Salem Spectator's Best and Worst 2014

S

Sparkster

So, Poirot posted TVGuide's best & worst thing re: soaps earlier and I think cryin4days posted something from SOD earlier in the week. How about we do our own best/worst of 2014 for DAYS? In the interest of board guidelines perhaps don't offer a "worst" actor/actress category in your post but rather just stick with "best" in those categories. Otherwise feel free to give your best/worst for most everything else (character, storyline, scene, line, set, etc.). Also, don't feel like you're locked into best/worst...get creative...

Best at being the most boring: Jordan
Best at consistently being so delusional said character should be institutionalised: Kristen
Best tan: Dr. Taniel
Most annoying and dramatic crier whose tears were unbelievably unbelievable: Sami (do I get away with that one? :rolleyes:)

Best Actor: John Aniston (Victor) he delivers lines like no other and even though he's not overly involved in story I feel like he brings it every scene he's in
Best Actress: Ari Zucker (Nicole) doesn't matter what they give this girl, she will always be hands down the best actress on the show for me, even if she didn't really have too much story this year
Best Storyline: Tie (and sort of a mesh) Abby/EJ affair and Sami's initial revenge on EJ - these stories had so much potential given how hot EJ/Abby were and how awesome it was to see Sami go after EJ due to the affair but it all crumbled apart when Sami so quickly forgave EJ
Worst Storyline: Jordan's past - this took WAY too long to come out and we still don't know the entire story. For someone who came onscreen nearly 18 months ago we should know more about what she was up to and why she was running and more importantly why we as viewers should care
Best Character Introduction: Tie - Aiden and Paul. I am enjoying both storylines so far. Aiden has been a little more of a wait but yet still doesn't seem as bad as Jordan. Paul's storyline with Will and Sonny is pretty good so far.
Snoozeworthy Storyline: Eve/JJ/Paige
Best Breakup: Daniel/Jennifer - can they stay broken up forever?
Hottest Love Scene: EJ/Abby the first time in the cabin and in the shower...holy moly....

Best product placement: Andes mints
Most club hopping, stripper-esque, please-tell-me-no-one-would-wear-that-in-real-life outfits: Kristen
Most underused character: Marlena (2nd runner up: Nicole!)
Most underused iconic phrase: "That's a fact."

Best Actress: Ari Zucker (Nicole) for reasons well-known, and as stated by Sparx above
Best Actress-just-missed-by-an-eyelash: Camila Banus (ex-Gabi), whose work in the last 3 months of her run were Emmy®-worthy.
Best Actor: Casey Moss (JJ) Even though his Paige story is a snooze and the Eve hookup was cringeworthy, this young actor has the goods.
Best Supporting Actor: John Aniston (Victor) He can light up any scene with his delivery. His dialogue is also history-rich.
Best Supporting Actress: Meredith Scott Lynn (Anne) She gives her all to a one-note character, bringing a likable depth to someone we "hate"

Best Couple: Sonny/Will (up to November, at least)
Best Coupling: EJ/Abby (it never was meant to last, but it was a ton of fun)

Best Misuse of an Actor: Drake Hogestyn's (John) shameful stint first out of Salem, then in a coma, then OUT OF SALEM AGAIN. Silly, stupid writers; waste of talent and history.

Worst Couple: Eric/Nicole. I was just getting on board with them when they were torpedoed, and now every memory is tainted by Eric's sour expression and hate-filled rants.
Worst Coupling: Eve/JJ. There is not enough Windex in the world to clean my eyes from the sight of this.

Worst Recast: The inexplicably returned Eve. She's basically a new character anyway...so, why not increase your share, writers, and give her a different name? Oy.
Best Recast: Guy Wilson as Will - although the writing has stunk lately for Will, this actor flawlessly stepped into the role and made me believe he & Freddie Smith (Sonny) were in love for several episodes. Good job. I hope good things are coming next year, but I have little faith given their dearth of story post-wedding until the intro of interloper Paul.

Cutest Little Pumpkin Pie: The Udell twins as Arianna Grace Horton

Best Mystery: Who the heck Hope was allowed to investigate Nick's murder?
Least Startling Confession: Gabi killed Nick!! (I'm pretty sure even without the spoilers of the actress leaving, this was obvious!)

