In re: Combo names, initials, etc.....

While everyone is getting words translated, can someone tell me what SORAS'D means. I know it's about aging salem kids, but can you re-fresh me again please?
where's my wine :wine:

Thank you, I have no idea what all the abbraviations, etc mean sometimes too. You are all so nice, organized and great here! I love this board!

That is a good combo name, "HoBo".
I have jsut been calling them Dil-Bo and Gnarly. Tee-hee!!!

I've always thought that Bo and Hope's police career could be called Dope since they can't seem to solve a case.

This is already a sticky, has been for some time. :wink:

When I first started reading this board I didn't know the names of any of the actors so I was clueless even when the actors' names were mentioned, not to mention initials only. I have since learned many of the names, just from reading on here, but it is usually too much of a struggle for me to try to figure out the initials so I have to skip over those parts, and even a few of the actors' names are still not familiar enough for me to recognize.

Thanks, Barb, for bringing this up and explaining how it causes problems. A poster may not care if I, as one reader, can't get what they are saying but if there are lots of us who don't recognize the initials, it makes it seem sort of pointless for the poster to go to the trouble of writing them.

I've noticed that people have cut way down on using the combo names, to comply with your request, and I just want to say here that I appreciate it. I know it is fun for a lot of posters to use combos, abbreviations, etc., so I'm grateful for their consideration in not doing so.

ITA I also have trouble understanding spoilers etc.,when it is just initials.like MC.I don't know the name of all the actors except some of my favorites,So I get confused.which comes naturally to me

I read some spoiler boards for The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful and they are filled with combo names and actors' initials. Takes me forever to figure out who they are talking about.

But my favorite (which I've posted a few times before) was someone writing into SOD (Soap Opera Digest) saying how much they hated combo names and said they hoped that (on The Young and the Restless) Phyllis and Tucker never become a couple.

Some may find this interesting, and some may not but these "combo names" are called portmanteau or portmanteau words.

A lot of commonly used words in all different aspects of life are portmanteaus.

smog = smoke + fog
brunch = breakfast + lunch
camcorder = camera + recorder
newscast = news + broadcast
blog = web + log
emoticon = emotion + icon
knowledgebase = knowledge + database
simulcast = simultaneous + broadcast
alphabet = alpha + beta
Medicare = medical + care
netiquette = internet + etiquette

and so on.

On this and only one other board have I seen DiMansion. i first thought it was giving an accent to "the mansion" but later realized it was the Dimera Mansion. lol Now it seems drawn out to see something actually saying the Dimera mansion.

@Sirrimax....DiMansion was coined by the Early Edition some years ago, just a way to designate DiMera Mansion, as the use of K mansion. If there was only one in Salem that we get to see, then it would the mansion, just as we do "the penthouse".
Since I was part of Early Edition, I use it still, as do posters here who see it used that way. If someone else uses it...am flattered.

Back