Days of Our Lives - Wed., Nov. 30, 2016

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Days of Our Lives
Wednesday, November 30, 2016

A mixture today, fun, romance, disappointment, and some "could care less, but what is she up to". LOL

Rafe is at Steve's place, asking for his help in getting Hope out of prison. Steve is all for it, promised Bo to look out for Hope and the kids, Rafe did, too. So, they will work together. Rafe is gone when Kayla comes home, he tells her of Rafe's visit, although he says Rafe was talking a bit crazy. She asks if it was Steve Johnson crazy, he admits it was. They cozy up on the sofa, mention Joey & the baby mama are out and about, the house to themselves for a while. Some kissing, and teasing, and hand in hand, off to the bedroom. Later, Steve comes into the living room, was surprised Kayla was gone when he came from the shower. She is in a robe, looking thru a photo album of old pics. They look together, commenting on their cute little children, Stephanie in her soccer uniform, Joe mugging for the camera. Kayla sighs at how quickly they grow up, and now Joey is having a baby of his own, they will be granparents. Steve thinks she is one sexy gramma. She calls him Grampa, they kiss.

Adrienne wakes up, throwing off her veil, to find Lucas & Justin sitting watching her. Justin gives her a hard time about falling asleep, grinding her teeth, she denies it, lots of shouting about it, arguing, Lucas is agreeing with Justin that she does it, name calling by Justin, Sonny comes rushing in, pulls her out of there. He scolds her, she has to decide between them, is not fair to either one, or herself. She goes back in, he is parked outside again, along comes Paul, who gets a brief update. (This scene just seems so awkward and disjointed). He is giving Sonny a neck rub, Sonny thanks him, Paul leaves.

In the square, Claire & Theo are talking, she is rather forward, kisses him as Ciara comes along, watches. They make a date for a concert on the pier tonight (gosh, outside concert end of November. Amazing.:sarcasm:) They talk of boyfriend/girlfriend, Theo leaves to call dad to say he won't be home tonight. Claire spots Ciara, asks her what would be a good Christmas gift for Theo, since they are now boyfriend/girlfriend. Ciara is reluctant, but mentions a baseball card he always wanted of Ron Santo, (former 3rd baseman for the Cubs). Ciara leaves, theo returns, got hold of his dad, now wants to invite Ciara since she seems to be alone. Claire says nay, has an idea how they can help Ciara.

Meanwhile, Rafe has come upon the downcast Ciara, who fills him in on her unrequited caring for Theo, and lack of a love life. Rafe suggests if Claire & Theo are a couple, time for Ciara to move on.

Claire seeks out Paul to help her find the baseball card, then mentions some secret project, for which she might want to borrow his spy gear. He says they are not toys, he cannot just lend them out, what is this all about. She can't tell him, but asks just for the Santo card. He goes to make a call, she tells herself she will get those spy items a different way.

Theo is with Ciara who was debating about online dating....but has not posted her profile yet. He offers to help, starts filling things out, including her fav book, Little Women, both commenting how they know everything about each other. He posts it for her.

Now to the prison, where Hope is using the computer in the all purpose room, 2 prisoners come in, telling the guard there is a fist fight in the laundry room, she rushes off, they give Hope a hard time, want the computer themselves, admit they are the ones who tore her picture of her family. Hope isn't swayed, they give her a hard time, she gets up, shuts the computer off, here you go. They attack her, short battle, she manages to get out of the choke hold, they are about to attack again, a voice rings out.....Back off, NOW. And there is Hattie Adams, , and the 2 women retreat to a corner. Hope calls her Marlena, but sassy Hattie corrects her, & sits down for some conversation. (Truly, fun scenes)

She warns Hope that as a cop, she is not safe, but Hattie can help her hold her own. Calls her Slim, tells her she is an 8 in holding her own, needs to get up to an 11 with Hattie's help. She give some hints, rules, and wants something in return. When she manages to get out of there, she wants Hope to help her meet up with Mr. Roman. LOL. Hope gets a kick out of it, they fist bump in agreement. Hattie gets up as Rafe arrives, she starts to flirt, he calls her Marlena, she rolls her eyes, tells Hope to fill him in. But Hope only says it is a long story. In the corner, the 2 women decide that Hope needs to be eliminated, and it can be done without Hattie's knowing about it.

Back to the hotel where Sonny is insisting Adrienne has to make up her mind. Well, she has, and in tears, she makes heartfelt comments to Lucas, and to Justin, about all they meant in her life, etc. Sonny asks....so which one? She says I made my decision...It's......her eyes sort of roll back, and she is down on the floor, unconscious.