Most Pointless Return: Melanie.
Most Glad that Melanie Returned, thus saving her from having the Most Pointless Return: Kristen

Most Overdue Death: EJ DiMera

Most Friends & Family Minutes: Stefano

Best Actor: Casey Moss (JJ)--As Jason said, this kid has the goods
Best Actress: Kristian Alfonso (Hope)--She consistently makes me feel Hope's angst but I would add Camila Banus (Gabi) as a close 2nd
Best Intro: Serena
2nd Best Intro: Aiden
Best Love Story: Eric/Nicole up until the paper shredding
Worst Love Story: JJ/Paige
Best Couple: EJ/Abigail
Worst Couple: EJ/Samantha
Best Storyline: EJ and Abigail's affair
Worst Storyline: Tie between EJ's cheap death, Sami's 2 second revenge plot and the JJ/Eve/Paige storyline boink included
Best Wardrobe: Rafe
Worst Wardrobe: Jennifer
Most Overused Character: Daniel Jonas and EJ Dimera
Most Underused Character: Rafe, John, Marlena, Kayla, Stefano
Most Overused Set: Kayla/Marlena/Hope/Rafe/Kate/Daniel/Jennifer/Nicole office/hospital waiting room/locker room/Church of Life & Energy set
Most Underused Set: Marlena, Hope, Aiden and Rafe's home sets
Most Ridiculous Set: The tiny room for the gala
Best Wedding: Sonny and Will
Worst Wedding: EJ and Sami
Best Murder: Nick Fallon
Worst Murder: EJ Dimera

Best redemption of a character - JJ
Worst butcher job on a character's personality - Jennifer
Best story - The EJ/Abigail affair, including the beginning of the revenge plot
Worst Story - JJ/Eve sex romp
Most boring character - tie between Paige & Jordan, with Eric a close second
Best actor - yep, it's JJ (for all the reasons others stated)
Best actress - hands down Nicole wins this category for me
Best supporting actor - Oh, Victor by far......he never fails, is a joy to watch and listen to
Best supporting actress - Anne, who can make boring characters seem interesting. LOL
Most disappointing return - Melanie, hands down, tied with Kristen
Best dressed - Victor
Worst dressed - Jennifer
Most disappointing storyline.....Sami caving in and forgiving EJ, then marrying him
Worse treatment of a veteran character - John
Best new character intro - Serena
Most overused characters.....Sami, EJ, Daniel, Jennifer (for most of the year)
Most disappointing tendency....using new characters with bad stories, leaving established characters to fend for themselves.
Most overused set - Horton Square, including the entrance to the park
Most bewildering lack of set - Offices for large corporations
Most underused/overlooked characters - Rafe, Lucas

Best villain: Kristen
Best story: EJ and Abby affair
Worst one-night stand: Rafe and Kate
Best female character: Nicole
Best male character: Lucas
Best child character: Ciara
Most over-used plot device: TIE - sex/cheating and writing absentee husbands as the bad guys

Best sourpuss-gloom-and-doom-got-stuck-in-the-wind-like-grandma-said-it-would face : Eric

Close behind, with the : Best pulling of faces, another champion of the martyr act : Jennifer

Best shrew : Jennifer

Best baby act : Melanie

Best annoying meddler : Maggie, now closely followed by Marlena, who keeps giving advice that nobody asked for (Nicole, Paul), while ignoring her own son's need for therapy.

Best one-liners givers : Victor, Nicole, Anne

Best insomnia medicine : Snooze fest Jordan, closely followed by Paige, second runner up being Ben

Best Cougars : Kate and Eve

Best disgusting sex scenes : See line above about the Cougars, followed closely by Dan and Kristen's almost grief sex :sick:

Best scenes : When EJ finally died, when Kristen finally left, and when Sami finally left, although the scene came from me jumping around for joy.

Best virgin turned a little *bleep* : Abigail

And now, on a more serious note :

Best actress and my favorite character : Nicole

Best addition to the show : Aiden (for now)

Worst addition : Kristen, and now, baby Melanie

Most underused characters : Lucas, Rafe, John, Kayla, and T

Most overused characters : Daniel and Jennifer, Sami and EJ before they left, and now, Melanie.

