Good/Bad - Plus/Minus

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Overall, I am really loving the new headwriter's episodes. Most here are pleased as well (not all). But elsewhere, I have been seeing a great deal of negativity. O.K. mostly on one site, but it surprised me. The new headwriter has not even begun to write new stories, is trying to wind up and deal with the disappointing stuff we have been seeing the past several months, and in my opinion, is doing a wonderful job.

So.....Ron C's cleanup began July 19. How do you feel about what has happened so far? (Please remember this is not a thread to state what you might WANT to happen, but what has gone on so far.

While I am not happy that Dario just managed to evade arrest, he is gone, that is a plus.
Chad/Abby being able to reconnect.......a plus
Gabi understanding that Chad's heart and mind is not with her......yes a definite plus
Victor hiring Xander to do in Deimos.........a minus
Deimos's killer not yet revealed.......a BIG minus
Tripp's refusal to accept the facts of Ava's crimes..Minus

I am torn about Joey's being unable to deal with his guilt trip

Brady's jealousy......a minus for me
Nicole finally forgiving Eric...a plus

Nicole's efforts to keep that fact from Brady...minus

How do YOU feel about what has gone on so far?

I pretty much agree with your assessment, there's no plus I'd minus nor minus I'd plus.

I will say though, that now that the picture is clearer, I am seeing why Ron made a sharp turn in some stories (sometimes "turning into the skid," à la Lani/JJ) and is doing it more slowly in others. It would have been irresponsible in the long-term to just do a left-turn on every story (e.g., Chad/Abby back together, Deimos murder solved, Anjelica just leaves town, Tripp suddenly likes Kayla, etc) and wouldn't generate immediate additional story, which is jarring in a serialised narrative.

I also appreciate that he's using established character traits from multiple headwriters to make his changes. Gabi is strong, and insecure at the same time (unlike with Dena's writing, where she was sure she was pure & was Chad's girl) like she was back in '11 and also '14. Brady has usually been insecure (e.g., Madison, Chloe) with his lovers but also has always treated Nicole worse than any other lover he's had (à la their 2011 affair). I don't like that Nicole keeps meeting Eric to tell them they shouldn't tell Brady this secret (that shouldn't be a secret), but I can see the plan that's laid out, and it works for every character (because Eric is honourable to a fault and Nicole is also insecure and incredibly needy when it comes to men).

All in all, good show. Though I admit I'm still previewing the show via the summary when time is tight. Some episodes are stronger than others.

I agree with you Poirot in your plus and minuses.

I'll add in minus the continuing Anjelica story without making it any clearer

Minus Bonnie and Hattie

Minus Marlena yet again kidnapped and put into again a mental hospital and folks in town can't figure out she's been replaced.

Ditto for Bonnie and Adrienne.

Plus more characters interacting with folks they haven't been seen with for a while.

Plus mentioning off screen family.

Plus some happiness. Not all doom and gloom.

Overall, I am really loving the new headwriter's episodes. Most here are pleased as well (not all). But elsewhere, I have been seeing a great deal of negativity. O.K. mostly on one site, but it surprised me. The new headwriter has not even begun to write new stories, is trying to wind up and deal with the disappointing stuff we have been seeing the past several months, and in my opinion, is doing a wonderful job.

While I am not happy that Dario just managed to evade arrest, he is gone, that is a plus. [Maybe, the writers want to keep Dario free and waiting in the wings so he can do a Xander: return at some future date to wreck havoc in Salem.]

Chad/Abby being able to reconnect.......a plus. [Yes, this is a plus, unlike the repeated Sami-EJ reconnections.]

Gabi understanding that Chad's heart and mind is not with her......yes a definite plus. [Yes, some other writer might have had Gabi kidnap Chad and hold him captive until she could brainwash him into loving her again.]

Victor hiring Xander to do in Deimos.........a minus. [For some reason, I find Xander entertaining, but having Victor go so dark so late in life is a downer. They should have had the X-man act on his own.]

Deimos's killer not yet revealed.......a BIG minus. [Agree. You can't have a whodunit that captures the audience when it doesn't much care who the killer is and doesn't believe the writers will send a major character to prison.]

Tripp's refusal to accept the facts of Ava's crimes..Minus. [Indeed. Little Trippy had promise, but making him so obtuse about his utterly deranged, sick mother seriously harmed the character.]