Thanks for the summary. Yup, how you described the show in the first few sentences of this write-up is accurate. The whole Lucas/Adrienne/Justin thing is so oddly put together and being dragged out for soooo long. Enough already! I do hope Adrienne is OK though and wonder what's going on.

The teens were actually pretty entertaining today. I'd like to see more of this kind of thing than the garbage we've been getting from them. I also enjoyed Rafe and Patch interacting. That could be a good friendship. Hope and Hattie seem fun too, but can someone explain who Hattie is? I don't know her background. Isn't Marlena's twin named Samantha?

but can someone explain who Hattie is? I don't know her background. Isn't Marlena's twin named Samantha?
Marlena's twin is Samantha and she's dead. She was murdered by the Salem Strangler (Jake Kositchek), thinking she was Marlena. All of Salem thought it was Marlena who had been killed (Marlena was out of town and let Sam stay in her apartment for the weekend). It wasn't until the autopsy they discovered it wasn't Marlena due to the body had never given birth, while Marlena had (to her son DJ, who died of SIDS a few years prior).

Marlena was at the Gate House (a house on the lake) alone. Don Craig (her former husband) went to the Gate House to mourn her death and was stunned to find her alive and well. When he told her he saw her dead body, she didn't understand, but then was horrified to realize it was Samantha who had been killed.

Years later, Hattie Adams was a waitress with a slight resemblance to Marlena. Long story, but she hooked up with Stefano who had his Frankendoctors do plastic surgery so she'd be a Marlena lookalike.

Hattie was played by Deidre Hall's (Marlena) twin sister, Andrea Hall-Gengler, who had played Samantha Evans.

But during the Salem Stalker storyline, they had Hattie in a couple episodes. Only this time, she was played by Deidre Hall (Marlena) instead of Andrea Hall-Gengler (Samantha/Hattie).

Here are Marlena and Samantha:

hqdefault.jpg

This is Marlena and Hattie (before Hattie's plastic surgery and after):

tumblr_lz2vm3DYXe1qdukyvo1_r1_500.jpg
9b210472ad341eb724bee35f15ff3096.jpg

And this is Deidre Hall (Marlena) playing Hattie during the Salem Stalker storyline:

2088786330_5163dd7012.jpg

We don't know why she's in prison. No, she hadn't done anything wrong during the Salem Stalker storyline. John brought her into the hospital for the police to question. He thought maybe she was the real killer, even though Marlena had confessed.

Hopefully we'll find out why Hattie landed in prison.

Thanks for the summary and comments. I'm probably going to skip the Adrienne, Lucas, Justin, Sonny, and Paul scenes. I don't like anything about this story. When reading, I was hoping Adrienne was going to say she had decided to put both men aside and go it on her own for a while. I do hope she is going to be okay though.

I'm looking forward to the Hope/Hattie scenes.

Are we really sure Claire isn't Sami's daughter? :rolleyes:

DaysD, I posted an article from Entertainment Weekly in the twitter thread last night. It explains why Hattie is in jail.

I agree the stuff with Adrienne and then Sonny and Paul was edited very poorly, especially the initial scene where Paul found Sonny sleeping. We already knew Sonny was wide awake from the prior scene.

Actually really liked the teen stuff today. I liked how Claire went from being naive with Ciara and I think she was genuinely naive to being shrewd with Paul. Nice touch by going to him for help with the baseball card. I thought Ciara played jealous very well too. I was annoyed that Ciara confided in Rafe instead of in her brother. This would have been a great opportunity to put Shawn in the middle between his sister and daughter. Really disappointed they didn't play this card. I'd much rather see Rafe with Gabi instead of Dario with Gabi so that Shawn can take care of his own sister.

I also think Shawn should be leading the investigation and not Rafe. Both should be involved but Shawn should be the lead and not a glorified extra.

I did enjoy Rafe and Steve though but the scenes were too short. I suppose they are leading to something.
Steve and Kayla: :love::love::love: my only beef here is how would Steve remember Stephanie's soccer uniform other than from a photo?

I hope Adrienne is ok. Certainly an unexpected twist.

Forgot to mention, Deidre Hall(Hattie) and Kristian Alfonso(Hope) looked like they were having a blast in those prison scenes. Kristian looked like she was trying not to laugh.

Last edited:
DaysD, I posted an article from Entertainment Weekly in the twitter thread last night. It explains why Hattie is in jail.
Thanks, Heather. I didn't click on that tweet because I had no clue who the woman was playing the threatening prisoner.

Hattie's reason for being in prison is kind of boring.

Hmmmm, that would be an interesting twist.

And since it's "white collar crime", she'd have a better chance of getting out soon. Would be nice if they kept the character around and she did have a romance with Roman.