Worst ending to a once super couple : Hope and Bo, who are closely behind Kayla and Steve.

Best couple Sami and EJ DC just voted them No1 for 2014 no one was sexier than those two when they were together.

Worst couple EJ and Abby stupid storyline that actually tanked the show and main reason why we lost Days two most popular characters just look at the ratings now down every week compared to last year they drove the viewers away.

Worst female Abby boring character who no cares about anymore now she no longer in EJ and Sami's storyline she couldn't hold a handle to Sami she never be as popular as her.

Best Female Alison Sweeney (Sami) she was the show to me

Best Male James Scott (EJ) show is so poor without him on it anymore.

Most useless characters Rafe and Lucas what is the point of those two been on the show watching them is like watching paint dry

Finally best love scene EJ and Sami sex scene from 22 September so hot and sexy you could see how happy EJ was to be back with Sami when they made love it was so magic you see how much they both still loved each other.

Who or what is "DC"???? Washington DC voted Sami and EJ No. 1 for 2014????
Come on now, JS, don't you know Congress can't get anything else done in Washington so why not waste tax payer money on voting Sami and EJ the No.1 couple for 2014.

Seriously, though, I believe perhaps "DC" refers to Daytime Confidential. Either way it's purely opinion and doesn't mean a damn thing.

Worst couple EJ and Abby stupid storyline that actually tanked the show and main reason why we lost Days two most popular characters just look at the ratings now down every week compared to last year they drove the viewers away.
I can't believe I'm going to derail my own thread to address this nonsense. I can appreciate your disdain for Abigail and her story with EJ and your obvious love for all things EJ/Sami. However, that storyline was NOT the reason Alison Sweeney (Sami) and James Scott (EJ) left the show and it's certainly NOT the reason viewers are jumping ship. But I guess it's pointless to argue this fact.

And I am going to add to Sparkster's comment here.....This is a best and worst thread, not the opportunity to spam with gushing comments ABOUT ANY ONE COUPLE, nor to try and hi-jack this thread into another huge discussion on the merits or demerits of any one couple. ....POIROT!!!

Best wedding - Will & Sonny
Worst wedding - EJ & Sami
Poorest transition from proud Golden Circle member to typical "sleep with all the Salem men" Salem female....Abby Deveraux
Best dad...Lucas
Best consistent female hairdo.....Anne....tied with Marlena
Worst impression of a tantrum throwing 5 yr old...Melanie

Best most boring/dull female character is tie between Gabi/Paige/Jordan.
Best most boring/dull male character is tie between Ben/Rafe.
Best most annoying meddler is Maggie.
Best worst dressed character is Will with Sonny at close second.
Best worst looking set is Will and Sonny's apartment.
Most annoying thing the show does: The worshiping of all things Jonas clan.
Worst story line is JJ/Paige/Eve
Most wronged character is Maxine. Shows uses her character as mouthpiece to probe the chosen ones
Most over used set is the park.
Best story line is EJ's death and Sami finally being free.
Most likable female character is tie between Nicole and Adrienne
Most likable male character is tie between Lucas and Sonny with special honors going to Victor
Best recast is Chad
Best new character is Paul
Best couple is.........? Me and my cat
Worst couple: Pretty much everyone but Daniel and Jenifer take the cake

Best couple Sami and EJ DC just voted them No1 for 2014 no one was sexier than those two when they were together.

Worst female Abby boring character who no cares about anymore now she no longer in EJ and Sami's storyline she couldn't hold a handle to Sami she never be as popular as her.

Best Female Alison Sweeney (Sami) she was the show to me

Best Male James Scott (EJ) show is so poor without him on it anymore.

Most useless characters Rafe and Lucas what is the point of those two been on the show watching them is like watching paint dry

Finally best love scene EJ and Sami sex scene from 22 September so hot and sexy you could see how happy EJ was to be back with Sami when they made love it was so magic you see how much they both still loved each other.

This entire post screams "agenda".

Back