Pet Peeves

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have a new head writer, who, so far, is doing a great job, so, am not going to fault story.

This is about the other stuff.

The lack of attention to seasons in the midwest, the location of Salem.

Actors are rarely dressed the way folks would be in the fall, the winter in particular, even spring. Salem is not in a section of the country with continual summer.

No one is continually in a dress, especially a "party" dress. Where are the jeans. t-shirts, jean jackets slacks, casual pants, etc.

Same goes for the little ones.

And then there are the overused, and I do mean overused sites, the square, the park, (that one is asinine, in my opinion)

It's gotten much better but there is still an issue with family connections. When is Brady going to refer to Marlena as "Mom" again because he used to. I hate that Claire is so isolated without her parents when she's related to half of Salem. Why didn't Marlena check on her after she checked on Eric and Brady? Why doesn't Eric take Claire under his wing?

Jennifer's wardrobe still looks like she raided the Brady Bunch wardrobe department and her hair needs to be dyed and restyled

Kate's blue streak

Kate consistently being the only 60+ actor involved in multiple storylines while others are on the backburner for months at a time

Lack of home sets. Where are all the home sets??? I'm tired of seeing personal conversations at the Pub or HTS.

Lack of characters between ages 20-40

Only 1 lawyer

2 hardly seen doctors

Why doesn't Eric take Claire under his wing? [Eric is an obsessive. He's obsessed over whether he should remain a priest, his guilt over causing the death of Dr. McScruffy, and now it's his relationship with Nicole. Claire probably should hope that Eric never takes her "under his wing." If he did, he probably be butting into her affairs 24/7.]

Jennifer's wardrobe still looks like she raided the Brady Bunch wardrobe department and her hair needs to be dyed and restyled. [Jenny is now out of the romance department and has become a professional worrier and busybody. Maybe, if the writers found her a love interest, her look would improve.]

Kate's blue streak. [Image if Kate decided to go "all blue." This shocking sight might just sober up poor Lucas.]

Kate consistently being the only 60+ actor involved in multiple storylines while others are on the backburner for months at a time. [Kate is capable of anything, so it's probably easier to work her into storylines.]

Lack of home sets. Where are all the home sets??? I'm tired of seeing personal conversations at the Pub or HTS. [Agree. Whatever happened to Hope's home? Let's bring it back even if it's only to have Andre set fire to it again.]

Lack of characters between ages 20-40. [Agree again. This is an age group that can have real romances, not the insipid, silly, juvenile teen stuff that's been foisted on the viewers.]

Only 1 lawyer. [And he's not even much of an attorney. Currently, my biggest peeve is the unrealistic portrayal of legal and police matters. Yes, Days is a soap, but at least it could aspire to the level of unrealism seen on prime-time network programming.]

2 hardly seen doctors. [This is a problem. Do the writers think that nobody can measure up to the high standards set by the almighty Love Doctor? In any case, they should do something. Who will care for John when he goes into his next coma, Victor after his next heart attack, or the next Salemite to be shot or poisoned?]

Finally, another peeve is the backburnering or elimination of characters who provide comic relief: Anne Milbauer, Rory, and T.

Kate's blue streak. [Image if Kate decided to go "all blue." This shocking sight might just sober up poor Lucas.]
5147887-margesimpson.png

I am so with you on the party dresses. That is one of my biggest pet peeve on the show. Gabi dresses in such tight dresses, with her boobs poppin' all over the place, when she is playing with her kid. Seriously? News flash: moms are just as beautiful in jeans and a t-shirt playing with their child as they are in your over-sexed, 2 sizes too small, party dress. Ugh! Just. No.

Yes, the actress who plays Gabi is gorgeous, and has a body that can pull off those tight dresses, we get it. But put the mama in some freakin' jeans and a t-shirt. Moms are sexy too!

If I went off on my other pet peeves, well, I might as well just beat a dead horse. Sometimes, this show is like a really bad train wreck or car wreck. You know, when you don't want to look anymore, BUT YOU DO because you are curious and want to know what happens next. lol. Ugh.

As a born-and-bred mid-westerner I am with you Poirot on my peeve being the lack of changing scenery and apparel during the seasons. A few fake autumnal leaf branches in the park is hardly symbolic of Autumn when the characters are dressed in short, sleeveless and flimsy outfits! No sweaters? No coats?! This has bothered me for a decade.

