Must have brand name grocery items?

Before I got married, I swore by Bounty but my husband isn't brand sensitive. I still wish we used Bounty though because you can see a quality difference with other brands.

Hard to get some preferred brands up here. I have no idea why some brands just disappear. We have two supermarkets (not really huge ones) both having recently been purchased by new owners, one a chain in Minnesota, the other a small chain in Wisconsin. Then there is WalMart. In all cases, they only carry a few brands of bar soap, so no Lux, Palmolive, Camay.....don't know if the manufacturers stopped producing them, or the stores just stopped carrying them. One of the new supermarket owners just stuffed the store now with it's own house brand of everything, and the other also has a lot of in house brand stuff. Want to laugh, Only sells Folgers & Maxwell House Coffee. NO other brands. My one friend uses nothing but Hills Brothers, and asked if they intended to carry it eventually. Nope!

Jif Peanut Butter and Smuckers jams because my mom works for Smuckers.

I grew up using Bounty paper towels because that's what my mom buys and since I don't have to pay for them it's a good deal for me. When I get married the husband and I will use Walgreens Nice! brand because I can't tell the difference between them and the Bounty plus I'll buy them when they're on sale and I get 25% off store brands so amazing deal for me.

But we'll be using Charmin toilet paper.

Well, I must say Heinz Ketchup, tomato juice and chili sauce. And, believe it or not, I have tried making my Spaghetti sauce with other brands, sometimes, when money was tight, and I swear, it didn't taste the same and was not as good (I'm famous for my spaghetti sauce, I tell you ! :)) as when I use Heinz products !

Also, for my devilled eggs, it has to be Miracle Whip. And no, not the light kind. :)

Heinz ketchup (I buy Heinz mustard too, but that's only because the big #10 container makes it even less expensive than the generic)

Kraft Miracle Whip

Sparkle paper towels (very inexpensive, but much better than the generic)

Golden Star coconut milk - in cans, in the Asian food section at Walmart. Okay, so they don't have generic, but I am very brand specific. It's just coconut and water, nothing else in it, and it's not the low fat junk either. If I'm out and they're out of Golden Star, I'll buy Imperial Dragon, but everything else has a funky flavor.

Northern toilet paper

Vlasic Bread and Butter pickles

Jif Peanut Butter and Smuckers jams because my mom works for Smuckers.

WOW!

A few times each summer I make a day trip to Orrville, Ohio. (about 1 hour and 10 minutes from me.) Love, love, love how good it smells from the Smuckers' plant. The little town is BEAUTIFUL!!! I always buy a lot at the Smuckers' "barn" store on the other side of town . There are so many things there that my local stores don't stock.

Kraft Miracle Whip and Macaroni and Cheese.

We also always use the Scott single ply toilet paper, not that it's my favorite, but everything else clogs our sewer pipe and we don't have $10,000 to dig up the basement floor to put in a new one. :rolleyes: The good news is that 1 roll lasts our family of 3 a whole week.

:OT:We have a low flow toilet which doesn't help. The previous owner had the sewer line repaired twice in 2 different places, rather than just replace the whole line. So the original pipe is cast iron, the new spots are PVC and have sagged, creating low spots for stuff to settle. Then after the repairs, had a concrete floor poured in.

We had the line scoped with a camera once to see what the problem was, which is how we know about the pipe. The floor shows no signs of repair, so we know that they were done prior to the floor being installed. Pretty sure it was dirt before, that based on the fact that my house was built in 1886.

We've had to have the roto rooter people come out so much we bought our own 50 foot snake and my husband cleans the line every 3 months, whether it's backed up or not, as flood prevention.

Thanks, JS. Will check it out as soon as my Aldi (half mile from my house) reopens October 4th. They're remodeling, and adding on to make the store twice as big. This was already the biggest Aldi within 50 miles. I have $5.00 coupons for each week until then that are supposed to cover the cost of gas to get to other sites, but it still wipes out the convenience when I have to travel a half hour to an hour each way to the 3 stores the coupons are good for.

Yep, I know. That amount of time is nothing compared to what Old Cowgirl and Poiroit have to travel one way to shop.

Back