In re: Combo names, initials, etc.....

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the things about the Spectator is that we seem to be rather unique. We can discuss both sides of an issue with respect for each other, we can tease, get silly, and have a great deal of fun doing it, we disagree on the loving & hating of various characters, and know that we may agree on one thing, disagree on something else, but we all enjoy reading, responding, and always are respectful of the other posters.

Now, the Spectator has very few rules, the most important ones about respect and no bashing.....and then there is the thing about the use of cutesy combo names. It is highly discouraged. We have so many members here who mostly read, rarely post, and in addition, a lot of "readers" who may take their time, but eventually jump into the pool and join the fun. The thing is...when one posts, one wants to be understood....and while one may think just EVERYONE knows what you mean by using some made up cutesy combo name.......no they don't. And if they don't understand, it spoils it all.

And it is even worse when using actors' initials. Yes, I know nearly all the actors's names, but I hate to have to stop and figure out who is being discussed when only initials are used. (I once was stumped when someone used PM....had no idea who they were talking about - had to get clued in that it was Peggy McCay who plays Caroline) But there are tons of viewers/readers/posters who really don't pay attention to the actors' names. Oh, they might know a few, but over all not. And then they wonder if the initials refer to a character or the actor, and give up, skip over the post, maybe the thread, maybe the entire site.

So, in the spirit of friendship, good neighbors, fun postings, and regard for our fellow posters, I am very respectfully asking if you would/could try and use both names of a couple (i.e. Hope/Bo) and the full name of an actor if you are referring to that aspect...i.e. Ali Sweeney, Molly Burnett, Peter Reckell. I know a lot of people would be very happy.

Thank you truly, very much! :)

Thank you Poirot ,even though I can't stand couple nick names the intital thing just might be worse. I don't know how many times (elsewhere) I have sat staring at 2 or 3 letters wondering who the poster was refering to.

When I first started reading this board I didn't know the names of any of the actors so I was clueless even when the actors' names were mentioned, not to mention initials only. I have since learned many of the names, just from reading on here, but it is usually too much of a struggle for me to try to figure out the initials so I have to skip over those parts, and even a few of the actors' names are still not familiar enough for me to recognize.

Thanks, Barb, for bringing this up and explaining how it causes problems. A poster may not care if I, as one reader, can't get what they are saying but if there are lots of us who don't recognize the initials, it makes it seem sort of pointless for the poster to go to the trouble of writing them.

I've noticed that people have cut way down on using the combo names, to comply with your request, and I just want to say here that I appreciate it. I know it is fun for a lot of posters to use combos, abbreviations, etc., so I'm grateful for their consideration in not doing so.

Thanks for the friendly reminder.
I too get confuse with the combo names ex: SAFE. I keep saying to myself what was safe. I thought I was missing something till I read the next post and figured out it was a combo of Sami & Rafe. I let myself feel dumb for not getting it.LOL

I love you, Barb! One of the worst I ever saw was KWAK. (AMC.) Who could possibly have those initials? I had to ask. Krystal with a K!!!

I still can't stand that name its terrible.

Hi, Soapy. She must have said that on the show one time? (Krystal with a K)

Thank you Poirot!!! I read every day- and post some... and I don't understand some of them...
and I know you are all going to laugh at me... but what does TBTM or whatever it is... TBTP... I can't even remember it lol.. I know it means the writers...but to me, TW.. would be The Writers. I have no idea whatever thaat 4 initial thing stands for and it always confuses me.

:) i know i know, i'm slow... feel free to laugh and then please someone tell me what that stands for? ha ha..

Ah, you are talking about TPTB.......and it means The Powers That Be...referring to whoever is in charge. The suits at the network, owner of a program, & yes, even the writers.

And I would never laugh at anyone. If you ever don't understand something, just ask, am glad you did now. :hug:

Haha thanks i always got Ejami mixed up i was like what are people talking about Jam?? lol thats when i realized ej/sami

:OT:
Sadierice wrote: Not in Canada, but can see it from here.

That makes you an expert in foreign affairs. Have you considered running for vice-president? :)

:back:

:OT:
Sadierice wrote: Not in Canada, but can see it from here.

That makes you an expert in foreign affairs. Have you considered running for vice-president? :)

:back:

Oh my gosh, that is soooo funny....!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Back