Days of Our Lives - Tues., Oct. 18, 2016

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Days of Our Lives
Tuesday, October 18, 2016

And don't touch that dial, or remote, folks. Too many heartstopping moments today. Chad wakes up, removes his arm from around the sleeping Gabi (on his shoulder) which wakes her up. She is thanking him for letting her and Ari stay there, gives him a big hug, as JJ walks in. She jumps up, is so glad to see him, he just took a minute to check on her. He gets a call, has to rush off, manages to say a bomb planted at Pub, his mom inside.

At the Pub, John is on phone with Orpheus, who is threatening them all. He hangs up, they all talk of trying to leave, Jen runs upstairs to get Caroline. John's phone rings again, Orpheus is back, right outside the door. John is trying to talk him out of harming everyone, finally offering to go with orpheus himself. They go back and forth, agreement is reached, Orpheus comes in, disarms the bomb electronically. He makes John & Hope give him the clips from their guns, forces Hope to tie John's hands, and they leave. And here comes Jennifer, wearing a vest to which a bomb is attached, shocking both Marlena & Hope, who tries to call the bomb squad, but it will be a while for them.

Hope convinces Marlena to leave, she is staying with Jennifer. At the cop shop, Rafe has a nice talk with his dad, who fills him in about Dario getting injured, but they had a nice talk, etc. Later, Rafe gets a call from Hope, who explains the situation, but Rafe is not the expert on disarming a bomb, knows someone who is, will call her back.

At the hospital, Kayla is all upset because Seth Burns has locked the doors, the injured cannot get in, she cannot do her job. Steve tries to comfort her as she rants, along comes Seth Burns, defending his position. Steve gets a call about John being taken hostage, gets together with Kayla to find a way to sneak out without being observed. She notes, on a map, a door that won't be guarded, kisses him, tells him "go get him".

JJ is on his way to the Pub, is in the square, is on the phone with Gabi, who is anxious, telling him to be careful. Suddenly, JJ sees Orpheus & John, pulls his gun, calls out for Orpheus to drop his, but instead, Orpheus pulls his trigger, down goes JJ. Gabi hears it all, is not getting JJ to answer her. She tells Chad, wants to go out and find JJ, he goes with her. They both are running thru the square when she spots JJ, who is bleeding. He has managed to pull himself up against a bldg. or something, Marlena comes running up now. She has something to staunch the blood, tells Gabi to keep pressure on it. Chad goes to get an ambulance (Marlena says hospital on lockdown, but they have to have an ambulance), but returns, no luck. Marlena is constantly talking encouragingly to JJ. who now has blood coming from his mouth. Chad's car is out of gas, Marlena & Gabi are doing all they can to get JJ to hold on.

In the Pub, Rafe calls Hope back, has his father, who knows more about bombs than he does. She puts her phone in postion to send pic to Eduardo, who then gives her instruction. Remove the red wire. (These are slower scenes, with the phones going in and out, losing contact). Hope does, Jennifer is terrified, expecting with each wire pulled, to be blown to smithereens. Next the blue wire. Hope selects it, Eddie says no, not that one, too obvious. The yellow one. Then finally, the green one. The timer goes out, grins all around, sighs of relief. Job well done.

Hope helps Jennifer remove that vest, Jen is hugging her cousin, who did not leave her. Hope says she never will. More hugs. Rafe calls Hope, who asks him to thank his father again, he already did. He tells her he loves her, she says they will talk soon.

Orpheus has taken John to the penthouse, it is dark inside. John is still trying to get Orpheus to forget harming all these people, but Orpheus is very bitter, talks of how he felt when his wife died "at your hands" (thought that was Roman), and his only regret was being unable to get Roman to the Pub as well. He goes on about being left for dead on that island, how horrible it was, and then how his children rejected him, when he tried to connect with them again, want nothing to do with him.

He orders John to his knees, pointing the gun at John's forehead, then goes around behind John, with his gun at the back of John's head. John tells him to at least face him, if he is going to do this. Orpheus says that nothing can stop him now, as we see the door behind Orpheus open, and Steve's voice saying "I can". His gun is pointed at the back of Orpheus's head.

Checkmate!

It's amazing how Patchy Boy so quietly opened that door without even a squeak. So amazing how Jen just showed up all of a sudden. Very smooth, Days, very smooth. Plus Patch got there real quick and knew exactly where to go. Man, he got some smarts on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those of you who recorded the show. There was a scene, early on, in the Pub, where I could swear that way in the background, a female, wearing white, was moving. Yet there was no one else in the Pub, supposedly, except those major characters. I have to try and pay close attention to what is being said and done up close......and I don't record, so cannot go back and look. There was another scene where I could swear someone else was in the background. ??????

Poirot - I saw that too, it looked like the person was squeezing in between something. Then a few minutes later, after John & Orpheus left, there was reflection of someone in the mirror. I was going to rewind it during commercial but then forgot.

