Days of Our Lives - Tues., Nov. 1, 2016

Heather4CU

Reaction score
VERY heavily edited episode today folks so this one may be easier to watch then read about.

At the interrogation room, Hope repeats her confession. Trask and Deputy Mayor want to talk to Justin, Roman and Rafe. Rafe stares at Hope as he leaves. Justin tells her not to say anything until he gets back and shuts the blinds. Outside Chad asks Andre if it’s true. He confirms. Chad enters interrogation room. (Note: he is still in his Zorro costume). He wants to know if this is Andre’s trick or game, Hope doesn’t have to go along with it. Hope admits she did it to Chad. Hope relays the story to Chad. He asks if he threatened her and she can’t describe what it was. Did he have a weapon? Hope says no. She says Stefano was goading her.

Hope was convinced Stefano was the reason Bo died. Chad says he wasn’t and she shot him in cold blood. He wants to know if Stefano suffered. Hope says she thinks he laughed and can’t remember. Chad asks what gave her the right to kill his father. She broke her oath as a cop. Tells her she was very quick to frame his brother because he was on to her. Then he asks about the guy who confessed. Did he deserve it? Chad tells her she is the only person who doesn’t have to pay for what she did. Why is that ok? Tells her she is pathetic.

He knows his family has a history and if she had caught his father committing a crime (he breaks off), he was honored to be part of the Horton family when he married Abby (he goes on about how great the Hortons are). Hope apologizes over and over. She cares about Chad. He knows Stefano did terrible things to her for many years but that doesn’t make what she did ok. Chad leaves and Hope is crying.

Chad comes out and Rafe, Justin and Roman confront him. He was talking to a “member of his family”. Hope’s actions prove that both of their families are capable of living outside the law. Roman says it will be hard for Hope to defend herself. Justin says it’s his job to defend her.

Justin goes to see Hope. She says she can’t fight it. Justin wants to play the PTSD card. She says no she pleaded guilty. She made a deal with Andre that she’d confess. He says that’s not a deal. She says it ends with her and Andre keeps quiet. Justin asks who else. She says to leave it. She tells him to play the recording. He is her attorney and anything she says about a past crime is privileged. She tells him about Rafe and Roman’s roles in the cover up. They are co-conspirators. Justin goes outside and tells Rafe and Roman about the deal. They don’t believe Andre. Justin says the only thing keeping Hope together is knowing that she is protecting the 2 of them. They all need to go to the sentencing hearing.

Rafe chases Chad to HTS. Chad is furious. Rafe is supposed to be his friend. Rafe tries to reason with Chad about Stefano. Chad doesn’t want to hear it. Stefano still didn’t deserve to die. They argue. Rafe plays the Abigail card and compares Abigail/Ben to Hope/Stefano. Then he walks away.

Now Steve is at the Salem PD on the phone with John. We do not see John. He asks a uniform for Roman and Rafe and doesn’t understand what is more crucial. Andre walks up and taunts him about confidence in Salem PD. Andre offers his help. Somehow he already knows Orpheus has Marlena and Kayla. He offers Stefano’s contacts. He will make a few calls. Andre tells Steve about Hope. Note that he refers to Trask as “Acting Prosecutor”. Steve is on the phone with John again. He is going to meet him at the pier. Andre tells him to go to the West Pier as he just made some calls. Steve goes.

Derrick and Paul are at HTS in costume. Paul is dressed like a boxer and Derrick a cowboy. They talk about Sonny but think he is taking Ari trick or treating.

Steve is in the park and calls Paul. Tells him about Orpheus being alive and the kidnapping. John can’t call because his phone died. Steve wants to know if there is any activity at an old Kiriakis import/export office. Paul tells Derrick about Orpheus and that he kidnapped his stepmother and Dr. Brady. Tells Derrick to go alone but he goes with Paul saying he needs backup. They go.

Sonny is at the KMansion. Paul texts Sonny and tells him to come to The Spot with them. Flashback to Paul saying he wants to be friends. Sonny is watching a game and having flashbacks of finding Paul hurt. Gabi calls. It’s actually Ari. They talk about Halloween so cute! They are going to see each other “tonight”. Gabi tells Sonny about Hope. Paul and Derrick show up and ask Sonny if he has any people working at the warehouse on Pier 67. Sonny makes a call and says his contact saw a truck pull up to Warehouse 67 and unload 2 coffins. Warehouse 67 has been boarded up for years and hasn’t been used in over a decade. They discuss why Sonny is home watching the Bears instead of taking Ari out.

