Little stones, big ripples

JasonDíSpeech

Reaction score
I thought we could have a "Weekend Discussion Thread" where we suggest a small change to a story that could/would have had lasting impact in Salem.

I'll start with the idea that bore this topic: Jeannie T's exit. (I refuse to use her fake name, now or ever, LOL.)

I feel it would have been better if she had been killed during the siege. No ambiguity with Brady, no spewing hate from him. No thinking she doesn't love Tate.

As the fiancée of John Black and Marlena's son, and Victor's grandson, he should have been Target #1 for Milo Harp/Orpheus. Orpheus tries to get him, Jeannie T intercepts and sacrifices herself, and is his prisoner instead. During a rescue attempt, we see Jeannie T trying to escape, she's shot, falls to the ground. The stronghold (on screen it was a warehouse) explodes during the rescue attempt. Harp is apprehended, and Jeannie T's body is found, identified (though badly burned) by her engagement ring, jewelry, and (for us viewers) the bullet wound.

Admittedly it doesn't change as much of what we've seen now, but I suspect Brady is not long for the single world, and that the reason Jeannie's exit was written as it was was to make it easier for him to fall onto another hot young chick. But this would not be so easy and would provide more emotional impact in future stories than what I suspect we are going to see.

And, of course, there's just enough wiggle room there to say Jeannie T somehow crawled out, bleeding, lost her memory, etc. etc., just in case we ever find a need for it. :wink: No good soap writer writes a "final" exit for a legacy character with a career like Ms Lilley's. :)

I would also have accepted Orpheus blowing up on a plane over an ocean with Jeannie T hostage, à la Marlena circa (1987?) the 1980s. But hey, I write for the budget the show has. LOL

I also think Jeannie T should have been "killed" and I agree the was a huge missed opportunity by not having Orpheus target Brady. Actually I wanted him to target Belle as that would have made the most sense. Him kidnapping Belle and hiding her would have made more sense as an exit than her going off to Hong Kong to work for Chad and then being missing when her own daughter was kidnapped. They could have had Shawn looking for Belle all this time along with John.

But I digress. Killing off Jeannie T wouldn't have made much difference story wise from what we actually got. Brady still would have been upset for a while but likely would have moved on quickly just as I suspect he will now.

Have to say, I would not have had Andre being able to have Abby declared dead. To have her vanish (and be with Laura) would have been plenty. Chad could have people looking for her, & there would be no hanky panky with anyone else. JJ could have been off checking out supposed sightings, been despondent at his failure to find his sis, gotten drunk.......but I would not have had that happen. I think his failure to keep in touch with Gabi while away would have caused enough problems upon his return.

And I feel that as Abby got better and better under her grandmother's care, Laura would have contacted Jennifer at last, telling her that Abby was safe, & with her. If Abby was ready to return to Salem, fine. But Abby's return has not been handled well at all. I would have had her return, sure, see Chad & Thomas in the square. Perhaps need a few days to adjust, & work up her courage. But she definitely would have showed up for Chad, whether at his home, or in the square. She came back, she is well, and is reunited with her family.

Andre' may not like that at all, since he was inching his way back into the business. But Abby does tell Chad that Andre helped her get to Laura's, and that doesn't set well with Chad.

And yes, Brady will soon be moving on, as he has done after ALL his lost soul mates. Madison died on their wedding day....Kristen's deception revealed on that wedding day. His ill fated romance with Melanie was effectively railroaded by Jeannie T., and he did not even blink before moving on.

So....yep, Jeannie T will not even be mentioned soon. She perhaps did not even have to be killed in the Orpheus thing.....but instead by this man from her sordid past, who does so in revenge for her refusal to go back to him. However, he himself is killed by cop JJ who happens upon the scene, and is shot himself in the fracas.

And, of course, there's just enough wiggle room there to say Jeannie T somehow crawled out, bleeding, lost her memory, etc. etc., just in case we ever find a need for it. :wink: No good soap writer writes a "final" exit for a legacy character with a career like Ms Lilley's. :)
If Jeannie T. comes back, how about a miracle return for all of Brady's past loves? The troubled Mr. Black is sitting in the Pub sipping his scotch-on-the rocks when he catches sight of Madison James, Arianna the First, Kristen, and Jeannie T. coming through the door. His first reaction is to ask the bartender just how many drinks he's had.

More to the point of this thread, why not have Stefano survive being shot by Hope? He lives long enough to give a dying declaration (admissible in court) stating that Hope was in a highly emotional state when she arrived at the DiLibrary and that he'd goaded her by calling her a "bad cop" and Bo both "banal" and an "ape." Lawyer Justin grows a brain and either gets Hope a deal for a reduced charge or has her successfully plead temporary insanity. The viewers are thus spared Roman and Rafe turning into very dirty cops and maybe even Hope's current adventures with her crude/ rude fellow prisoners. If the writers wanted to go with a Hattie plot, it could have been engineered another way.

A great new topic and thoughtful threads. This tired lady is going to watch a Christmas movie and maybe then my thoughts will flow. You've given us a lot to think about in your remarks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back