Days of Our Lives - Wed., July 20, 2016

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Days of Our Lives
Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Today is an unusual episode, intense in places, and I cannot do justice to telling the tale. But Rafe is asleep on the floor, and has bad dreams/nightmare. He is trying to get out that door, but knows he is dreaming (he still is) gets up to check on Hope, change her bandages. Only the one covering her wound now is blood soaked, Hope is dead. He keeps saying no, no, in comes Aiden, laughing over how rafe killed her. (this is all weird, but then it is a dream). Rafe goes after Aiden, choking him with the tie Aiden had draped around his shoulders. Aiden is laughing, Rafe cannot kill him. Andre comes in, more insults, references to how Rafe's snooping into Aiden's blood work, etc. etc. the whole thing, led to Hope's death. Eduardo arrives, tries to convince Rafe that all he did was good, that he took control of the situation. But they argue over Eduardo leaving the family to go kill people, leaving some women without husbands, children without their fathers.

Rafe is grieving, sobbing, along comes Dario, telling him to let it go, move on. Rafe loved Hope so much. That may be but he has to live his life now. &Yes, they argue as well, since Dario always seems to just turn his back on what he doesn't like, and leave.

Along comes Mami, sorry for his loss, sorry she did not realize how happy Hope made him. Andre & Aiden return, more taunting of Rafe. Gabi has arrived, joining Mami in telling Rafe he is better and stronger than those two. He tells Eduardo to give him the gun. Eduardo is reluctant but does, Aiden is laughing, you cannot kill me. Rafe shoot, Aiden is shocked, how did you do that, as he looks at the bullet hole in his body. Rafe shoots a few more times, down Aiden goes. Andre is laughing, did not think Rafe had it in him, calls him a murderer, how does it feel, now you are just like me, a monster. Rafe shoots Andre, down he goes. His family says nothing, but just stands and stares. Doug also comes along, gives Rafe heck for not being more forceful with Hope, and how he felt, for standing back and letting Aiden "get" to Hope with his lies, etc. Rafe goes to the bed, Hope's voice is heard saying why did you not fight harder for me. He is talking to an empty bed now. Everyone else is gone. Along come Ciara & Shawn, berating him for not taking care of their mother as he promised, and now they are leaving with her.

Rafe is talking of how much he loved Hope, to please come back to him, come back. He is crying, sobbing, is on the floor. And then, he wakes up, checks on Hope, is scared, but checks her throat pulse. Yes, she is alive, thank God. He touches her face, she barely comes to, he assures her is there, right there, she is talking of having to save him. He smiles, says he is going to try and get that door open, get them out of there.

He goes out to the door, is pounding on it. She is hearing this, and now.....honestly, don't know whose dreaming here, I think it is Hope. Various scenes that melt into each other of their past....when he gave her the necklace. Then it is when they kissed, how surprised they were over it, but that melds into another scene (you can tell by the change in clothing, tho the conversations seem to flow together). Hope, on the bed, can hear the pounding. Over by the door, Rafe is getting frustrated, but finds a rock, and uses that on the door, and amazingly, eventually, he breaks the lock, the door opens, he begins yelling for help, we need help down here. Back to Hope, who is laying still, her eyes open.

Last edited:
I forgot today was a Rafecentric episode til I was annoyed he was still on. I don't know if they are hoping this is going to get us all on the Hope/Rafe train it is not working for me. I do not like them as a couple at all. I don't like that Bo "picked" Rafe for Hope. They need to bring in a new character for Hope. You know like they did with Aide, just don't throw him under the bus! Hope and Aiden could have been great. I really liked them together. They could have had Aiden step aside and let Hope deal with a dying Bo. Just not liking being force fed Hope and Rafe.

I think this was to show us that while Rafe was always looking out for Hope, he really did have deep feelings for her, but was reluctant to push for himself. She obviously cared about him, but he always treated her like his partner, he cared about her, but give her plenty of space. Which may not have been the best thing for either of them.

I don't particularly care about them as a couple one way or another. I really like Rafe, Hope is fine, I do think both should have been paired with others, but.....of late...Days' attempts at putting people together has not worked out all that well, so, instead of trying to make couples.....why not just let people interact, and see what happens.

But, overall, this was a good episode, in my opinion. I liked that Rafe was wrestling with his conscience, that tho laid back and usually pretty mild mannered, he wanted to say/do something different with the things that had bothered him.

Nope. Did not watch one minute of this episode. I am beginning to hate these "special" episodes. This is about the 5th or 6th one this year! Enough. Sorry, but I just do not care for this pairing or the storyline and having an entire episode revolving around it only adds to my disinterest.

