Days of Our Lives - Wed., Aug. 19, 2015

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Days of Our Lives
Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Today's episode written by new headwriters Josh Griffith & Dena Higley, a rather mixed bag. Replay of JJ trying to open the safe in Kyle's apt., with Paige opening the door, seeing him. He puts his fingers to his lips, she motions him to hide as Kyle comes in. He sees the open safe, starts having a fit, but the money is all there, untouched. He talks of searching, maybe the person is still there, JJ is hiding behind the sofa, Paige distracts Kyle. Flirting, questioning about the money, talk of him changing into a better person. He starts kissing her, she pulls away, more chatter along the same lines. Finally, she grabs him, big passionate kiss, JJ sneaks out (she has made sure Kyle's back is to where JJ has to travel out the door. And, when Kyle gets all turned on, she abruptly says, no, I have to go, dashes out.

Hope runs into Julie in the square, and as much as I love Julie, their nice conversation is so long, and with Julie changing her tune every 20 seconds. She firsts notes how happy Hope is with Aiden, then begins to go on about Bo, then they talk of how Bo abandoned his family "in favor ofl his job", and Hope even mentions how Bo took Caroline to CA and never came back home. (nope, not true, he did, for a very short time, but was invisible, always picking Ciara up from school, taking her somewhere, etc.) Hope is very happy now, so Julie is, too, for her. Hope takes off with her smoothies to meet Aiden at his hotel room.

But Aiden has opened his hotel room door to a guy with a ski mask pulled over his face, who punches him, down Aiden goes. Aiden is on the floor, jumps up, is fighting back, but asking who are you, why are you here. And Clyde pulls off the mask, starts yelping at Aiden about investigating him, more fighting, choking. Yuk. But Aiden is not scared off, tells Clyde he has info on him he is going to give to the cops, Clyde threatens him, his son, & Hope, but Aiden doesn't back down. He is bleeding from his nose, more attacking and fighting by the two (gosh, so horrible), down goes Clyde who admits he has had enough, but then picks up a big vase, smashes it over Aiden's head, down goes Aiden, and Clyde procedes to kick, punch and kick some more, as he repeats his threats, and leaves.
Aiden lies on the floor, groaning, his cell phone rings, he crawls over, answers it, only says o.k. He then knocks over a lamp, opens a few drawers, partially pulling out contents, then his wallet, taking out money, putting some in his pocket. A knock at the door, it is Hope. He quickly throws money and something else (credit card??) out the window, and drops to the floor, head resting against the bed, as Hope comes in, her smile disappearing from her face, as she drops to her knees on the floor beside him, laying her head on his shoulder. (???)

Rafe runs into John who is on his way to meet Marlena, is running late, but he gets a call from her, as she is running late, too. they will meet in 45 min in the park. So Rafe & John sit and have a coffee, get to talking about police work, bartending work, John mentioning Hope asking him some questions about some crook. Rafe lets John know Hope is trying hard to get the goods on Clyde, and cannot come up with a thing, Roman comes up with nothing, and even Rafe, on the side, comes up with nothing. But the guy is dirty. John talks to Rafe about applying again to get on the force, things have changed, and Rafe is such a good cop.

Later, Rafe runs into Hope, on her way to Aiden's, tells her of John's suggestion. It seems that when Gabi confessed she told a lot that Rafe really never knew about Nick, but since he manned up anyway, he could possibly get back on the force. Hope is delighted, a fabulous idea, so glad to hear it. She has to go now.

In the park, Marlena sits on a bench, along comes Julie, both so glad to see each other. More sincere chatter about relationships, working ways back to each other, love, etc. Hugs.

Marlena is on the phone with Roman, hangs up as John appears, bouquet of flowers in hand. He goes on about them having their highs, so high in the sky, and their troubled times, but how he thinks they are really on the right path back to each other. Marlena is quiet, then says she just hung up on Roman who wanted her to ask him how many days are left before he leaves the police force, and begins with the ISA. Cue John to look rather uncomfortable.

Elsewhere in the park, JJ is on the phone with Watts, telling him what happened, and how he wants Kyle Southern to go down, and NOW. Watts is declining, JJ is very insistent. He hangs up, Paige comes out of the bushes. JJ makes excuses, tells her to get lost, but she heard every single word. He is working for the DEA, figures out his mother knows, which is why she acted the way she did. JJ denies this at first, but finally tells Paige she cannot tell anyone, no one. She asks if he is doing this because of her.

Rafe is bartending, Clyde saunters in, orders a double of something. Neat. Rafe comments someone must be having a bad day. Nope, actually, the day has been very productive, smiles Clyde.