Why doesn't Eric take Claire under his wing? [Eric is an obsessive. He's obsessed over whether he should remain a priest, his guilt over causing the death of Dr. McScruffy, and now it's his relationship with Nicole. Claire probably should hope that Eric never takes her "under his wing." If he did, he probably be butting into her affairs 24/7.]

Jennifer's wardrobe still looks like she raided the Brady Bunch wardrobe department and her hair needs to be dyed and restyled. [Jenny is now out of the romance department and has become a professional worrier and busybody. Maybe, if the writers found her a love interest, her look would improve.]

Kate consistently being the only 60+ actor involved in multiple storylines while others are on the backburner for months at a time. [Kate is capable of anything, so it's probably easier to work her into storylines.]

Lack of home sets. Where are all the home sets??? I'm tired of seeing personal conversations at the Pub or HTS. [Agree. Whatever happened to Hope's home? Let's bring it back even if it's only to have Andre set fire to it again.]

Lack of characters between ages 20-40. [Agree again. This is an age group that can have real romances, not the insipid, silly, juvenile teen stuff that's been foisted on the viewers.]

Only 1 lawyer. [And he's not even much of an attorney. Currently, my biggest peeve is the unrealistic portrayal of legal and police matters. Yes, Days is a soap, but at least it could aspire to the level of unrealism seen on prime-time network programming.]

2 hardly seen doctors. [This is a problem. Do the writers think that nobody can measure up to the high standards set by the almighty Love Doctor? In any case, they should do something. Who will care for John when he goes into his next coma, Victor after his next heart attack, or the next Salemite to be shot or poisoned?]

Finally, another peeve is the backburnering or elimination of characters who provide comic relief: Anne Milbauer, Rory, and T.

I tweeted Brendan Coughlin (Tad) and he liked my tweet
Brendan Coughlin liked your reply
21h21 hours ago
Wayne@realSway1
@Bren_Coughlin You need to come back as Tad since Will is back to Days.

I am so with you on the party dresses. That is one of my biggest pet peeve on the show. Gabi dresses in such tight dresses, with her boobs poppin' all over the place, when she is playing with her kid. Seriously? News flash: moms are just as beautiful in jeans and a t-shirt playing with their child as they are in your over-sexed, 2 sizes too small, party dress. Ugh! Just. No.

Yes, the actress who plays Gabi is gorgeous, and has a body that can pull off those tight dresses, we get it. But put the mama in some freakin' jeans and a t-shirt. Moms are sexy too!

If I went off on my other pet peeves, well, I might as well just beat a dead horse. Sometimes, this show is like a really bad train wreck or car wreck. You know, when you don't want to look anymore, BUT YOU DO because you are curious and want to know what happens next. lol. Ugh.
Does the character Gabi even have a job? How does she support herself and her daughter? Does she pay for childcare while she runs around getting into everybody's business? Many questions. The actress has a very nice figure, but the more recent over emphasis on the boobs is ridiculous. And somewhat insulting.

The up to there, down to here, and cut out clothing is just plain disgusting. I don't know any female of any age who dresses like that.

Yes, susala, Gabi's clothing, along with much of Chloe's, is insulting and sexist. Is the show trying to lure in straight male viewers between the ages of 18 and 40??

Jennifer also needs to be dressed for her age.

Aside from the fancy or overly sexy dresses, the women's shoes botter me a lot.

All the women on Days, except maybe Deidre Hall (Marlena) and a few others, wear really, really high heels. I don't know about all of you, but I rarely wear heels. Even for events now, I wear cute flats, as I can't wear heels anymore, having had knee and back problems. I used to own a few pairs, but for occasions like weddings, or a formal party. But for everyday? Never.

I remember Jennifer going around with her back injury on ridiculous high heels ! :rolleyes: They're not confortable anytime, let alone with a back injury.

Enough with the ridiculous heels. Show me flats, show me sneakers, show me great everyday footwear!

The actors will complain when they have to stand around in them. I do agree there is an over reliance on having the women in super high (6"??) stilletos. I honestly do not think cops wear them on duty, unless undercover. One wonders how you chase a perp. As to moms.......how do you chase down a running 3/4 yr. old?