Oh Lordy be, I hope Hattie gets out of prison so Roman will have a shot at some lovin'!
Giselle van Hopper would be appalled at the idea that Roman would prefer the company of some jailbird to a member of high society. As for the rest of today's mash-up, just a few comments.

Know-it-all Claire: She may think that she's the world's greatest singer and shopper, but not knowing who both Nancy Drew and Chicago-area folk hero Ron Santo are shows that she's rather clueless about things outside her narrow little world. Also, she hardly needs Paul's help to get a Santo card. A quick check of a vintage card website revealed that a lot of them are currently on sale, ranging in price from $1.20 to $950.00.

The great Adrienne contest: If Lucas and Justin had any sense they'd both run for their lives. After all, the "winner" gets an indecisive woman who grinds her teeth, is prone to throwing breakables, and faints under pressure.

Theo's gift: If he likes Thai noodles how about packages of tasty Wanchai Ferry?

Scheming Rafe: He'd better listen to Steve. Digging up DiMera-related dirt on Fitzpatrick would be relevant to a motion to set aside Hope's sentence, but doing the same with Melinda reeks of blackmail.

Sexy grandma: Kayla and Steve better not push this idea too far lest they get an I-HATE-you email from Sami, the self-proclaimed world's sexiest grandmother.

I have to say that the scenes with Hope made me want to go chasing waterfalls but I decided to stick to the rivers and lakes I'm used to. Okay I should probably explain that. First off don't worry the inevitable hasn't happen and I haven't gone around the bend at least not yet. LOL

Tionne Watkins who plays Sheila the inmate who had Hope in the chokehold was a member of TLC which was a R&B group that was popular in the mid-to-late nineties and "Waterfalls" was one of their biggest hits and my comment is a reference to that song.

I'm glad that Hattie specified that she's the "Sexy One" because otherwise I would be wondering what Marlena was all of a sudden doing in prison. LOL I have a feeling she's going to be a bright spot in the tale of Hope's Trials and Tribulations behind bars.

Finally if Rafe is really concerned about Hope's safety, he might want to reconsider visiting her every day especially if inmates are only allowed four hours of visitation a month. Rafe isn't going to do Hope any favors if he's using his badge to get access to her. It already looks like those two inmates are determined to make Hope's sentence most "Unpretty" indeed. Yes that's the title of another TLC song I just had to get that out of my system. I'll stop now I promise. :)

Know-it-all Claire: She may think that she's the world's greatest singer and shopper, but not knowing who both Nancy Drew and Chicago-area folk hero Ron Santo are shows that she's rather clueless about things outside her narrow little world.

Realistically how many girls Claire's age would know who Nancy Drew is in this day and age? Sadly I would venture a guess and say not too many. I was kind of hoping Paul would suggest that Claire rent the film starring Emma Roberts. It's really nothing special overall, but it's a decent introduction to the plucky girl detective. Of course nothing beats actually reading the books because reading is fundamental after all.

As far as her not knowing who Ron Santo is (I didn't either) some people just aren't sports fans. Besides didn't she grow up in Maine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Troy, if Ciara's favorite book is Little Women (which is mine by the way, have read it probably 100 times, lol) then perhaps Claire needs to expand her horizons a bit, as she should have at least HEARD of Nancy Drew. People make reference to that spunky girl detective on a lot of shows. As to Ron Santo, agreed he was a big hero in Chicago, (and I am from there) but Salem is close enough to the Windy city that Claire's parents would have known all about him. And of course Grampa John, Grampa Roman, Uncle Paul, Uncle Brady, etc. Not leaving out the females, it is just they never mention sports as the guys do.

Don't misunderstand me, I like Claire, but she is really entirely too self-absorbed.

And, by the way....ever hear of Ernie Banks? Yep, played with Santo.

Oh don't misunderstand me Poirot, I would never try to argue that Claire is NOT self-absorbed she most definitely is. Nor would I argue that she does not need to expand her horizons she most definitely does. But I would still say that the majority of teen girls today would not know who Nancy Drew is. Of course not being a member of that demographic I will admit I could be totally off-base on that. LOL And I would hope that I am.

