Did anyone watch June 11th Tony Awards?

robinsnest

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Because of family business being in the biz, the Tony awards are a must watch.

Did anyone else watch?

I am curious what you think about the Lifetime Achievement award. What do you mean you didn't see it? Yeah, neither did I. How can you give a Lifetime award to James Earl Jones and not freaking show it on television???????? (rant over)

saw most of 1st hr and last hour.......Bette Midler cracked me up....when they started playing the music as she jabbered thanks too long....and she told them to turn that thing off. LOL and they did! Was glad she mentioned Carol Channing - was so lucky to have seen her in Hello Dolly - Wish I could see Bette in this

No, I pass on it live but watch clips on YouTube later. I will be looking forward to it now after your comments Robin.

I've been able to see Carol Chaning as Dolly, and Pearl Bailey as Dolly. In addition so Jo Ann Worley as Dolly, and a host others play the role.

I enjoyed Kevin Spacey.

But some of the "cutting" of awards and showing them in clips bothered me. But mostly like I said it was the Lifetime Achievement award. Why cut that one???

Bette Midler was a hoot, and a diva. Wouldn't perform live on the show. So the number they did was a Horace Vandergelder number that no one had ever heard because it was cut in out-of-town try outs. I really liked the number. And David Hyde Pierce is a fantastic Horace.....

Enjoy the clips Noel.

Robin thanks for the inside scoop on the show. Tonight I will definitely enjoy the clips. And, wow, to you seeing all those classic leading broadway stars in production!

Also saw Pearl Bailey in Dolly, and also Ginger Rogers...Carol Channing was just so wonderful, we had box seats, so close to the stage.

Saw a local production as well. Yes, I saw the Barbra Streisand movie as well. Preferred the ones on stage.

I thought it was absurd that they didn't air the Lifetime Acheivement Award. Why was James Earl Jones even there?

I loved the speech from Ben Platt from Dear Evan Hansen. What a sweetheart.

I wish they could get Neil Patrick Harris back as host.

I read that the reason Bette Midler didn't perform was because they would have had to re-stage the numbers and the producer didn't want to. Is that not true? Only asking because I had matinee tickets and there were all sorts of rumors that she was skipping performances, namely matinee. And in conversation, I heard from a theater employee that it was not true, she had not missed one performance. Probably rumor started by people who couldn't get tickets and were hoping to get people to dump their tickets, LOL.

I loved Bette in Hello, Dolly! Most enjoyable two hours I've spent in a theater. She was right in her speech when she said that it would lift your spirits and make you forget all the outside craziness for a few hours. Even my husband, who usually doesn't have much to say, said it was the most enjoyable show he had been to, and we've seen quite a few!

I doubt there would have been problems "restaging", since all the other musicals did a number from their show.

I hope, that in the future, they either film the show for a TV broadcast, ot perhaps just that wonderful "Hello, Dolly" number with the waiters, etc. I do enjoy Bette's performances.

It had something to do with the orchestra being in that opening in the stage. It has a name but it escapes me. Much bigger at Radio City than the one at the Shubert. They did offer to do it live from the Shubert. Even offered to sell tickets and have a viewing party with the proceeds going to Equity Fights Aids, I believe, but supposedly the Tony people said no. Only know what I read, but the story seemed pretty detailed

There was a lot of staging around that orchestra opening. Not like other shows where the orchestra is in front of the stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
deleted unnecessary quote; no need to quote the post that is directly above your own post

Yes, LOL. I didn't phrase it properly. I meant the walkway in front of the pit that comes out further into the audience. Passarelle (I googled it:))

Back