Julian News

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last month Julian turned 3 years old. He is babbling a bit, wears a brace on his one leg, still keeps that right hand clenched most of the time. The leg brace enables him to run somewhat, otherwise he can't.

Last week Thursday, he had his 3rd stem cell transplant, and was very sick afterwards, which did not happen the first time, but did last year, after the second transplant.

Here is the news I received.....
And the GREAT news is 106.8 million of his own stem cells were re-injected into Julian’s spine. That’s the 2nd highest number EVER in this clinical trial. They hope for 18-20 million and are absolutely ecstatic to have these results!

Unfortunately, Julian has been sicker than sick from the procedure. This morning is our first sign that he’s feeling better! He’s lost 5 pounds in about 2 days and has just been so very weak and nauseous. If you can imagine, not only was he sick in the hospital and hotel, but on the jetway, on the plane and as we tried to get through customs on Sunday afternoon. (But kudos to Delta flight attendants and Customs agents. They all went above and beyond to help us!!!)

It’s a difficult enough experience here in the United States, but being in a foreign country (Mexico)and all that goes with that (language, water, food, transportation, hotel, etc.…) adds an immeasurable amount of stress to the equation. Julian is one brave, determined little dude and my hero!
Once again, y’all rose to the occasion!! Thanks SO much to each of you for your notes, thoughts and prayers! They were definitely needed and more than appreciated!

Julian is always in my prayers, as he is still for many of you. He has therapy twice a week now, down from 3 times a week, has both physical and verbal. He hasn't had seizures in the past year, and so his meds for that have been really reduced. I think this the last of the stem cell thing......which has helped a lot. The first one was amazing the help it did, the second one took longer to see any noticeable effects, but they were there. So, will probably have to wait even longer this time. Thank you all again for all your prayers for this little boy.
(for those learning of Julian for the first time.......he had a stroke as he was being born, which resulted in him losing nearly all of the left side of his brain. They had no idea if he would walk, talk, even if he would see, or have to have a feeding tube all his life. )

Last edited:
Thank you for the update, Poirot. Prayers continue for Julian and all of your family. He is a very special little man.

My rants on the subject of stem cell transplants:
1.Our government is far behind the times, and new laws governing a wider usage of stem cell transplants need to be passed.
2.Julian and his parents shouldn't have had to travel to Mexico for this valuable treatment.
3. My cousin's husband was left with 23% lung function from the effects of agent orange used in Vietnam. After a stem cell transplant in September (near Pittsburgh), he is up to 41% lung function. This was not covered by the VA or their private insurance. My cousin had to cash in her IRA to pay the costs for that and his 2 transplants to come.

So happy to hear of Julian's progress. Cerebral Palsy is a very complex disorder with varying degrees and types. These are unique to every individual. I am so glad that you take the time to share your family's story. It's the only way to bring about awareness for Cerebral Palsy and what it is and to dispel misconceptions. It often gets grouped in with other disorders that are not it. I just thought you might like to know if you don't already that March is Cerebral Palsy Awareness Month.

Thank you for the update on Julian. And thank you to flight attendants and crew who were kind and helpful. That is a thankless job and they could have been less than helpful.

I hope Julian gets over this sickness and that the massive amount of cells injected go to where they are needed and help him out!!!! Prayers continue.

And US Government, stem cell research must be funded and must be allowed, and should be covered by insurance.

Glad to hear the update and that he is doing well.

Susan Lucci's daughter Liza Huber (Gwen on Passions) has a son with cerebral palsy. She recently went public with the news and talks about it quite a bit, primarily on her Instagram account but I believe she is on Twitter as well. She also had a difficult birth and this is the reason she no longer acts.

Back