SOAPNET to cease broadcasting

Discussion in 'The Front Page' started by Poirot, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Poirot Administrator

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    The last time it was announced that Soapnet would be replaced by Disney, Jr. ....it seems Disney (who owns Soapnet, and ABC) decided to put Disney Jr. on it's own channel, and save Soapnet.
    Daysdegrassi, Soaphead, katmouse and 1 other person appreciate this.
  2. Old Cowgirl Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Like some others, I sometimes watch Days on Soapnet when there are interruptions on the regular channel. Other times I watch it on Soapnet when my electricity went down or for some other reason it did not get recorded for me to watch later as usual. It is disappointing for me because I simply won't watch online. If I want to watch tv, I want to watch it on a television, not a computer. It just doesn't seem the same and is not important enough to me for me to watch it online.
    Daysdegrassi, missharleyquinn and katmouse appreciate this.
  3. Poirot Administrator

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    I really don't like watching on a computer either. I want my TV on my TV. LOL
  4. katmouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    me too
    Daysdegrassi, Old Cowgirl and Soaphead appreciate this.
  5. tabbycat46 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Barb, I agree with you that SOAPNET losing The Young and the Restless to TV Guide Network hurt SoapNet. I just hope that TV Guide Network picks up Days as well as The Young and the Restless. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. As for General Hospital, who knows maybe another network will pick them up as well. I'm just going to miss watching the classic One Life to Live episodes since those shows will be gone completely from TV.
    Daysdegrassi and sunny2188 appreciate this.
  6. EJFan48 Member

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    I read it elsewhere too..
    But my cable doesnt know anything about it..
    katmouse and Daysdegrassi appreciate this.
  7. Poirot Administrator

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Supposedly, various cable systems have slowly been replacing Soapnet with something else, some here said Disney, Jr. I know there was a great deal of consternation when it was originally announced that Disney was going to put this kiddy show on instead on Soapnet. I think maybe they then decided to do it very slowly.

And if TV Guide channel doesn't pick up the other two soaps....well, maybe another cable channel will. Heck Oprah's OWN channel has been struggling for a while now, and were contacted about running cancelled soaps...Guiding Light, All My Children, Another World, One Live to Live, etc. She was not interested in any of that.
    But who knows what is going to happen now. Maybe the soaps will all end up (perhaps) on various different cable channels. Bravo. Lifetime. WE. LOL
  8. Just Samantha Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Sort of off-topic, but tonight on the news, they reported that All My Children and One Life To Live will not be getting second seasons (via the online venue); they've both been cancelled, again.
  9. bambi Member

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    I have direct tv and back then I paid for a package that included soap net, now it will be gone and I am still paying. When weather or interrupting news ,my back up was soap net.Darn!!!!

edited to fix quote...JS
    katmouse, Daysdegrassi and Poirot appreciate this.
  10. Poirot Administrator

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Exactly the same for me, Bambi. I am going to have to check that "pkg" upgrade when Soapnet goes off, because I only took it for Soapnet.
  11. tabbycat46 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Barb, actually Oprah Winfrey's network did air Prospect Park's online versions of All My Children and One Life to Live during this past summer. She just doesn't want to PRODUCE any of the cancelled shows. Unfortunately, for the fans of those shows, Prospect Park's efforts failed again and they were cancelled for a SECOND time. :(
    Daysdegrassi appreciates this.
  12. Poirot Administrator

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Prospect Park is suing ABC, though now, for several million. I did not read the entire article, as I don't watch any of those soaps, either on ABC or online. It was something about changing things as they went along. ????

As far as Oprah goes, there is no producing in showing reruns of shows that already have aired.
    JasonDíSpeech and Daysdegrassi appreciate this.
  13. tabbycat46 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Prospect Park is suing ABC for $95 or $125 million. Prospect Park claims that General Hospital/ABC didn't consult them about storyline material for 3 characters that cross-overed from One Life to Live to General Hospital. From what I've read it is really complicated/messy.
  14. diana mccolpin New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    I just read on the web the same information you have about soapnet. When it does go off(soapnet) will it still be on Nbc or local channels?

edited to fix quote...JS
  15. Just Samantha Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Yes, Days will continue to air on NBC channels; that will not change
  16. Poirot Administrator

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    The Soapnet channel is due to leave the air during December. By the 31st, there will no longer be a SoapNet channel.
  17. diana mccolpin New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    Directv has a channel called 262-1 info: says "on 12/31/ soapnet will cease broadcasting.
    katmouse appreciates this.
  18. guilty pleasure Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:

I understand that, too! Computer is at least a way to watch when you preferred options are exhausted, but many new DVD players connect to the internet. They are fairly inexpensive, though if you don't need a new DVD player, it could be a frivolous purchase. But that way you can watch stuff from the internet on your TV - problem solved! Haha... there is a way to do just about anything these days! :)
  19. Poirot Administrator

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    LOL, I got a DVD player a couple years ago as a gift. Took several months for it to get hooked up, I have a lot of DVD movies, and have never watched a single one on the players. Have no idea why, just haven't.

Last night I saw that in their on air guide, Direct TV is advising that SoapNet will cease broadcasting on 12/31.
  20. sway Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Thanks Received:
    I am saddened to hear of the demise of SOAPNET. I used it a lot when regular daytime airing of DAYS was being preempt for news and such.
    katmouse appreciates this.