Thanks for the write-up though, Poirot. :)

I still don't like Rafe and Hope together, but I did enjoy the episode.
I was fine with it until like the Energizer Bunny, Rafe's nightmare kept going and going and going. He certainly has a talent for detailed dreams, which made it mighty crowded in Stefano's tunnel. All that were missing were:

Sami: "Hope would be still be alive if you were half the man my darling, changed, smoochy-moochy is/was";

EJ: "You're so right, sweet hot";

Roman: "Dammit, Rafe, wake up -- Hope's still alive";

Kate: "None of this would've happened if you hadn't ended our relationship";

Stefano: "Fool, you had to realize that my murder would be avenged, yes";

Jordan: "My cat, Arthur, says hi."

Last edited:
why not just let people interact, and see what happens.
Hear, hear...but first they must fix the taping schedule. Case in point: Sonny/Will/Paul. Additional case: Brady/Jeannie T
Sorry, but I just do not care for this pairing or the storyline and having an entire episode revolving around it only adds to my disinterest.
Ditto.

Today is an unusual episode, intense in places, and I cannot do justice to telling the tale.

Thanks Barb, I completely understand after watching. Good to see Galen Gerring (Rafe) finally getting extensive exposure with worthy material. Also good to see so much interaction between Rafe and the others characters (family members and foes) impacted by the situation. Great job done by whoever directed the episode the visual impact was also well done.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh hey Gabi!

So, Rafe's nightmare/conscience included Doug, Shawn and Ciara but not Julie?

I'm also over these stand alone episodes. They don't advance storyline and Hope has now been part of 4 of them: Bo's death, Aiden's return, the cabin dream and now this one. ENOUGH!

The only time I'll watch another one of these stand alones is if it's celebrating 40 years of Marlena in Salem.

I don't know if they are hoping this is going to get us all on the Hope/Rafe train it is not working for me. I do not like them as a couple at all.

Hope and Rafe push is backfiring.

I don't like that Bo "picked" Rafe for Hope.

It's insulting that Hope can't seem to snag a decent guy on her own so Bo has to pick him for her.

They need to bring in a new character for Hope. You know like they did with Aide, just don't throw him under the bus!

That's not happening as long as Dena Higley is in power. And if it does, it will be the same old cycle as with Bo and Hope, Rafe will betray Hope all he wants with or without another woman. She will take him back again and again, and if she turns to other men she will be the only one made to feel guilty for daring to stray.

I only got 14 minutes of the show recorded. "Somebody" changed channels while it was recording. :rolleyes: I don't mind too much though. Not sure that I wouldn't get restless watching it anyway. I like Rafe, and I'm glad he got the airtime, but I'm not crazy about these one-person episodes they've been doing lately. Also, at first, I was really against Rafe and Hope as a couple. Now, I don't have strong feelings one way or the other. I guess I'm a little bit cynical about "romance" in entertainment these days. It doesn't appeal to me like it did in the old movies, where less detail was given to the physical aspects.

I felt this episode was done to get the fans to see how much Rafe really loved Hope so they will get on the bandwagon. The problem I have is that I do feel the love he has for her, but I do not feel the love she has for Rafe. She only seems to need him and for that I question why. She has never been a needy person and I really miss that Hope. I would have much preferred a daring duo in the Salem PD instead. It could have been fun.

You do have a point. Hope did, after all, choose Aiden romantically, not Rafe, who was her police partner, the one she depended upon and who worked so well with her. In fact, I believe that was mentioned within Rafe's dream. Aiden chided Rafe for being jealous that Hope chose him, that they went away and he knew Aiden would be having Hope in his arms, yada, yada.

So, while we have been shown how very much Rafe cares about Hope, yep, not the vice versa. Oh, sure, Hope is now angry with Aiden because she learned he lied to her again after he escaped his cage. And she realizes that while he may not have been able to go through with killing her, he WAS planning to do so, right up to the very end. He got in bed with the DiMeras, and if they were threatening his son, he could have gone to the police. But no, he plotted to kill her. O.K. so she has his number now.

That does not make her suddenly all in fuzzy love with Rafe.

Things look pretty "hopeless" for Hope. She has been written into a corner and there is no recovering her in a realistic way. This writing has been an insult to the loyal Days fans who have followed her since childhood. She was bold, sassy, loving, STRONG-willed, daring, ornery and more. Everyone grows up and usually become a mature version of their younger self. She is unrecognizable.

It is understandable that actors want to spread their acting wings and take on meatier roles. But when you break so far from the core of the individual you lose their fan base. You cannot make the murder of Stefano go away. You cannot change that she is not present in her daughter's life. The only time Hope seems to trying to parent is when she uses Ciara's middle name. My middle name was used to inform me that I was in serious trouble.

Rafe is a great guy who deserves better than Hope or Blanca. He had much more chemistry with Nicole. That matchup could work.

Are we next going to have an single episode for Maggie where she finally figured out the stupid Summer story.

Does ever every major character get their own episode? It was novel but this time is NOT the charm.
Wake up Mr. Corday.

squint.jpg

Back