Jen & Eve

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While realizing there are strong feelings about each of these characters here, I just want to comment on something. Yes, Jen was very poorly written by the previous writers, and came across to the viewing audience as a very changed person. Ms Perfect, as many called her.

The fact is, Eve arrived in town only because she saw the sales being made by Jack's book. She dug out an old paper Jack had made, probably to just get rid of Eve, and was out to get all she could from the sales. The fact that any profits from the sale of the books, was designated by Jack himself, to veterans, meant nothing to Eve. She never said a word to any family when Jack died, no condolences, nothing. But when she saw the dollar signs, she came running. She had her daughter living in Salem for nearly a year, never a visit, never telling family. She came to make trouble.
And only when Jennifer protested about the profits being earmarked for elsewhere did Eve start up with her snide remarks about Jack, Frankie. The thing is......Eve left with Frankie. She got him, for whatever period of time, and when it was over, he did not return to Salem, but furthered his education, becoming an attorney.

The thing is, one cannot fault Jennifer for whatever animosity harbored by the apparently very jealous Eve. The fact remains that Eve sent her daughter to live with a cousin, pursued her career, had affairs constantly with all different men, came running when she figured she could get some easy money, then proceeded to come on to her daughter's boyfriend, bedding him, and thus, alienating her beloved daughter. THAT was not any fault of Jen's. But Eve resented her daughter even talking to JJ's mother, or Daniel, for that matter.
Eve is the one who constantly plotted to cause trouble for the Deveraux family, especially JJ. Paying a hooker to drug JJ so incriminating pictures could be taken; planting a bug in the house, then tipping off Kyle about the undercover work. She put JJ's life in extreme danger, and his mother/sister's as well, and did not care.

As a result of all her machinations, plotting, etc. her daughter is dead, and died hating all her mother did. Eve knows this, and that is why she still wants to blame everyone else. Eve hates herself, what she did, allowed herself to do, the unexpected consequences. It is horrible. But Eve cannot blame Jennifer now. She might want to, but she cannot.

It is horrible, awful she has lost her daughter to a murderer, seemingly random killing. But Jennifer did not kill Paige, or do anything that would have led to her death. I have not liked Jen for quite a while, but she is not to blame for Eve's problems. Only Eve is to blame.

As a result of all her machinations, plotting, etc. her daughter is dead
Not really. Ben killed Paige, and ultimately, that was because Paige chose to stay in Salem because of JJ. Eve's machinations had nothing to do with it, aside from sending her to live with "cousin Joan" while she was finishing her tour. (I'll change my tune if it turns out Clyde has something to do with this death, and he targeted her because of JJ's being undercover.)

That being said, I agree, Jen is not to blame for Paige's death. But neither is Eve. Nobody is to blame except Ben, and (maybe) whoever is drugging/hypnotising/possessing him to commit the murders.

I also need to go on record that I have hated the Jen/Eve fighting for some time, and I'm enjoying the muted hate since the new writers took over. There needs to be a new angle. I'm hoping when the dust settles and Eve starts looking forward (if she can) that she sees Jen was not responsible. Right now she's just spinning her wheels trying to find a way to cope with her loss.

That is what I was getting at. Eve keeps blaming Jennifer. But Eve set in motion the series of events. It is just the "what if" game. If Eve had not flirted and bedded the young man with whom Paige was involved (and remember that Eve only wanted Paige away from JJ because he was Jennifer's son) then the couple would have been together, no Kyle, no undercover, no breakup. Paige would not have been in the square to have Chad argue with her, and it continues on. In fact, if Eve had not sent Paige to live with cousin Joan, then Paige would have gone to Stanford, never met JJ.....etc.

The thing is that while Eve did do some horrible things to Paige (Eve is fully aware what she did to Paige and part of her grief is due to guilt and self hatred). and JJ. I also think that JJ needs to be held accountable for his actions-he should have known better than sleep with his girlfriend's mother. As for Jennifer, she never should have blackmailed Eve into letting Paige see JJ, which only added to Paige's pain. The bottom line is that while Eve, JJ, and Jennifer all hurt/betrayed Paige, they are NOT responsible for Ben's killing spree-that is on Ben and only Ben.

Last edited:
At the post funeral gathering Eve flat our admitted that she was a bad mother and regretted it. She has admitted it, understood it and paid the price for it. Eve was absolutely correct that Jenn didn't do right by Paige either.

Jenn has her share of being snotty as well. Eve came to collect on a legal contract and there's nothing wrong with that. Jenn couldn't just settle the book proceeds she had to gloat and rub it in Eve's nose. The good guy doesn't do that. Paige stayed in Salem because of JJ deferring her freshman year at a very prestigious school. Jenn gloated and rubbed that in Eve's nose.

Then again after the bedding incident Jenn blackmailed Eve so JJ could again pursue Paige even though once again she would have gone off to that prestigious school. And again Jenn really gloated and rubbed it in to Eve nose. If Jenn would have left well enough alone she wouldn't have been in Salem to be killed. That is something Eve has every right to give Jenn a butt chewing over.

