Dirty Dancing remake?

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
TV Guide is reporting that ABC is doing a musical, a remake of Dirty Dancing, will star Abigail Breslin & Colt Pratte. O.K. never heard of either one, But am sure others have. She was in Little Miss Sunshine (never heard of that either, lol). Colt Prattes is evidently a fantastic dancer........was cast last February of 2016 in the role.

Ms. Breslin says they practiced that final dance and lift forever, as they know it is such a much loved scene/song.

May 24 is the air date on ABC.

Dirty Dancing 2.jpg

I am only guessing about this.......but ABC has had some success with inserting musical numbers into a few of their drama series............and then NBC has done the musical presentations of Peter Pan, Sound of Music. Hairspray, The Wiz,(all based on the Broadway shows).

So, perhaps ABC figured they would try a remake of a movie musical. Dirty Dancing originally was not ever expected to do as well as it did, nor to become such an iconic movie. Jennifer Grey has said she was not a dancer, and really, never danced again until Dancing with the Stars.

Not all of NBC's efforts to stage the musical shows have been that successful. So, we will see. :)

Last edited:
She may have studied dance, but she never worked as a dancer, or appeared as a dancer in any film except Dirty Dancing. She really concentrated more on acting. And yes, her father is the Broadway actor/dancer, Joel Grey.

However, this thread is about the remake, not the original.

All I will add, is that I am a good dancer, but would never be called experienced either. Lots of kids study dance, mostly it is ballet. LOL. I was only quoting what she said of herself on Dancing With the Stars.

This guy, Colt Pratte is supposed to have danced with Pink. I have no idea if that is a show.....or referring to the singer. LOL

I believe it is filmed.....since Ms. Breslin talked of how much they practiced that last dance and lift, how nervous she was about it, and then they did it and perfectly. There is just one pic in TV Guide, can't tell which way it might have been filmed.

I will say, the royalties for all the music probably would be hefty, if they use the original records.

There is a Dirty Dancing musical that has toured the country. I don't think it ever made it to Broadway.

I think the NBC musicals actually have done very well in ratings which is why they keep doing them. Even Fox jumped on the bandwagon with Grease.

I've always wondered why ABC, which is owned by Disney, doesn't just film one of its own Broadway musicals and air it on tv. They did this last month with Newsies which aired in theaters for 3 nights only. Bummed I missed it.

Back