually, Jen goes to sleep, and begins dreaming. Abby comes in, looking for her son, Jen is supposed to be watching him so Chad could go pick Abby up. Jen was sleeping on the sofa, the crib is empty, she is frantic, Abby is calm, telling her mother she found Thomas crawling around on the driveway. Jen is mortified, Abby says she won't be seeing Thomas any more, picks up the bottle of pills saying something about what happened to JJ, but not telling Jen what, just that it is her fault. Abby stalks out. Jen is now at the jail, JJ in the orange jump suit comes in, just as Jen is popping a couple pills from a bottle on the table. JJ asks her to share, she is perplexed. He is in for distributing & possession (I think). She protests that he cannot do that to his life, he is saying it is her fault, she showed him this way. She denies this, he mentions leaving him half way round the world in boarding school, when Dad died, He needed HER, but she left him there.

Eventually, a hand is on her shoulder, time is up, back to the cell. She looks, JJ is gone, stands up, and guard is Jack!! She tells him he is dead, what is he doing there, he is asking her where she went, mentioning the fun loving gal who rode a fire truck when she did not want to, who never missed a chance to do a scam when after a story....and we get flashbacks to early Jack & Jen, when she got him to put a ring on her finger, when he made snow people for her, a couple others. (sigghhh)
They get into some serious conversation, she is talking of him being gone, having to raise the family by herself, he talking of how he returned for keeps, she says but he died, he talks of the months they had, which were so good. She feels he should have had more than just some months. He says she has to start anew, fresh. They talk of the kids being grown, gone, their own lives, partners, etc. So, she is now free, says Jack. She doesn't know what to do, where to start. He talks like the editor he once was, (gosh these scenes are so good) to start with the first sentence, build from there. She always was able to just fill it up fast. She laughs. She is not alone, she is surrounded with help, whether dead or living, they are all around you, all the time.

Lucas has called Julie, who comes with Doug. Jen awakens with a start, seems glad Julie is there, claims she is better now, wants to go up and rest. Julie is going with her, Jen protests, Julie insists, tucks her in upstairs, sits in a chair. Julie comes down when Jen seems asleep, Doug thinks they should move in there until Jen is strong enough to be on her own again. .Jen is awake, just cannot do this, gets up, drops something, goes to pick it up, and finds a pill bottle under the bed. Julie comes in, realizes Jen found a bottle she stashed under the bed, says to give it to her. Jen won't, her back is bad, she needs just one, just one. No, Julie replies, you have made it thru the worse part, don't go back. She reaches for the bottle, Jen slaps her, is immediately contrite, is hugging Julie, I am sorry, I am sorry.

Julie is asleep in the chair, wakes up, Jen is gone, rushes downstairs to tell Lucas & Doug, but they are helping Jen on with her coat. They all assure her they love her, are supporting her, & into a group hug.

Later, they are all at the AA meeting. Maggie is there, Brady has come, Jen is nervous, Lucas says to just sit, listen. People talk and if you want to, you can. It begins with Maggie reciting the Serenity prayer, We see Lucas talking to all, saying something about he could say it's been years, but actually, it always is just one day at a time. He talks just a bit, Maggie asks if anyone else wants to talk. Jen looks uncomfortable, but gets up, goes to the front, saying this is her lst meeting.....she hesitates, but it won't be her last. She looks at Maggie, at Lucas, at Brady....and then, by the window, there is Jack, smiling at her. She finally, slowly, gets out the rest. My name is Jennifer...the people all say, Hi, Jennifer. She looks again at Jack, has teared up a bit.......and she finally gets it out......."and I am an addict".

Last edited:
Confessing, by the end.....I was teared up myself. Really good performances by all involved. Glad Melissa Reeves ( Jennifer) was finally given the material to show newer viewers what she can do when given good material.

I teared up at the last line.

I have been waiting for this recap (no, really. I knew this was the day and I have been refreshing this page for the last 15 minutes or so).
I love everything about this episode. Jennifer often annoys me and so I like that she has a storyline portraying her as broken and flawed.

Thanks for the recap, I am definitely watching this later. :clap:

I so wish that dream-state Jack could come back as in the flesh Jack. I would love to see Jack and Jennifer investigating reporting on Deimos, a whole bunch more than Deimos sheet flapping with Ms. Blue Chunk (Kate) or Belle and boy toy of the moment. Or Dario, Ciara, Claire talking about how horrible their parents are to them. Boo hoo, self absorbed folks.

Looking forward to seeing this.

Loved today's show, loved loved. And could the actor that plays Lucas please share his secret for not aging, cos he looked so young today!! Melissa Reeves looked beautiful in the jail scenes. Only flaw I could see today was that Hope should of been included. They are /were/are best friends and consins.

Last edited:
I teared up more than once! What a great and moving episode. Seeing Jack was so heartbreaking for me! Loved the flashback, how gorgeous they both were (and still today but man oh man!). I loved them all today how they were all there for Jennifer. This is the kind of family stuff the show needs every once in a while. :love:

Definitely more Lucas and can he visit his granddaughter? I am still waiting for an Arianna Grace and Thomas scene!

WOW! Although she isn't my favorite, I was impressed with today's Jen-a- thon. See, the writers are creative and talented, and have the ability to write well and give us great stories, if they really want to. One can only hope they continue on this path, but I think disappointment will win out.

I was so happy to see Lucas!! Then Doug and Julie. Then the scenes with Jack, WOW. Today was a good show. I was so glad that they didn't show any other storylines. Someone said Hope should have been there, however she is so out there herself that she would not have been any help. The stability of Doug and Julie was what Jen needed. Thank you, writers, for a very watchable show.

Jack!!!! Finally, after 6 very long months a great story with Jack & Jennifer. I cried in the last scene & loved the flashbacks. Jack & Jen are magical!

Also like Doug & Julie moving back into the Horton house to make it a home again.

How I wish they would bring back Jack full-time. Thanks for your touching summary Poirot.

Yes, it is good to see some positive posts. This episode shows what the writers can do when they really try instead of concocting throwaway nonsense about snotty teens, the Aiden-Hope-Rafe triangle, and latest bedtime adventures of Kate and her blue-green chunk. It was good to see Lucas, Doug, and Julie, and even better to see Jack. As for Jenny herself, she's often been the unlikable meddling mother and squawking ranter who habitually wore sleeveless dresses in the dead of winter, but her current situation makes sense. In addition to her back pain, she may still be grieving for Jack, is distraught about Abigail being in a mental hospital, stresses about JJ being a cop, probably feels guilty about her rants against the sainted Dr. McScuffy, and knows that she's a poor employee who lets down her employer and fellow hospital workers.

Back