Paul calls John and Steve who are now in HTS. They go off to the warehouse. We do see John here.

Kayla and Marlena are screaming for each other and trying to escape. Orpheus tells them not to worry it will be over soon. He pours kerosene on the coffins and taunts them a bit more. Women continue to scream. He says who doesn’t love a good bonfire this time of year? We see him play with a lighter for several scenes. Women are screaming the entire time. Lazlo comes in he is going to make it look like kids on the dock caused the fire. Orpheus goes to check out the escape route. He comes back and they have a plane ready. They’re going to leave Steve and John a pile of ashes as payback. Orpheus ignites the coffins with a lighter. He stares as the very fake looking fire spreads.

We see Steve running through the alley. He sees the fire and is on the phone reporting it. Next we see John and Steve enter the warehouse. Orpheus is just standing there. John runs to the burning coffins and we don’t see him or the coffins again. We see Steve struggle with Orpheus to get control of a gun. He pushes Lazlo away and accidentally shoots Orpheus. Cut to Kayla on a gurney in the alley. She wakes up freaking out and Steve calms her down. Orpheus was shot but is being worked on. Marlena is at the hospital. We never saw the women get rescued. This sequence is very heavily edited. Orpheus is pronounced dead. He had a pulse for 30 minutes and bled out. We see him covered. Note that Steve and Kayla are now standing there hugging.

Paul gets a call that all is clear and Marlena is fine. They are watching the game and talking about costumes. They are watching the Bears but the sound effects don’t sound like football. They toast to Dad, Marlena and Us.

Andre and Chad are now home discussing Hope. The whole town knew before Chad. He is angry that Andre didn’t tell him. Andre says he was unsympathetic when he told him about Hope in the past. Chad says if he’s known about the tape he would have believed Andre. Andre says if that is what it takes to trust him, that’s hurtful. Andre is happy he’s proven Hope killed Stefano in cold blood and justice has been served.

Rafe is now with Hope. Both are sorry. He says he pushed her to do the cover up he should step up. She says he can’t. Roman wouldn’t let him either. Hope says it started with her and it has to end with her. Rafe promises to keep quiet. He says that doesn’t mean he is giving up on her or us. He loves her. She loves him. They hug. And kiss. Enter Roman and Deputy Mayor. Roman apologizes and reads her the Miranda rights. She is crying and staring at Rafe the entire time. END.

Housekeeping note: Tomorrow's summary will be up after the show airs on the West Coast.

This is likely the episode where Drake Hogestyn (John) was severely injured in May. Reports were he suffered the injury while bursting through a door. This probably accounts for the heavy editing today.

edited to add character's name - please remember not everyone knows the actors' real names - JS

Yes, I figured that as well. He only aired for about a minute today so I figure those scenes were either added in later or were from before he was injured. Still haven't seen a scene where he "burst" through a door so that must have been scrapped entirely.

In addition, they don't tape scenes in order, so the quick scenes with him today could've been taped on a different day.

When he and Steve came through the door, John was slightly ahead of Steve. Maybe when they taped the scene from the outside of the door is when he hit his head and that part of the scene was scrapped.

Yes, I figured that as well. He only aired for about a minute today so I figure those scenes were either added in later or were from before he was injured. Still haven't seen a scene where he "burst" through a door so that must have been scrapped entirely.
I think, as originally written, he and Steve burst through the door where the coffins were. I doubt the one scene with John was added later. He didn't go back to work for another four months. It appears totally rewritten on the fly. Marlena not being seen afterwards was a very conspicuous absence. Obviously, there was probably a scene with her and John that needed to be dumped. My guess is you won't hear about where John is for a week or so.

I agree about the odd pacing/editing of the show, but it was great nonetheless. I'm so glad Orpheus is dead and that whole story arc is done. It was good but Marlena and Kayla need some rest and peace for once.