Oh, also thanks for the write up! Can't wait to watch tonight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kudos to the writers. Although everybody knew that Jenny and Hope weren't going out with a bang and that TPTB would never destroy the Pub set, they did manage to squeeze some suspense out of the bomb-disarming scene. As for the time frame involved, the read-out on Jenny's bomb was initially about five-and-a-half minutes. Fortunately for her and Hope, the concept of extended Salem time applied here, giving Rafe and Eduardo the longest five minutes in Salem history to defuse the bomb. Over at the Town Square, JJ joined the pantheon of "seige" heroes, by getting shot while trying to arrest Orpheus, which also put him in that select group of Salemites who've been shot. Finally, Orpheus shouldn't have been so upset because his children "rejected" him. He should realize that this is a common thing in Salem -- Stefano rejected by Tony, John rejected for a while by Brady, Eduardo rejected by slimy Dario, etc.

Those of you who recorded the show. There was a scene, early on, in the Pub, where I could swear that way in the background, a female, wearing white, was moving. Yet there was no one else in the Pub, supposedly, except those major characters. I have to try and pay close attention to what is being said and done up close......and I don't record, so cannot go back and look. There was another scene where I could swear someone else was in the background. ??????
Yes, I saw it too. I thought that person was coming forward, but then she/it just wasn't there.

Finally, Orpheus shouldn't have been so upset because his children "rejected" him. He should realize that this is a common thing in Salem -- Stefano rejected by Tony, John rejected for a while by Brady, Eduardo rejected by slimy Dario, etc.
John should've said to Orpheus: "let me tell you about the beautiful baby girl I raised for many years and thought of as my own". By the time he was done with his tale of Samantha Gene, Orpheus would've been giving back the 20 million and taking him to the pub for a beer with his sincerest apologies.

What an intense episode! It felt like it was taking Hope about 3 times as long as it should have to disarm that bomb. I hope JJ is ok. Is Marlena going to have to do some impromptu surgery in the square on him? If so, I hope she can channel her inner Dr. Dan the miracle man.

I thought the scenes with Orpheus and John were really good and I loved when Steve showed up at the end. Can't wait to see how this all ends!

Thanks, Poirot.

The person in white was a man. There was doctor and other people in the pub at the
end of the Monday's show. I guess they moved to another area after the bomb was found.

I was surprised Hope turned the table upside down. It could have gone off then.

Today not a good day if your name started with "J". Jennifer had a bomb put on her, JJ
got shot and John was taken by Orpheus.

What a kiss Kayla gave Steve :love:

We found out today Rafe knows what Dario did when he hired the man to hurt Rafe.

Did history change again in Salem? John called Orpheus his old partner. I thought Roman was.

I laughed when Hope's phone lost the signal the first time because that happens all the time
in Salem. And it's a miracle the cell phones are still working with no power in town.

A good show today. We'll have to watch tomorrow to see if Orpheus is actually arrested
and if JJ gets to the hospital in time.

Great show aside from the obvious historical issues. I too thought Orpheus' partner was Roman and Roman was the one who killed Rebecca. But today he said it was John. And then he mentioned not being able to hurt Roman too. So what is he mad at Roman about???

And wasn't Hope part of the Stockholm storyline too? Kudos to the writers for finally involving her in this but Orpheus treating her like a stranger seemed odd. Today proved that Hope and Rafe are much more enjoyable separate than together. It was nice to see them in other storylines and then working together as cops to dismantle the bomb. I could have done without Rafe's phone call at the end. I would have preferred someone call Jen or Hope with news about JJ.

I don't understand why Jen was the one with the bomb. It should have been Marlena or even Kayla instead. But maybe this is leading somewhere for Jen. She needs her own storyline or 2.

Loved that they dismantled the bomb via video call. Nice added touch.

Poor JJ!!! I hope he is ok and I hope Gabi doesn't leave his side.

Steve and Kayla were filler but good filler with a purpose. They mentioned the morgue is not monitored. Let's remember that.

Perfect ending! Let's hope they pick this back up again tomorrow and not next Wednesday.

Ha! Yeah, really.

Anyway, something just occurred to me: if Sonny hadn't went looking for Paul and found him at the townhouse, Orpheus and John would have stumbled upon his (possibly) dead body. :eek::(

I guess to Orpheus, Roman and John are interchangeable.
In an otherwise stellar (and I'm talking mid-1990s level good, seriously) episode featuring a rootable Rafe with his dad, a shocking near-death (JJ), and Hope in full good cop mode caring for her friends (get out, Marlena) and family (cuz Jennifer), this had me absolutely flummoxed. John was Orpheus's partner? No...come on...seriously...still though I give this episode 999.7/1000. :)
this is a common thing in Salem -- Stefano rejected by Tony, John rejected for a while by Brady, Eduardo rejected by slimy Dario, etc.
And Kate rejected by Lucas every third week, and by Philip every fifth month.
Today proved that Hope and Rafe are much more enjoyable separate than together.
:clap::clap::clap::clap:Beyond a reasonable doubt!

Is this the first appearance of the long-mentioned Seth Burns? I was thinking he'd be forever unseen, like Maris Crane, Lars Lindstrom, or Vera Peterson.
There was a scene, early on, in the Pub, where I could swear that way in the background, a female, wearing white, was moving.
It looked like they were hostages. I think this one stood out because of the white against the dark furniture. I'll check for the mirror person later.

Back