Sami Brady has left the building! Finally!

KathyLu

Reaction score
Website
www.heraldanewday.com
How do you feel about not being able to see EJ and Sami hog the screen as they have been doing for years? I'm so relieved to see them both gone, and will probably start watching again. At least, until EJ miraculously turns up alive and Sami's movie has made the rounds, and she blows back into town.

Hopefully, the show can get back to its original, ensemble format. That would be a real departure for DOOL from recent years.

I would like to see the ensemble format as well. As I just posted in another thread, these writers seem to only be able to write isolated storylines rather than write dynamic characters that can be part of multiple storylines. That is the difference between Days and other soaps. Watch any other soap and characters are interacting with one another plus they are in more than one storyline.

I think a recast EJ will show up in the not so distant future as well as a changed Samantha. Meaning I think she will find out the truth about the Clyde business and perhaps other misdeeds which will permanently break up this farce of a couple and allow Sami to go back to either Rafe or Lucas while allowing EJ to either be single or pursue Abigail again.

*laughs* I'm almost the exact opposite. Now that my couple are gone, I have little reason to watch Days. I almost adore Kristen [deleted spoiler info in non-spoiler forum...JS] I'm not invested in anyone remaining. If Chad was the old Chad; maybe. But I can't deal with maybes. I'm still reading daily recaps ... waiting. For what? Not sure. It's a habit- a LONG habit since I've watched Days since 1973.

Alison Sweeney's (Sami) Facebook farewell

Alison Sweeney shared a link.

3 hours ago
Dear Days fans,

Sigh. We’ve been through a lot together, haven’t we? As many of you may know, when I first found out I was auditioning for Days (in September of 1992), I flipped out!! It was quite literally a dream come true for me because I’d been a mildly obsessed Days of our Lives fan for several years. A die-hard Jack & Jennifer fan, I so desperately wanted Hope to not be dead in that vat of acid, I loved her sassy spunk and bad-boy lover.

I could go on and on… the point is, I’ve never forgotten what it felt like to tune in every day, anxious to find out what was going to happen to my favorite character. Yelling at my screen at Stefano, crying when Isabella died in John’s - wait, Roman’s (???) - arms, grinning ear-to-ear when Frankie & Eve sang Heart & Soul on the train. (why were they on a train??)

What I’m trying to say, is that I took that fan experience into every storyline I was involved with over the last two decades. I always felt the audience watching at home. It has always mattered to me to tell the story as best as I possibly could. Whether it was EJ and Sami,Lucas and Sami, Sami and Rafe, Kate and Sami or Sami and Nicole, or somewhere in between, whether I personally liked the story or not, I did my best to keep Sami true to herself, and played every scene as honestly as I could. I look back through all of it, and am proud of what I accomplished. Proud of the memories, the hard work and the fun times. I’m proud of who I’ve become as a result of my 21 years in Salem.

No question - I am teamSami. I have always rooted for her… to finally stop putting her foot in her mouth, being her own worst enemy, eternally needing her parents approval, oh, this list could go on and on. It’s impossible to miss Sami’s faults. But I loved her more for them. And I loved playing her faults and her character flaws as much I loved playing the scenes when she persevered!

And now it’s been only 5 months since I’ve stopped getting scripts in the mail, and I MISS HER. I miss Sami, her insecurities and her agendas. I miss my friends in the cast and crew who are as close as family to me. And now that you’ve shared with my Sami’s final goodbyes, I will miss all of you. Your compliments and your criticisms. Those of you who loved sami, loved to hate her, and even those of you who couldn’t wait to get Sami off your screens (though, those people probably aren’t reading my FB page, I guess. lol.)

I hope you all keep up with me at Biggest Loser, and the other projects I work on. I look forward to staying in touch with all of you here and on Twitter. I’m still going to be around okay?! so this isn’t really goodbye.

At least it isn’t goodbye for me. This is just my opportunity to say a great big, sincere, tearful, THANK YOU. For everything. Every cheer, every tear, every tweet, post and letter. Thank you for investing in me and my character.

LOVE,
Ali

I'm excited for a life in Salem that isn't centered around Sami and EJ and their barfy "love story". I used to love Sami, she was my favorite character from the day she and Eric were born. But the "grief boink" ruined her for me and I'm thrilled to see her go.