The Hope/Rafe storyline sucks and I think it's awful that she's facing jail time while Stefano did nothing. I do feel for Chad, but at the same time you'd think he'd be more sympathetic. There's no denying that Stefano--who was responsible for Rafe's imprisonment in 2011, Sami's rape at the hands of his clone, and Hope's jail time, among other things--was an awful human being who will not be missed. Father or not, Stefano was evil.

I think, as originally written, he and Steve burst through the door where the coffins were. I doubt the one scene with John was added later. He didn't go back to work for another four months.

I don't think we know any of this as fact. Fans have been making assumptions based on dates of social media posts but that doesn't mean those dates are accurate. Since this is not a spoiler thread, I'm not going to add anything else. All we know is that today's episode was very obviously edited around Drake Hogestyn (John). Based upon what we've seen so far in this storyline, there is no way Steve would suddenly start appearing in scenes without his partner unless there was a good reason for it.

I agree that today was a good episode. It was just very obviously edited. At least make an effort to have it appear cohesive. The Orpheus capture/death scenes were the most glaring editing job. They literally showed Steve shooting Orpheus accidentally and then panned to the alley outside with him and Kayla. No commercial nothing. Same thing in the Salem PD scenes. They kept showing Hope in the interrogation room and then would pan to different characters outside in the office area. And they'd just flip flop back and forth. Very bizarre.

If this is the episode where Drake Hogestyn (John) was injured behind the scenes, I give the show credit for including him as much as they did though. I wasn't expecting that after the initial scene with Steve on the phone.

I liked that Paul was included in the search while he was also involved with Derrick and Sonny. Too bad Brady and Shawn weren't included as well. And I liked Paul referring to Marlena as his stepmother.

Another Hope heavy episode today but not as bad as yesterday. The Hope/Rafe stuff continues to do nothing for me. And I'm annoyed that this overshadowed the Orpheus stuff. Roman and Rafe could have been involved with both stories. The scenes with Chad were terrific. Billy Flynn (Chad) did a great job of staying calm but also showing his anger and sadness.

Father or not, Stefano was evil.

I agree but I don't think Chad has really experienced the evil side of Stefano. He just goes by hearsay. What he has experienced is a loving father who took care of him when he was shot, took him in after his adoptive parents died, supported him, etc. So I could understand how he feels the way he does. All of his kids seemed to have a love/hate relationship with him at one time or another.

I like Derrick. He isn't all possessive of Paul, he wanted to include Sonny, he wanted to back up Paul in case of danger, and he is confident but not cocky. I like Paul in the role of the intelligent PI. I liked the Justin we saw today. I think Chad is hurt and mad due more to Hope and others lying to him, than mourning Stefano. I enjoyed today's show.

I agree but I don't think Chad has really experienced the evil side of Stefano. He just goes by hearsay. What he has experienced is a loving father who took care of him when he was shot, took him in after his adoptive parents died, supported him, etc. So I could understand how he feels the way he does. All of his kids seemed to have a love/hate relationship with him at one time or another.
I really don't understand his attitude. He didn't grow up with Stefano and knows what a terrible person he was. I hope this Hope stuff goes fast, as I'm disgusted with it all. If they hadn't tried to cover it up, she could have pleaded temporary insanity and it would be along past thing.

Thanks, Heather.

Hope did make a deal with Andre. I wonder how that's going to work out for Rafe
and Roman?

Andre saved the day again except Steve wanted further evidence before he and
John rode their horses there to save the day :)

I enjoyed the scenes with Sonny, Derrick and Paul. They seemed to be having a
lot of fun after Marlena and Kayla were rescued.

It was interesting what Rafe said to Chad about what Hope did was like what Abby
did to Ben.

Is Orpheus really, truly dead? Maybe they should cut off his head to be sure.

I don't blame Chad one bit for being upset and angry about Hope killing his father. She flat out lied straight to his face many months ago when he first approached her about it after Andre put that theory in his head. Sure, Chad didn't grow up with Stefano as his father and didn't necessarily have first hand knowledge of all the despicable things he did but it's not like he was completely oblivious to his father's ways. For the most part Chad kept his father at arm's length during their short relationship.

