Salem PD

I beg to differ. lol If they can't, or won't, make them smarter, they should stay the way they are now because it would be a disgrace to any cop uniform.

You're right SarahBeth. Rafe might make a big splash by taking down creepy Kyle or creepier Clyde, but then will come the inevitable relapse. Rafe will probably go back to strolling in the Town Square wearing his badge and gun and doing little but socializing. He won't even have EJ to threaten or occasionally beat up. As for the Salem P.D. itself, writers come and writers go, but one constant is that it's always a collection of bumbling fools. Viewers are expected to like Rafe, Hope, Roman, and Abe, but their positions are always undercut because they're part of an institutional joke. This won't change because "da plot" always prevents Salem's cops from taking down what should be easy targets.

And, DrBakerFan, that is just so wrong!! There are so many enjoyable series in which the starring cops are competent heroes. I will say again [as I said in another thread] that I think they should stick with temp cast members as the villains so that when the story line is finished our Salem PD gets to be successful.

Also they should bring back old Stef and old Vic. They had real teeth in the game these guys don't. Only nubs and gums lol.

I wasn't trying to suggest that giving the local constabulary more realistic police uniforms and Kevlar under the uniforms and radios would make then smarter. If the Salem PD appears to be not the sharpest knives in the drawer, it is because they are written that way. Why that is I don't know, perhaps to make the villains like Clyde, for example, look smarter than they are.

However, if they wanted to give them more credibility and stop making them look like a bunch of Keystone Cops, that would be a first step towards doing it. That and writing the law enforcement angle of this show more competently.

The cops, on occasion, do get the guy, maybe a small time crook, or someone caught red handed, like Ian MacAllister, or Dr. Baker. But I do agree that the writers just have the cops/detectives spin their wheels when it comes to bigger crooks.
Amazing no one ever saw Jeremiah, despite his unusual looks. Or have looked into the takeover of the trucking business more closely. Don't you wonder if they are still investigating the death of EJ, or stabbing of Sonny.
And then there is the oh so religious ex-priest, Eric, who was so holy, so religious, so judgmental of Nicole shredding papers, who knows all about the smuggling of diamonds by Xander & Serena, but has not said a word to any authorities, not even anonymously giving a tip.

Back