Eric and Jennifer as a couple.

Do you want to see a romance develop between Eric and Jennifer?

• Yes

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm actually okay with this pairing. While I would really like to see both Eric and Rafe be with someone with whom they can have their own children, I am much more interested in an Eric/Jennifer couple than a Rafe/Hope couple. They seem sincere, not forced, and do definitely have a spark between them that translates on screen. To me, Rafe/Hope are just "blah" as a romantic pair. If written properly, I think this match could be an involved and appealing option for both of the characters and the viewers, too.

I voted "yes" simply because I think Jennifer needs a little "BOW CHICKA BOW BOW!!! She has been so consumed with her family's problems, kicking that drug dependency, getting a handle on running the Spectator with Adrienne, that even if this doesn't last with Eric, perhaps she put at least put a smile on Eric's face and hers, then can both can just lay back, spark up a cigarette and bask in the afterglow.

But in my perfect world, I'd like Nicole's end game to be with Brady or Rafe and maybe Eric with......hmmmmmmm.......a few one nighters with Kate! Kate hasnt gotten her claws into him yet!! LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted yes. I like Eric and I like Jen and I would love to see these 2 happy together.

As for Nicole, I'd much rather her and Brady get back together and raise their children together.

My answer is "not sure" right now. Regardless of the actual age difference (whatever that may be) it just seems like Jennifer is so much older. Maybe because she has been a core character in Salem much longer than Eric and has been through the wringer on our screen while Eric's life has been mostly spent off our screen? It just seems a little weird to me.

One of the problems with bringing back old characters is that it can tie the hands of the writers. All the old history can get in the way of making a relationship look reasonable, thus all the crazy pairings that pop up out of nowhere. I think that the type of romance many of us want for our favorite characters would need to involve new characters.

I enjoyed the Sami and Rafe romance for that very reason. When you think about it, many of our favorites came on the scene as new characters who were not Hortons and were never on the scene before. I think of Rafe, Chad, Nicole, Anna, Shane, Roman, John, etc.

I would agree about new "blood". Years ago, when a new character came to Salem, called Patch, eventually followed with a new character named Adrienne, it eventually turned out that not only was Patch, the brother of Senator Harper Deveraux's adopted son, Jack, but also new gal in town, Adrienne (he did not know). And Mom, Jo, was housekeeper for Dr. Neil Curtis. So, the new people ended up connected to people already in town, were a family that had to get to know each other again.

New characters don't always work, most because of story (see Summer, Serena) but when done right, become part of the fabric of the show.

Right now, they are trying with Abe's unknown daughter, Lani, and then Julie's unknown grandson, Eli, who is son of Valerie, who has been dating Abe. We'll see how that works, too new to say.

All too true in regard to Aiden. I really liked him and Hope together in the beginning. They did the same thing with Ben. Started him as such a nice guy only to end up a psycho, too. Neither of them would have needed to be completely 'good' but turning both of them into exact opposites of their initial selves was really unnecessary.

Both could have developed into gray characters with lots of opportunities to be the type of antagonists or heroes we like to watch. I don't claim to know much about the contract vs day players but does anyone know if that plays into this craziness? On the surface it would seem that the contract players would have to have more airtime per their contract, so is it a matter of working with what you have?

Back