Maggie/Daniel

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The way Maggie smothers Daniel makes me wonder about her.

There are many, many women who gave birth to babies they gave up for adoption. And wonder about for years afterwards. And many, many adopted children who wonder what their birth parents looked like. And so many search and find, establish relationships, find siblings, etc. That is wonderful, and one can understand that.

There are many men who donate to sperm banks, and many women who have had eggs harvested for in vitro procedures. And while Maggie's eggs were harvested, she never once expressed an interest in going through any such procedure. So......do men who donate sperm go looking for any children that might have been born to someone they don't know?

Maggie did not go looking for who might have gotten her eggs, but when she learned how Daniel was conceived, she became this hovering, smothering, overbearing fake mother. Maggie has children she raised herself in another state. She never mentions calling them, never goes to visit them, doesn't talk of grandchildren there, etc. The sun rises and sets in Daniel, and only Daniel.
Now Maggie had forged a wonderful and great relationship with Melanie before the truth came out of Melanie's parentage, which served to bond those two even closer than they were, and I understand that.

But I just wish DANIEL would tell Maggie to back off, stay out of his personal life, etc. Heck, even adult children will tell their bio parents the same thing.
Yes, parents will worry about their children, always, no matter the age. Maggie goes overboard, and then some.......in MY opinion.

I have two children born to me when my "stray" son joined my family at age 13 after issues with his "real" parents. He did take more time at the beginning but I don't think I would ever say he is my favorite. He is mine, his children are my Grandchildren. I guess I just have enough love for all three AND I don't have writers penning my life. (removed texting symbols....JS)

Maggie is most definitely way too clingy when it comes to Daniel and I agree he needs to tell her to back off. It seems that all she does is bump into people and get way too nosey about their relationships. This is exactly where Jenn gets her way too demanding to know the intimate details of JJ's love life.

Daniel has told her before. He also has refused her calls from time to time.

I think the problem is that Daniel's memories of his other parents are off screen as is Maggie talking to her daughters. The only time they mentioned Maggie's family onscreen is when she told Daniel that Eve had run over Sarah years ago, and Daniel clearly knew who Sarah was.

has anyone seen the movie 22 Jump Street? There's a scene where an octopus latches onto the guys face and they can't get it off.

That's how I feel about Daniel and Maggie. Maggie discovered Daniel was her stolen egg baby and she is the octopus, Daniel is the face. Only he likes it and won't tell her to get off.

It's disgusting and I feel sorry for Daniel's real mother. Maggie is NOT his real mother. DNA does not make you a real mother, it makes you a biological mother. But the woman that raised Daniel, helped him through school and medical school, kissed his boo boos better while he was growing up... that's his real mom.
Maggie is guilty of not mentioning her real children, and Daniel is guilty of not mentioning his real mother.

I will end my rant now, for the sake of all those reading. LOL.

I think that the writers of this show in general have a very poor definition of family. We've seen countless situations on this show where an adopted member of a family will date a blood member of the family as if that is ok because they are not blood related. We've also seen situations where a step-relative will date a blood relative. Regardless of the fact that these individuals grew up together and considered each other to be family.

On the flip side of that now, we have a situation where Daniel is biologically Maggie's child so that automatically makes her his "mom". It's as if the writers saying that unless you are blood related, you're not really considered family. A really horrible message to send to viewers.

The only anomaly I've seen to this is the sudden consideration of Brady and Sami/Eric as siblings instead of step-siblings. I'm totally fine with that by the way but it seems to break the typical mold of this show.

That's one of the reasons I like Daniel's relationship with JJ and hope it stays intact. Even though Daniel and Jen are broken up (hopefully for good), he still treats JJ as a son, just as he would have had he and Jen married, and JJ seems to have accepted Daniel as his stepfather. And that transcends Daniels relationship or lack thereof with JJs mother.

I can't agree enough Poirot. This dumb story point was just to mold Melanie & Maggie as "family," even though they already had a special relationship. Stupid. And worse, it made Daniel even more annoying to me, because his meddlesome eggmama was constantly up his lower quarters.
So......do men who donate sperm go looking for any children that might have been born to someone they don't know?
Yes, sometimes they do. But I doubt they act as clingy as Maggie. (And vice versa, the kids go looking for their [bio-] dads.)

I agree with HM on this one; it seems that Maggie talks about/is involved with her other children off-screen, as Daniel knew about Sarah when she mentioned her. And at times, Daniel has indeed told Maggie to back off. I think her being overbearing is because she wants to make up for lost time. She was always there for her other children. But, Victor stole her eggs and pawned them off to his friends. It's not like she abandoned him or pawned him off on someone, so I do think she has the right to be called "mom" by him. She's certainly involved in his life now, as well as his children's lives.