I am torn about Joey's being unable to deal with his guilt trip. [The writers seem to love guilt trips. Look how long they've had sourpuss Eric wallowing in misery.]

Brady's jealousy......a minus for me. [Agree. A smart Brady is far preferable to some dolt who turns green around the gills with jealousy at the drop of a hat.]

Nicole finally forgiving Eric...a plus. [This was a good move, but now she's been once again been turned into the old lyin' Nicole.]

Nicole's efforts to keep that fact from Brady...minus. [Having Nicole do stupid things is definitely a worn-out plot device, which should be permanently retired.]

Overall, things are definitely better and will improve even more when the plots hatched by the old writers are disposed of.

I'm in agreement with pretty much everything said so far - he's doing a good job, wrangling his people and the storyline directions. I do wish that they would stop with the Nicole self-torture/guilt and Brady getting back into his pattern with his women. If they would fix that, I would be really really happy and could forgive the other minus points.

Oh, well, the really big minus is Anjelica's storyline - that one just needs to stop.

Poirot - If you tell us which site is negative, maybe we can post some balance.

I agree with the pluses and minuses listed above.

I'm thrilled that Chad and Abby have finally told their true feelings AND I'm glad Gabi is handling this situation so very differently than in the past. I just hope she does move on this time.

Not enjoying the Hattie/Anjelica/Bonnie story. I think this is a waste of talent (both the writers and the actors)

So glad no one got hurt in the latest Tripp fiasco - and I liked that Steve went to comfort Tripp after making sure Joey and Kayla were safe. I think I would have a VERY hard time forgiving myself if I had killed someone (YIKES!) - so Joey's guilt rings true with me.

Nicole/Eric/Brady are just perplexing - curious as to where the writers are taking this.

Wish the Deimos killing would wrap up soon - I kind of like Victor getting his bluster up, and glad Xander didn't carry through. Vic would not fare well in prison! I like the old guy!

And YUCK to the Marlena kidnapping . Hoping John figures it out soon!!

Realizing I'm in the minority, I like the Hope/Rafe relationship - plus

In Ron's interview with SOD, he says he took the time to watch old episode clips and research characters. It shows. I also want to make sure Sheri Anderson and Ryan Quan are credited too. Ron is not a one man show and he's had nothing but praise for them.

I also think the show is listening to fan feedback which is a plus.

Plus for me is Hope finally acting like Claire's grandmother. I actually wish she'd move in with Hope.

Minus on the doppelgangers and Anjelica. Not working at all for me.

Minus on Marlena's 3,000th kidnapping.

Plus on Chad/Abby and Eric/Nicole reconnecting. Bigger plus on Jennifer still being in Eric's orbit.

Plus on more Gabi/JJ scenes and less Gabi/Eli scenes.

The show is far from great but it's drastically improved from a month ago.

I have to say that the show is mostly plus for me. Each episode is actually worth watching because something big is happening and it isn't just filler where people are walking around doing nothing. It has the early to mid 90s feel in the pacing and the content which I felt were the height of the show.

It's nice for the actors to be able to express some levity, but the story is so ludicrous that I can't even begin to tolerate it. I will be much happier once Hattie and Bonnie are gone and their real counterparts, Marlena and Adrienne, have some happiness.

Brady just can't ever get his "stuff" together for very long and then blames everyone else for his stupid behavior. Nicole and Brady keeping the secret is beyond dumb and Brady stalking rank a close second.

Solve the murder already

With Dario escaping we are going to drag out Dario's partner forever. It has to be a man because Eli keeps saying "he".

It would be nice if Justin and Lucas teamed up to discredit the imposter. Hope and John team up for Marlena.

Was really tired of the teen set being such a focus and so poorly written. Claire could redeem herself by seeing Hattie for who she is.

I am pleased with the change of direction and these are just some of my suggestions on moving forward.

Last edited:
Definite plus:

Chad and Abigail admitting they still love each other.

Gabi removing herself from Chad

Joey telling Tripp the truth how he killed Ava

Paul being involved in helping Sonny and supporting his brother Brady

John back on canvas

Definite minus:

Hattie and Bonnie

Deimos murder still unsolved and lingering

Brady jealous and drinking

Nicole not telling Brady she forgave Eric

Rafe (just not an interesting character; hopefully he is one of the first characters to leave the show with the new writers)

Back