I didn't watch....but when my clock struck 2:00pm I let out a sigh and said "it's over, finally!" I was a faithful viewer from 1965-2011, but with the "grief boink" that ended, I have lost all respect for the show, the way they handled SLs, characters, history, everything. I don't know that I will become a viewer again.

I am so glad she's gone. Finally ! :clap: I never was a fan. I always thought this character was a horrible one. A true villain, but one that I did not love to hate. I just hated her character. Anyway, the goodbyes took forever, in my opinion. :rolleyes: Thanks to the FF button, I got through them ! I realize this was done as a goodbye to the actress herself, but one has to wonder about how the other actors feel about the obvious favoritism. At least, I would get frustrated, I'm sorry. Not that I wish bad things to people, mind you. I'm just in favor of justice, that's all. And this was definitely too much.

Alas, I'm afraid that now, the focus will shift on EJ and Sami's stand-ins : Jennifer and Daniel. :sick: I wish it was not the case, but seeing as Daniel is on so much, I'm thinking he's the new golden boy (it's his turn to have grief sex, after all). At least, in the eyes and minds of the idiot writers. :rolleyes: And they will try to sell me Jen Jen and Dan Dan as this great couple who will overcome obstacles to finally be together. :sick:

I didn't really care if she stayed or left, but I am REALLY glad that maybe there won't be so many "grief boink" comments etc.:beat::beat: Who will everyone hate next? I have a feeling it might be Theresa. She already has a pretty good start as far as I'm concerned. I guess every soap opera has to have characters fans love and some they hate, but I sure hope DOOL gets a bit more interesting in the future.

I am guessing that any characters who were constantly placed in big story, into everyone else's story or lives, would not be all that well received/liked by many viewers. Everyone has those they may like, those they tolerate, those they don't feel one way or the other about. But, there will be resentment when concentration is centered on one or two individuals, while everyone else is background filler.
I do hope that the front view stories will be spread around now among the other characters, and we will get to see them more than once a week. :)

Let's get back to a big ensemble. More storylines! More diversity! Let's get Hope and Aiden on the front burner. Let's give Daniel and Jennifer a rest for a little while. We need a good mysterious *thing*, but I'm not sure Clyde|Jordan|Ben are that thing. Here's to a truly new era on Days - come on, when was the last time Days said goodbye to a major character like this? Maybe Jack dying in the elevator? Maybe Steve's burial? It's been a long time....

I cannot recall a single major Days character who was given the kind of "goodbye" scenes, flashbacks, etc, that Sami Brady has had. Not Jack, not Steve, not Lexie, not Bo... all of whom were characters on the show for years.
Peter Reckell said he was leaving, gave them plenty of notice, and all he got was a walk out the door with a wink and a smile.
The thing is, they all are making such a big deal out of "it's only six months".
So what happens. Sami sends word she is staying there permanently? I mean she takes that last look around the room, which would be unnecessary if she was returning in 6 mos.

But I am soooo glad that Lucas was around as much as he was for this. Gosh, he looks so FABulously handsome. LOL

Poirot, those are the thoughts that kept going through my mind too. Why does one character who is leaving town for 6 months get a send-off that leads one to think they all believe they will never see her again. Makes no sense.

We have often complained about the lack of acknowledgement of characters like Don Craig leaving, or the one-day nod of good bye to maybe Melanie, Shawn/Belle, etc. But this is waaaaaay overboard on the other extreme. I find I am resenting the inequality.

I, too, will be glad that the "hate boink"/"grief boink" comments should decrease dramatically! I would like to think that another couple, or even single character, won't become the focus of such overwhelming, negative commentary, but I think I know better. :) I suppose you can't have the good without the bad, or life would be unbalanced.

Sami was never my favorite, and the character had a lot of screen time, but I'm sorry to see her go. EJ, too. It will be interesting to see where Days takes us now! Hopefully today's show isn't an indication of "more of the same"... sigh.

In the past, Days has lost characters who were a big part of the show for a long time, and survived. I am thinking of Tom, Alice, in particular, Mickey Horton, Bo Brady. And others as well.
Don't know what stories these writers will decide to tell, or if they will finally give the other characters a chance at story & involvement, do some umbrella stories, or if they will choose someone else to put front and center. Time will tell.

Back