As for the issue of her not paying attention to her other kids (on-screen), that's because of poor writing. If they treat the vets that we DO have on-screen poorly, how can we hold them to a high standard of constantly mentioning or talking of them if they're not on the show? Just look at that pointless divorce Kayla had from Steve.

Just wonder how Daniel would be reacting to Maggie's hovering and interference in his life if his parents were still alive. Just remember, his father's sperm was used, and his mother carried the baby gave birth, and raised him.
So, if his parents were there still, would he be calling Maggie "Mom"? Would it be o.k. for her to be as intrusive as she is in his life?

There are women who are unable to carry babies, and men unable to impregnate. This is why there are sperm donor banks, and egg banks.
I guess if Daniel had continued to call her Maggie, and she treated him like a good friend, perhaps it might be different (for me).

Probably what would be different is Daniel would call them both Mom and Lillian might be jealous at first and he'd have to put both of them in their place all the time instead of just putting Maggie in hers. And then some viewers would complain how he's not respecting his mother enough and others would complain that Maggie should butt out and that she's not his mother, just his egg donor--just like we're doing in this thread.

I sort of feel like Maggie goes overboard and smothers lot s of people. I'm probably in the minority, but I guess that's why her smothering of Daniel doesn't bother me so much - in my eyes, that's just who she is! For as long as I can remember (maybe she wasn't always that way?), she's been gossipy, she sort of judgmentally "controls" Victor (which can be kind of cute), she meddles in Brady's life (and Lucas's, before) as his sponsor, she was overly motherly to Nick when he lived with her, and also to Melanie, even before they were family. I can also see, for dramatic purposes, if she felt like a baby was created from her egg that was stolen, how she might feel toward Daniel as they portray her. Is it annoying? Yes. Is it understandable in the soap world? Yes. Especially from her character in particular.

The thing is......Maggie was not always this nosy controlling busybody. Not when Mickey was alive, and on the show all the time with her. I still remember the first time we saw her with this trait. It was really a shock, with folks wondering what the heck happened to Maggie. She was spreading gossip around, sticking her nose where it did not belong, and it just was not like her. Unfortunately, writers who came after continued with that personality, and never went back to "old Maggie".
She IS a kind and caring person, one who worries and tries to help both family and friends. But, it is not the same sort of kindness and caring she exhibited originally.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that she wasn't kind and caring - she definitely is! She certainly means well, but it does come across poorly sometimes. I was just reading about Maggie on Wikipedia, and it says that she turned into the town busybody when she purchases Tuscany (Wikipedia implied it was around 1993). That would explain my memory... I started watching in 1994. I certainly remember Mickey, but not a whole lot. Just doing some layering from time to time, mostly. Does that "history" seem to jive with what you remember?

I don't think she began when she had Tuscany, though it could be. But when that place was damaged in an explosion, Mickey built her the new place, called Chez Rouge, because he called her Red (the hair) at times. But John Clarke, who played Mickey was put on the back burner, and loved the time off. When Maggie was "killed" during the Salem Stalker story, and Bonnie showed up, trying to snag him, did all that country western stuff, including changing Chez Rouge into a country western bar, complete with a bucking bronco, the actor decided he needed to retire, and did. So Days brought in a couple of sub actors for a while, that did not work, Bonnie was vanquished, sent to AZ, the subs were gone, excuses were constantly made for his absence. But I guess the writers figured they had a way to keep Maggie involved in Salem....and she really became the town gossip in earnest. I think it really began more with Chez Rouge, but ....we all have our own opinions. When she married Victor, she was still talking of the restaurant, but, no mention of that any more, is there?

:OT: but with the mention of Bonnie: I knew at the time that Judi Evans, who played Bonnie (and also Adrienne), had been someone major on Days before, but didn't really see enough (or any) of her to really know who she was. I had seen her before on Another World. I briefly watched one summer while in school, but it was enough to sear the actor into my memory. I remember about four people from that show - the "main" older male and female, and Paulina and Jake. For some reason I liked them... maybe because I think they had split before and were trying to get back together. That's as much as I remember about that entire soap, but it is funny to me that, even though I am a long-time Days watcher, and Judi Evans has been a long-time Days actor, every time I see her I still think of her as Paulina!

:back:

She was the first Beth on GL, a memorable role, high drama, another young girl raped by a stepfather. She left there, and next was on Days, playing Adrienne, the only child Jo JOhnson kept after putting her two boys (Steve & Jack) into an orphanage.

Jo Johnson was so thrilled when she became reunited with her adult boys,.,.,.,.but I cannot say she ever doted and smothered them as Maggie does to Daniel. Maggie is overbearing, with him, in my opinion, and just seems more interfering than Jen with her two, Adrienne with Sonny. However, at least she does not connive and manipulate like Kate does with her children. :)

Back