I have to say, I loved Chad's line to Roman, Rafe, and Justin how they always assume the moral high ground but what Hope did is no better than being a DiMera. He's absolutely right. I hate this story of Hope killing Stefano. If he had actually been responsible for Bo's disappearance and Hope just wigged out, then ok. Or if her motivation would have been about Stefano sending Aiden to kill her, sure. But the way this played out with the coverup and everything has just been terrible and I really don't have any sympathy for her or Rafe or Roman. None. I get that Justin is just trying to be her lawyer but trying to use the PTSD or insanity defense after everything that has happened with the coverup, framing Andre, and then letting that other guy take the fall, it just won't work. I see prison in their futures.

For all the mayhem Orpheus caused, he was still a second-rate super-villain compared to Stefano and Andre -- he had no staying power. His crimes were crude and his hideouts easily discovered by John and Steve (naturally not by the Salem P.D.). If a song was going to be composed about him, it might contain the line: "Orpheus, Stefano DiMera laughs at you."

As for the Hope/Rafe/Roman predicament, it's doesn't fly for me simple because it's based on the use of only-in-Salem legal principles. Anywhere else, charming Melinda would be scrambling to find additional evidence because otherwise her hopes of winning a big conviction would go down the drain. As for Hope, maybe everyone shouldn't be so distraught over the thought of her going to prison. After all, she's been there before and was out in a blink of an eye. Sure, she wasn't doing time for murder then -- just muggings -- but members of Salem's in-crowd also do little time for murder (e.g., Nick and Gabi). Who knows, maybe Hope could perform some heroics in prison and return to Salem as a hero while a frustrated Andre fumes.

I was actually shocked when he popped up in HTS halfway through the show. Steve's initial scene on the phone with him was at the beginning of the episode so I didn't think we'd see John at all.
Me too. I was preparing a great snarky comment about it for twitter, then reconsidered given I thought this might have been around the actor's real-life injury. Then he popped up for a second, then Steve did the solo rescue. Very confusing.
I see prison in their futures.
I hope so! They can have a prison wedding, and when they return from the slammer in 6 months, we can move on in the story!! LOL

I was underwhelmed with today's episode. The Paul/Sonny stuff...no thanks. Not buying it. Can't get into it. You tried this in February 2015, remember? The longing looks are getting old.

As above, the lack of John, then his appearance, then disappearance - jarring.

Hope/Rafe - meh. I'm normally a fan of anything Chad does lately, but today was atypical. Sure, Stefano was a doddering old man by the time Chad learned of his parentage, but he has to know what his father was. And specifically, what he did to Hope and Co. Perhaps Kate could enlighten him. Or Roman #1, 2 (aka John), or 2½ (aka the current Roman). I like lawyer Justin though.

André was terrific today. I loved him sticking it to Hope and then helping Steve (while still "busting his chops"). Again, what a feat the writers have pulled off...I am once more singing the praises of André and not wishing he were Tony!

Now on to the really depressing part of the show...the slow burn. This didn't seem like Orpheus's style. It seemed like a cheap gag. It was not suspenseful at all. And the pacing was really, really, really off during the rescue. (Steve and Sonny on a game of telephone tag does not make for a suspenseful show.) I'm not sure if we were meant to see these scenes as quickly paced, or to see the burn as painful and slow.

And...wow. Orpheus came back from nearly a week of being dead, only to be shot in the gut after 4 episodes? Snooze.

Call me crazy, but if I were Steve, I'd have beheaded or drowned Orpheus. Or both. Or tossed him like kindling on the fire after rescuing my Sweetness. I like that he's distrustful of his death, but come on. Let's not hope for a threepeat. That would be...way...too...exci...zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I liked the tale of the Unholy Three over all even though they really didn't accomplish much aside from putting Abe and JJ in the hospital and preventing Claire from checking her YouTube account which perhaps was the greatest crime of all. But it showed unfortunately that for some reason these writers cannot do a satisfying ending.

I just found Orpheus's final reckoning to be confusing more then anything else. But in fairness that may have been more due to editing necessitated by Drake Hogestyn's (John) injury then the writing. But aside from that I can't help but feel this could have been so much more.

I got a kick out of Arianna telling Sonny he could have two pieces of her Halloween candy on the phone and his spliting his costume tights was funny. But the reason why he couldn't join Gabi and Arianna trick-or-treating was why? I just can't see the Sonny I know choosing to drink beer and watch the Bears game over spending time with Arianna. But then I really don't follow hockey.

Back