Reply/Quote Feature

KathyLu

Reaction score
Website
www.heraldanewday.com
JazzCat said:
I've been unable to use the Reply and have my comment box "grab" the person I want to quote comment for a while now.

I've been having the same problem for several weeks, too. I have cleared cookies, rebooted, and signed off and back on, but nothing works.

Anyone else?

Wayne, phone home. :)

A few people have mentioned they've had problems with the quoting feature the past few months or so.

I wonder if those having a problem are using phones, and not a regular computer?

Perhaps if you all stated what browser, and kind of internet hookup, Wayne might be able to figure out what might be the problem.

On my Android phone (Galaxy S4), I click the BB Code Editor (Italic capital A in the upper right hand corner of my reply box menu ribbon) after clicking on the "Reply" button on someone's post in order for their quote to show in my reply box.

Me too. I use a PC. I don't have internet on my cell. It's been several months since I have be able to quote by clicking the button. I have to copy and paste.

So what you are all saying is that when you hit "reply" on the far right, the post is not quoted, right?

Can you tell me what browser you are using? Wayne said there was no change to the software we are using, but if this problem goes back months for just some of you, it is very strange.

It goes right to the box with no quote. Internet Explorer 11

I normally use Google Chrome as my browser and the quoting feature always works.

I just logged into the site with Internet Explorer and the quote feature did not work when I hit the "reply" button on any post.

I'm signed in to chrome now and going to test it.
So what you are all saying is that when you hit "reply" on the far right, the post is not quoted, right?

Can you tell me what browser you are using? Wayne said there was no change to the software we are using, but if this problem goes back months for just some of you, it is very strange.
Yep it works must be the browser

I had tons of troubles with IE and have not used it for years because of that. I use Firefox and Chrome.

For the record, this is one of those things I simply can't explain. There are too many variables involved to even know where to begin, such as;

- Browser in use
- Browser version
- Javascript settings
- security settings in your browser
- firewall settings
- Antivirus settings
- Javascript version in use (something your browser really controls).

Believe me, the list here really is completely endless. That being said, I *can* assure you of two things;

1. Nothing about the site has changed with my knowledge. I don't control server-side updates. Just the software we run, and one of these days, I *will* have to go through the promised upgrade. I've been waiting really because a) I'm lazy and b) I'll have about a week of recuperation time coming up with a surgery I'm slated for.

2. On the little bar above, there is a "Quote" button on the right hand side. If you click that, it simply inserts a "{quote}{/quote}" into the text box. That's actually normal and the way that is supposed to work. It's the way (I believe) it always has.

1. Nothing about the site has changed with my knowledge. I don't control server-side updates. Just the software we run, and one of these days, I *will* have to go through the promised upgrade. I've been waiting really because a) I'm lazy and b) I'll have about a week of recuperation time coming up with a surgery I'm slated for.
  2. On the little bar above, there is a "Quote" button on the right hand side. If you click that, it simply inserts a "{quote}{/quote}" into the text box. That's actually normal and the way that is supposed to work. It's the way (I believe) it always has.

2a) If you want to quote someone's text, you should click the icon for "Reply" inside their post to quote the text. NOT the little " icon in the toolbar of the quick reply box (the box that appears at the bottom of every thread)

I can't say that works for anyone, and I'm not saying it's going to work correctly for you. Like I said, there are probably a million reasons it might not work for you, but the site is working as designed, and (for me) it works 100% for me from Firefox (PC and Mac), IE 9 (PC), and Safari on the Mac...

Wayne

Wayne, phone home. :)
Sorry I missed your original post. Somehow my thread subscription for this forum has been removed, but I'll see about adding it back. Otherwise, if you specifically need me, it's ALWAYS best to post here *and* Message me please, just in case I miss something, or I'm on walkabout.

Wayne

glad to see this, I thought it was only me! Funny enough it works on my phone, not on the laptop. I will go back up and read all suggestions!

Thank you!!

Back