Pet Peeves

The lack of attention to seasons in the midwest, the location of Salem.

Actors are rarely dressed the way folks would be in the fall, the winter in particular, even spring. Salem is not in a section of the country with continual summer.
As a born-and-bred mid-westerner I am with you Poirot on my peeve being the lack of changing scenery and apparel during the seasons. A few fake autumnal leaf branches in the park is hardly symbolic of Autumn when the characters are dressed in short, sleeveless and flimsy outfits! No sweaters? No coats?! This has bothered me for a decade.
The lack of attention to the climate of the upper Mid-West can't be stressed enough. I can still remember very cold days at Northwestern University when the wind was blowing in off ice-covered Lake Michigan. If the women students back then had dressed like those in Salem, they would have been seeking treatment for frostbite. In fact, it's surprising that University Hospital doesn't need a whole ward dedicated to frostbite victims. Imagine the following conversation:

Nurse: Dr. Johnson, they just brought in Gabi Hernandez who's suffering from frostbite in some unusual parts of the body.

Kayla: OMG, how many times have I told her not to wear low-cut tops, short skirts, and light jackets in the depths of a Mid-West January!

Although, and I've said this before, some young women out here actually put their "assets" ahead of their well-being. I live in Quebec, Canada. Believe me, during the winter, it can get very, very cold. In January and February, we often have temperatures reaching -25 degrees Celsius (-13 Fahrenheit). Unfortunately, I have seen women walking around in short skirts, shoes and... no stockings ! :eek: Sometimes, it feels like women are making progress, other times... not so much! :sad: I mean, what does it matter if a teenager is freezing. It's much more important to look cool. :sarcasm: (but pun intended).

Can we get different designed back covers or some stickers put on those giant computers, so every entire single character in Salem doesn't same to use the exact same laptop? I can see Claire and Theo sharing the same model laptop with the university, but otherwise makes no sense Myron happens to have Theo's laptop, too.

Being born and raised in Southern California, the way the women dress on the show hardly bothers me because it is 80 degrees during Christmas weather. However, think the wardrobe department forget they are in fictional Salem, midwest and not anywhere near sunny LA county. Or perhaps budget cuts are so bad and the studio lacks air conditioning, LOL! I did like seeing Bonnie in jeans.

Maybe some more ethnicity on the show and culture than just Irish/Italian/Greek Catholics. Yes, we were given the Hernandez family, but that so flopped, bad writing. Like I wouldn't mind seeing say Valerie and Eli celebrate Kwanzaa, or bring on a Islamic Arabic family which hasn't really been done, or Jeremy Horton celebrate his Jewish heritage. It is almost 2018, something to think about. I'm Catholic myself so I don't have a problem, but I like diversity.

Thanks, JS. Never heard of Vans either.

Shall we mention the fact that barely anyone works? And if we do see them in a work environment (hospital, cop shop) they are gabbing, kissing, arguing, but definitely NOT working. Where does Gabi get money to buy her too small clothes, food, support Ari?

Where do Claire, Theo & Tripp get the $$$ for their living expenses, let alone college fees. Gas, clothes, utilities. O.K. have seen Claire once or twice being a waitress somewhere, but mostly she is home.

Yep, am sick and tired of these supposedly huge corporations being run out of home and a cell phone. Anyone ever see a file cabinet in those homes?

What happened to Black Patch? Tuscany? Ballistix? The Spectator? (no, neither Jen or Adrienne were ever there, not even Anne)

I really wish the women on Days would learn to cook, would have dinner with family in the kitchen or dining room. Not fancy, just a meal.

I will pick Jennifer's lackluster straw hair. She is a beautiful woman. Geez Louise, fix that mop.

My biggest pet peeve, finally remembered, here goes!

Why the heck does Victor or Kate even suggest Lucas and Brady to stop drinking and to stay sober when frigging booze is just bottomless right in front of them in their living rooms? I truly feel Victor or even Maggie have no right to even tell Brady about drinking when brandy and scotch is always in front of Brady's face.

Also same with Kate. What did she expect with Lucas with booze out there on display at the mansion? You want to help your drug addict/alcoholic relatives, you HIDE the booze! Otherwise, you really cannot say anything. It's like eating a nice double patty greasy cheeseburger while being thin next to someone seriously needing help and dieting to lose weight.

Does Lucas live at the Kmansion or DiMansion? I do agree about Brady, being able to access booze 24/7 at the Kmansion. I have no idea WHY these places have those booze carts constantly on display. I mean, The decanters of brandy, whiskey could all be in a cabinet, easily accessible. But, I am guessing it just gives the characters/actors something to do as they say their lines.

On every soap with a wealthy family, there is always a selection of liquor in crystal decanters sitting off to the side (in their house). Even the old nighttime soaps, Dallas, Dynasty, The Colbys, Falcon Crest, Flamingo Road.

Back