Today was a mixed bag indeed but mostly a good one. Higley/Griffith are wasting no time in fixing the previous regime's mistakes. And I think the characters featured today are very telling, aside from JJ/Paige/Kyle. I think these 3 were only on because they also play into the Clyde stuff.

Yes Rafe you DO belong working as a detective!!! But I couldn't help but wish it were Sami who was reassuring him instead of Hope.

I thought the Hope/Julie scenes were great and I'm glad they covered the fact that Bo chose to leave his family. He wasn't forced to. That's obviously setting up for more storyline. I'm willing to suspend some disbelief here as well as long as the overall story flows properly.

The Clyde/Aiden scenes were great too. It almost appeared they were doing their own stunts? Clyde was extra creepy and I liked that Aiden was fighting back. Now who called him?

I don't care for the JJ/Paige/Kyle stuff but again I think it was featured because of the Clyde connection and setting up for later.

Marlena and John both looked fabulous! And John joining the ISA?! Yes! I did not like the fact that Marlena had a 30min gap where she didn't air at all but I'm hoping that will be fixed quickly.

I like what I see so far!

Aiden is bleeding over the carpet and asking Clyde why he's there and threatening to reveal what he knows. How about he stop talking and defend himself before the psycho starts hitting him again. Too late, the crazy throws something to distract Aiden and starts beating him again. And how did the other hotel guests not hear all of the commotion in that room and call the front desk :rotfl:

So according to Julie, Bo never came home after taking Caroline to California. And no mention of the letter John brought back, but Hope mentions phone calls from Bo saying he wasn't going to make it home. Those phone calls could have been forced on him. Just as Clyde threatened to harm Chase and Hope to keep Aiden from talking, someone could have been threatening Hope and Ciara to keep Bo from telling the truth about what was happening to him.

I'm with Julie, how does Hope know that all of Aiden's secrets are out in the open. That leads me to believe there are things Hope doesn't know about.
Kyle called Paige Mr. Spock. :rotfl: That's right, I even watched Paige/JJ scenes today! Proud of me LOL. Meanwhile Kyle talks to Paige likes she a first grader.

That's all I can think of right now. I have to do a rewatch.

There were actually two doubles listed, one for Aiden, and one for Clyde, but I do agree they did a lot of their own stuff.
I do concur that Griffith/Higley jumped right into moving and fixing. I like that Julie is sort of the way to get "back story" into focus for newer viewers.
When I saw David Cherril wrote the show, I said to myself, boy, Heather was right about accounting for the violence.
After what Aiden did in trying to make it all look like a robbery, am guessing his phone call was from law enforcement, feds, something like that.

Thanks for the summary. Wasn't able to watch it today. A decent episode. I liked all the vets interacting with each other and getting a lot of screen time. The new writers are on a good start!! It also seems like John at the ISA and Rafe at the Salem PD is back in the works...about time!!!!:clap::clap:

Glad to see the JJ/Paige thing is starting to work out with her not being as mean to him, but I'm guessing that's only to tie this story up with Clyde. Speaking of which, he's just downright TERRIBLE!!! I'm so ready for him to die already!! Poor Aiden!

Line of the Day from Aiden to Clyde: "I know you think you're the Don Corleone of the South" :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I agree about other hotel guests not hearing the fight. Ridiculous! Plus Hope hugging him at the end was stupid. Her 1st instinct as a cop and 1st responder should have been to help him stop the bleeding.

It was good to see Susan Seaforth Hayes (Julie) getting so much screen time and having good scenes with both Marlena and Hope. As Marlena says, she and Doug are Salem role models. It's just unfortunate that so few Salemites actually emulate them. Elsewhere, Aiden talks way too much. He's lucky Clyde came armed only with his fists and not a gun, or he'd be dead. Speaking of Clyde, he should thank Rafe for saving his life. If he hadn't held up Hope, she'd have walked right in on the battle of the ages, and the trigger-happy detective might have sent the Poplar Bluff pervert to join his ancestors. Finally James Bond would gag if he heard about JJ's stab at being a secret agent. How long will it be before everyone except Clyde and Kyle know what he's doing?

I'm a bit puzzled about this whole Rafe getting reinstated thing. I thought it was always known that Rafe knew about Gabi's involvement in Melanie's kidnapping after the fact. He was fired because he knew and kept it quiet. At least that's been my understanding. So what I'm not getting is what exactly has changed? I just feel like I'm missing something here. :confused:

On the other hand, if it means that Rafe gets his badge is back on the force where he belongs I'm willing to let it slide. Because seeing him serve drinks and manage The Edge of the Square hasn't exactly had me on the edge of my seat.

Aiden and Don Corleone of the South (darn I wish I had come up with that): Well that didn't have quite the swerve I was hoping for. Although I was glad to see Aiden hold his own and wasn't just a human punching bag. Then of course the human cesspit had to pull what in professional wrestling be considered a classic "heel" move and resort to using a foreign object, the vase. I have really really come to hate that guy.

