Debbie Reynolds died today

You know, to me, Debbie Reynolds was the bigger star, so many movies, stage shows, concerts. When her last husband (Harry Karl) died, she discovered she was broke, he had lost all her money. Thus she went back to work, a TV series, guest appearances, concerts.

I never realized her daughter Carrie was so popular, but then I only saw her in a couple of movies, but I do know Star Wars has a huge following.

On the radio here, every single hour is a 3 or 4 minutes news & weather break, and they always mention the song Tammy (which was #1 on the charts) and play a few bars of it, as they tell of Debbie Reynolds passing away. Same thing on the National News.

Debbie Reynolds spent years and hundred of thousands of dollars to acquire iconic outfits, worn in classic movies...Marilyn Monroe's white dress from when she stood over the grate, and the breeze blew it up in Seven Year Itch; Dorothy's red shoes from Wizard of Oz, Audrey Hepburn's fancy black & white outfit from My Fair Lady, Charleton Heston's tunic from Ben Hur.......tons more. She tried for many years, as she was collecting, to get Hollywood to build a museum to house it all, that these items should not get lost, but was never able to do so. A few years ago, she was forced to sell it all at two different auctions. It broke her heart at the time.

Debbie Reynolds was a classy A class star from the Golden Years of Hollywood. Just love her in Singing in the Rain. She was a strong yet vulnerable woman who I greatly admired. She is missed!

I remember the way she carried herself during her (then) husband's very public affair with Elizabeth Taylor. From what I saw, Debbie Reynolds was the epitome of grace under fire.

Barb, several years after Debbie's husband, Harry Karl, almost drove her to the poor house, she married Richard Hamlett, who was in real estate. They were married for 12 years, and she has been single since then.

Tricia and Joely Fisher (Carrie's half sisters - daughters of Connie Stevens and Eddie Fisher) must be heartbroken too.

They've been tweeting as well. Joely said she is inconsolable.

JS, I went on Amazon last night to look at Carrie's books and they are all sold out. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Of course e-books are always available.

I think Wishful Drinking is the one where she talks about growing up in Hollywood and Elizabeth Taylor.

Not unusual when someone dies I've just never seen every title of an author's book sell out.

When Michael Jackson died, I started buying all of his albums that I didn't already have on CD. I didn't have any issues. I had a first pressing of the Thriller album on LP from 1983 and my parents got rid of it without telling me. So I wanted to make sure I had a CD at least. I eventually found another copy of the LP at a used record store upstate.

I'm going to Disneyland in a couple weeks for Star Wars themed races. I've already changed my 5K costume to Princess Leia:). I imagine I won't be the only one.

Gosh, I loved Unsinkable Molly Brown....The other day I saw a short clip of a live theatre thing done by Carrie Fisher in which she talked VERY FRANKLY about how Liz Taylor stole Eddie Fisher from her mother. Audience could not stop laughing when got VERY graphic in her description. :)

Singin' In The Rain will also be in theaters Jan 15 and 18 as part of some partnership with Fandango. I think this was already in the works.

Gosh, I loved Unsinkable Molly Brown....The other day I saw a short clip of a live theatre thing done by Carrie Fisher in which she talked VERY FRANKLY about how Liz Taylor stole Eddie Fisher from her mother. Audience could not stop laughing when got VERY graphic in her description. :)

This is from her one woman play Wishful Drinking. She then wrote a memoir by the same title based on the play.

Back