Honestly I can't say I've heard of Ernie Banks. I'm familiar with the names of athletes who've rose to prominence through their exceptional talent or infamous for their off the field or court antics but otherwise when it comes to sports figures I am pretty much clueless. LOL

along comes Paul, who gets a brief update. (This scene just seems so awkward and disjointed
They always do. It's like they're trying too hard to look like they're not forcing things.
Ciara, who fills him in on her unrequited caring for Theo, and lack of a love life. Rafe suggests if Claire & Theo are a couple, time for Ciara to move on.
First off, this should have been Shawn-D. Second off, Ciara literally had 2+ chances with Theo and wrote him off for a "bad" boy even after her rape. This story is too dumb for further comment.
Claire seeks out Paul to help her find the baseball card, then mentions some secret project, for which she might want to borrow his spy gear. He says they are not toys, he cannot just lend them out, what is this all about. She can't tell him, but asks just for the Santo card. He goes to make a call, she tells herself she will get those spy items a different way.
Part of me likes that this uncle/niece scene, which I never would have expected in a trillion decades, happened. Part of me hates that Claire is now Sami 7.7 and filling the terrifyingly dated soap trope of the vixen bad teen. (I'd say it's about 10% vs 90% split LOL.)
She warns Hope that as a cop, she is not safe, but Hattie can help her hold her own. Calls her Slim, tells her she is an 8 in holding her own, needs to get up to an 11 with Hattie's help. She give some hints, rules, and wants something in return. When she manages to get out of there, she wants Hope to help her meet up with Mr. Roman. LOL. Hope gets a kick out of it, they fist bump in agreement.
I'm looking these scenes up online as we speak. Creativity +1000 for smart use of Deidre Hall (Marlena/Hattie) during Drake Hogestyn's (John) absence!
Hattie gets up as Rafe arrives
Ick, they had to spoil it.
But Hope only says it is a long story
Sure, Hope. Let's hear you instead retread your dismal murder story for the 10000th time, or tell Rafe to move on for the 716th time!! Having an original conversation about a fun and memorable time in Salem history pre-Rafe might actually get me to like your pairing...so you can't do that!!
In the corner, the 2 women decide that Hope needs to be eliminated, and it can be done without Hattie's knowing about it.
Is there a Kickstarter or something for their defense fund? Because I'm kinda feeling these ladies are in the right on this one. :wink:
It's......her eyes sort of roll back, and she is down on the floor, unconscious.
Groan. I love the characters. I like or liked each coupling. But come on, these are recurring characters you don't want us invested in. Why drag this out?
I was hoping Adrienne was going to say she had decided to put both men aside and go it on her own for a while.
Sister, we are of the same mind on this one. I also want Lucas to move on quickly. He deserves better than this (both the character as a character, and the character as a concept).
Both should be involved but Shawn should be the lead and not a glorified extra.
Agreed. I'm going to speculate that this is the time period when they realised they had to use Shawn-D due to his contract after they had shipped him out. The results are underwhelming.
my only beef here is how would Steve remember Stephanie's soccer uniform other than from a photo?
Several recent comments by Steve/Kayla/Joe have made me think that Stephanie has been half-un-SORAS'd. When Steve returned to Salem, Joe and Kayla berated him for leaving "us kids" "your kids" etc. So I'm thinking the current writers are thinking that Stephanie and Joey grew up together at the same time in a house with a living Steve.

However, I have certainly given more thoughts to their thinking than they've given thinking to their stories, so...take my speculation as just that. Because when it suits DA PLOT, they will change whatever they've said to suit their immediate needs. :)
I have a feeling [Hattie]'s going to be a bright spot in the tale of Hope's Trials and Tribulations
It would be hard not to be the bright spot in this story! Hattie is like an O-class star compared to the general black hole that this story has become. Great TLC references too! (Thanks for explaining them to those folks not in our demo and saving some server space!!)
Besides didn't she grow up in Maine?
And the ocean, we presume.
People make reference to that spunky girl detective on a lot of shows
Well, to be fair, people in movies and TV make reference to Shaggy and Scooby-Doo, and some folks don't know who they are. :) I definitely agree that she should have heard of Ron Santo given her family's love of baseball and proximity to Chicago. I despise all sporting events and sports were not well-followed in my home (and when they were watched, I was made scarce), and even I knew who he was.

You guys are so funny.....I follow no sports, don't understand them, the terminology,, rules, etc. Some baseball. But I do watch movies, so I have seen/heard all about Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Lou Gehrig, Hank Aaron,Walter Payton, Joe Montana, Dick Butkus, & Yep, Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky...a few more. Not that I understand any of what is going on when the movie depicts a game. LOL

But, Paul knew about Nancy Drew, didn't he?

When will we know who Adrienne picked? Did she decide when Justin was arguing with her about grinding her teeth?

I got confused too when we saw Sonny sleeping when Paul came by. Before the
commercial, he was in the hallway with his mom.

Today, Claire was the third wheel because she had to ask Ciara what Theo might like for a gift.
Interesting tidbit, yesterday was Louisa May Alcott's birthday. Troy, she wrote
Little Women. I think I've seen almost every movie version of the book.

I'm not surprised Claire is going to investigate Valerie.

I laughed when Steve called Jade the "baby Mama"

Hold the phone, Roman might get a kiss when Hattie gets out of jail. Hopefully, she'll be
getting out soon.

Last edited:
Back