To be fair, Chloe has been covered up mostly this last time in Salem. Yep, wearing the full skirts, flowing sweaters over, and carrying the great big purse. One would think she was pregnant? ( :sarcasm: )

So just a quick note about the high heels, the reason the actresses wear them from what I understand, is because the actresses are too short for the shot. Most of the time there is a big difference in height between the leading lady and the leading man. They would never get both actors in the frame without the heels. Its ridiculous I know but still.

My biggest pet peeve is how LOOOOOONG they drag a story out. Lucas is doing a great job as a drunk but enough is enough. Gabi has been drooling over Chad for way too long.

Brady and his jealousy, What can I say?

You get the message. Just too long!!

So just a quick note about the high heels, the reason the actresses wear them from what I understand, is because the actresses are too short for the shot. Most of the time there is a big difference in height between the leading lady and the leading man. They would never get both actors in the frame without the heels. Its ridiculous I know but still.

Maybe.Some women would have too much of a difference with their leading man, I guess. Like Sami and EJ (don't get me started how neither of them are leading material, not to mention the most horrible couple in my opinion, but bear with me). But then, why put the actress, who plays Nicole, in such high heels? She's tall. And she's gorgeous, no reason for her to hide that fact, sure. But is it really necessary for her to wear stilettos and tower most of the women on the show, and even most of the men?

That is incorrect. When there is a big height difference between two (or more) actors, and they want them to all fit into the shot better, they just have the shorter ones stand on "apple boxes" (small wooden crates of varying sizes/heights). Of course, those are for the shots where their feet aren't shown. But most shows just want to put the ladies in sky high heels because they think it's sexy.

Does seem to me if they had successfully hid the fact that various actresses have been pregnant, they could solve their problem a bit easier than making them all wear stilettos. Shoot from the waist up and let the actress stand on a small platform. Have the actors seated.

Sorry, was just thinking how years ago, they had shorter male actors do that, stand on a platform, to be taller than the women. Sometimes, a tall actor actually had to stand in a dug out hole to appear a bit shorter. Then, of course, there were the short doorways.......oh, yes, instead of being 7 or 8 ft. high, the doorway would be 6 ft. so the actor would appear taller.

I am really annoyed by the lack of talking about family/friends who are no longer on screen. NOT pretend dead, as no one dies in Salem. But really, you'd think Maggie would say, "I spoke with Melissa today she and XX are doing fine" Or Julie, whose beloved Nick was killed by the evil terrible Gabi, never mentions speaking with his mom. It is sort of getting better, but it's not even close not to being normal.

The lack of doing "normal" day-to-day things. Carrying in a bag of groceries. Putting them away in the kitchen. Talking about taking the car in for an oil change or to be checked out. NOT being able to go somewhere because they have to wait for a service call for cable, electrician, phone guy, plumber, etc.

And I second the less-casual clothing and heels.

The thing I really get peeved about is all the kissing while "on the job". Like Hope and Rafe, or Steve and Kayla. I think the hospital or police station are not the places for it.

Number two on my list is no one has an office. All business is done on the phone or at the pub or the square.

One more, the never "lose signal" cell phones, unless there is an emergency. Then they can't get a signal!

So just a quick note about the high heels, the reason the actresses wear them from what I understand, is because the actresses are too short for the shot.

I attended an event with newscaster Kate Snow a few years ago. She is very tall and came in wearing high heels. She said she wears them because they look better on tv.

I agree that Gabi and quite frankly most other characters appear overdressed at times. Jennifer has been a culprit of this since the early 90s. Always dressed up and never casual.

Regarding the tight dress, I spent this past weekend with my cousin in Chicago. She is 35 and skinny with 2 toddlers. She's also a very busy attorney. She wore a tight fitting tube top dress all day Saturday. To her credit, she likes dresses and skirts because she gets bloated a lot from celiac disease. But she did wear denim shorts with Vans on her feet Friday night.

So my issue with the show is more that the characters are always dressed up. Show some balance. Nobody dresses up every single day. Abby and Chad do wear jeans on occasion. I liked Abby's short dress with booties at the church. That is something I could have seen Kate Mansi (ex-Abby) wear plus it was age appropriate for Abby. Marlena doesn't need to be in suits everyday, especially that black pants suit.

I seriously think the show needs to overhaul the wardrobe and hair departments as these are 2 of the most consistent topics I read complaints about.

Back