I will say that I'm getting the feeling this is finally leading somewhere, and his smug assertion to Rafe that "things are going my way again" had the sound of famous last words to my ears. That may be wishful hoping but this story just finally feels like it's building momentum after spending the last year on a leisurely stroll through meadows and picking flowers.

Oh and yes I DO watch professional wrestling. My intellectual pursuits are wide and varied. LOL :back:

See...boys and girls, that Aiden isn't all sweetness. I don't trust that lawyer. I cant imagine that Slimy Clyde would go to a up and up attorney, he has Aiden's number and today's slap and dash answered that.

I really liked Julie's chat with both Marlena and Hope.

Marlena had a beautiful "look of love" when she was listening to Julie--nice work LADIES.

Even if I didn't already know this was the new writers material I would be able to tell something was different with this episode. It heavily featured vets, especially Julie who had good scenes with both Hope and Marlena. It felt too like the scenes were longer, like it wasn't quite as jumpy as it usually is. And just the dialogue was different and very "in a new direction". The Paige/JJ/Kyle story is still awful but I'm hoping JJ will tell Paige the truth or she will figure it out which will lead to her death. Fingers crossed.

I love how the writers basically are going to undo the whole Rafe being fired from the force fiasco with just a simple flick of the pen. Good. Get him back at the PD or in the ISA, FBI, whatever. Anything but being a bar manager.

Marlena looked fantastic today and I so look forward to her and John's scenes tomorrow.

I hate to say it but it looks like one of the writers' first orders of business was to throw Aiden under the bus. Between the conversation with Hope/Julie to the way he apparently is covering for Clyde by making it look like a robbery is just so obvious to me.

I enjoyed the show except for the fight... tired of violence.

I cried when Marlena talked to Julie about her and Doug.

Loved Hope and Julie's talk too.

Blabbermouth Roman had to tell Marlena about John joining the ISA...
Will John be able to talk to her about that and make her smile

And blabbermouth Aiden told Clyde he has the goods on
him. I wonder if we'll ever know what that is.

JJ was lucky the door was left so he could sneak out.

Line of the Day from Aiden to Clyde: "I know you think you're the Don Corleone of the South" :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I agree about other hotel guests not hearing the fight. Ridiculous! Plus Hope hugging him at the end was stupid. Her 1st instinct as a cop and 1st responder should have been to help him stop the bleeding.
Exactly what I said. Hope is a cop and you would think she would run in and give Aiden medical attention! And the fight between Clyde and Aiden seemed really dumb when they kept stopping and starting again!

I remarked on twitter that it couldn't be more obvious this was the new writers' work if it had said "WRITTEN BY DENA HIGLEY AND JOSH GRIFFITH" in 70-point font.

I'm not loving the Aiden stuff...too violent, and I feel it's a setup in the wrong direction...but we'll see. Dislike the drama between John & Marlena over him rejoining the ISA...which apparently is great but I'm not feeling it. :)

LOVE Rafe getting back onto the force easily. And I loved seeing Julie act as the mother-figure that Salem's been missing for about 10 years now.

Better DAYS ahead!!

So according to Julie, Bo never came home after taking Caroline to California. And no mention of the letter John brought back, but Hope mentions phone calls from Bo saying he wasn't going to make it home. Those phone calls could have been forced on him. Just as Clyde threatened to harm Chase and Hope to keep Aiden from talking, someone could have been threatening Hope and Ciara to keep Bo from telling the truth about what was happening to him.
It's weird because I remember after Bo went with Caroline to LA Hope mentioned 2 weeks later that Bo came back and left again. And then Hope and Ciara joined Bo at Shawn, Belle and Claire's for Christmas that year.

Hope and Ciara returned and said Bo stayed behind to spend time with Shawn, Belle and Claire. Then she said Bo called and took on some work with her permission. And then she got various calls from Bo and then the letter from Bo saying her was going deep undercover.

These new writers must be rewriting some things to make things with Bo more believable.

This Rafe and Hope stuff is making me feel really uncomfortable! It's annoying and cringe worthy!
Rafe just looks so stupid! He needs a new woman in his life instead of acting like a love sick puppy around Hope! I wish he would just leave her alone and accept she's in love with Aiden and in a committed relationship with him!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was annoyed by Julie's questioning of Aiden's honesty with Hope, making it seem like Bo never lied to or deceived Hope. The white washing of Saint Bo has officially commenced. Ugh.

See...boys and girls, that Aiden isnt all sweetness.

I don't recall Aiden ever proclaiming himself to be some perfect saint.

Last edited:
Back