That being said I don't thing Jenn or Eve has any blame in Paige's murder. That is all on the murderer.
Still both Eve and Jenn have been really rotten in their own ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
SarahBeth, Exactly and I just don't believe that it is fair to blame Eve for Ben's actons-he is the one brutally murdered Serena/Paige and framed Chad for it. Eve didn't know Serena and she doesn't know Chad. Like I've said, Eve, JJ and Jennifer all played a part in Paige's getting hurt, however, they are not responsible for Ben's killing spree.

This thread is not about JJ, Paige or Ben. It is about Jennifer & Eve. And I did say I have not liked the big change in Jen's personality. Personally, I did not think Jen "gloated" or "rubbed nose" in anything. Eve hit below the belt, so did Jen.
Between the two, I think Eve behaved more badly. I think she knows it, which is why she is truly suffering so horribly of late.

Barb, I agree that both women behaved badly. I also think that Eve needs extensive psychological treatment so she overcome her troubled past, what happened with Paige, and conquer her demons. Hopefully, her seeking help instead of wasting precious time worrying about Jennifer will be Eve's exit story.

I think Jennifer Rose has been Jennifer Stinkweed since back to at least when Nicole was pregnant. Her snobby side showed up back then. And she doesn't even realize that she's being a snob.

I really appreciated seeing Jennifer go to Eve's apartment and trying to be there for her. I'm sure it wasn't easy, and she had to have known that she might get a door slammed in her face, at best. I understand Eve's reaction, but I sincerely would have liked to have seen Eve actually lean on Jennifer, if only for a minute. Didn't they used to be good friends? Would have been nice to see a slight spark of that, particularly in Eve's time of need. Jenn doesn't need to be her sudden best friend or anything... but Eve definitely needs someone. Theresa has been better and has been there for her, and Justin to a degree, but some part of me was just really hoping to see Eve completely break and submit to Jenn's comfort. Just for a minute. Maybe she still will.

And really, this has less to do with Jennifer's efforts at reaching out to Eve, and more to do with Eve just plain needing help from someone. If she can accept some help, some comfort, it could mean she's on the eventual path to healing. Then she might actually be a likable character and will stop acting so stupidly! And to accept help from her archenemy, well, I think that's good drama - as opposed to the same old, same old bickering about stupid stuff because she is angry.

guiltypleasure. I don't believe that at this point in time especially considering EVERYTHING that Eve has done, that Jennifer really owes Eve anything. I think Jennifer's attention would be better served being their for HER family members-Abigail/JJ, Lucas, Hope, etc.

I also think that it way past time for Eve to finally pay for all the destruction she has brought.

@tabbycat46 , you are absolutely right - Jennifer doesn't owe Eve anything. But, since she made the effort to go to Eve and try to console her, I think it would have been nice to see Eve accept the help - for her own sake and character development, not for Jennifer's. In some ways i think it could help Eve get beyond her nastiness, and in other ways it could be the ultimate payback - that she had little choice but to allow herself to be completely vulnerable at Jennifer's feet, and accept the comfort that Jennifer would give.

Again - Jennifer doesn't owe Eve anything. But even nasty Jennifer has more compassion than friendly Eve (at least the one I know), and it's in her character (what's left of it) that she would want to help someone who is hurting. Not because she has to, but because she wants to. Plus, didn't Jennifer and Eve used to be good friends?

Had the truth not come out about JJ and Eve, then JJ/Paige were planning to attend seperate schools, Stanford and a community college. Eve continued to target JJ even though Paige was not speaking to either of them, and it could have gotten JJ and his family killed.

I have not been a fan of Jenn either but I do believe she was right about Eve from the beginning (I wasn't watching back when Eve apparently married Jack, so I know I'm missing part of their history there) So my conclusion is that Eve, Jenn, and JJ have definitely earned all the guilt their hearts can hold onto (Jenn because she also didnt act as the adult and mother and end the fighting and be honest with Paige from the beginning)

But Ben is the psycho here and I think Clyde is running behind him and cleaning up some of the mess, at the very least is aware of his sons actions, but Ben as of now is the only one to blame directly for the murder.

As for Jen & Eve...... why would she give a darn about Jennifer and how she reacts? All she can think of is herself...and maybe this is the anger she's carried all her life for the life she led. Anyways....she's been doing a great job of acting like the mother of the deceased .................

deleted spoiler in non-spoiler forum.......Poirot

guilty, there is no reason why Jennifer or anyone else for that matter needs to help Eve. Eve came to town with one goal in mind-to destroy Jennifer. LIke I said, before, no one owes her anything considering all the trouble she's caused.

Last edited:
@tabbycat46 I apparently cannot adequately express what I'd like to say! Ultimately, i agree with you. I would just like to have seen it turn out a little differently. :)

I did not like the way Jennifer acted at times but at least she didn't drug Eve, bug her house and put people in mortal danger by doing so.

Back