Need more special effects on Days

ralf

Reaction score
I know it's just a soap, but that shooting. Wow, they need better sound effects. Puleezee.

While I KNOW that shotgun and rifles are really loud, have heard them, (hunters) every time there is a shooting spree in real life, the witnesses always say they heard "pop, pop, pop". So, I did not have a problem with the sounds used for the guns John & Steve were using. It did sound Pop, Pop, Pop.

You both are right. I'm just a fan of good sound effects; too much sci-fi in me. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that whole shooting scene was just entirely fake! The acting was just BLAH! It wasn't genuine to me.

I have no problem with meh effects as long as the story gets told but they actually had the squib that Abe was shot with showing on his shirt. You could see it obviously sitting there on an undamaged shirt.

I just wish they would have removed the squib (blood capsule). It just seemed pretty obvious that they bust a capsule on his chest vs having one wired to pop underneath his shirt like a real squib would.

Even if they are still filming in one take and have minimal time, it could have been tossed away.

To be fair here about that, they have NO rehearsal, have reduced crew, etc. As JS noted, with their extremely limited budget they really did a good job, in my opinion. Better than is done on stage, performing live. I don't expect prime time abilities, or those in movies. As various actors have noted in interviews, the days of umpteen rehearsals, traveling to foreign countries, extravagant shoots, huge numbers of people attending a wedding, ball, etc. are long gone. Being they have a "one take" rule.....if there is a mistake, it stays. If an actor ad libs on occasion, it stays.

When you see the actual tiny size of the set in which they are confined...really did wonderfully well, in my opinion.

I can't get over the fact that the alley set is a redressed version of the old loft hallway. The fence area that they run in/out of is where the elevator was. I wish they would redress that awful blue office set this well. But I agree it's a tiny space.

Nice to see Drake Hogestyn (John) and Stephen Nichols (Steve) doing their own stunt work as well, even if minor.

Considering their shoestring budget, I thought they did a decent job.
Exactly. On the DVD of the Ben Affleck film, The Town, there's special feature that outlines of all the work that went into the very effective portrayal of a major shootout with automatic weapons inside Fenway Park between Ben Affleck's experienced crew of armed robbers and a heavily armed FBI SWAT team. Even a modest version of such a shootout with its elaborate and costly preparations is far beyond budget of a soap like Days.

Last edited:
Back