Sony Email leaks regarding DAYS

cryin4days

Reaction score
I've been reading the emails that were released during the Sony hack that relate to DAYS. It's a miracle Sony was able to pull off that 2 year renewal because DAYS was on the verge of being replaced with a talk show. Other emails show some execs referring to a DAYS book as dumb when talking about costs; a source saying Ali Sweeney (Sami), James Scott (EJ), Gary Tomlin, and Bruce Evans were thinking of creating a primetime show for Sweeney and Scott, and an actor on set was being inappropriate with a co-stars daughter.

Links to some the emails can be found in the Social Media thread of DayTime Royalty starting around page 19. http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/9232373/19/

Here are links to 2 of the emails.

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/38 - this one is about the book

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/12959 - this is the one about Alison Sweeney & James Scott.

Daytime Confidential also did an article about the email discussing DAYS being replaced by a talk show. Here's the link. http://daytimeconfidential.com/2015/04/17/nbcs-broadcast-chairman-wants-to-cut-days-of-our-lives

I wouldn't be surprised if Days went off the air in 2016. It's not that the show isn't good (from time to time), it's just that the era of the soap opera is over, don't you think? Primetime dramas seem to have taken over the soap opera feel, and there are other shows doing serialized storylines in a much better fashion.

I think the thing that really put the nails in the coffin for Days was the severe budget cuts. Due to the budget cuts, they slowly evolved to the 6-month lead on taping, which is nearly impossible to fix at this point.

The ABC & CBS soaps have bigger budgets, plus they're only 4-6 weeks ahead in taping. They can fix problems as they see them happening, or jump on something that has grabbed the attention of the audience and take it in a new direction. Imagine if Days had been able to jump on the explosion of interest in EJ and Abby's affair? Instead, it was well over and on to new storylines by the time we saw the scenes.

At the rate they've decided to use to "save" money, they would be an entire year ahead before we know it! If this isn't the most ridiculous decision for a show to make I don't know what is. No show in its right mind would allow this to happen...which tells us all about this show. This is what is known as the cost-effectiveness of any business. (NOT) EXCEPT THEY'RE DEAD WRONG!

Did they really? I just remember the photo one, as they promo'd that one at every fan event, plus talk shows, etc. Actually, I don't really watch talk shows, just happen to catch 5 minutes or so at times.

Oh, I heard of the healthy living book. I know it did not interest me in the least, maybe that is why I did not pay much attention. I just did not think it was specifically touted at special "just to sell the book" appearances.

I'm sure it was the Healthy Living book given the timing of the emails. They did mega PR for that with the actors and a huge social media push too. They also did a book tour with actors doing signings.

So, Alison Sweeney (Sami) and James Scott (EJ) wanted to leave because they were burned out, huh? Certainly not consistent with the reasons they gave the fans.

Thanks for sharing. Those were funny. You have to wonder if the folks over at Sony (or any large corporation who might be susceptible to hacking) would be a bit more careful from now on with their professionalism when sending emails. I mean, it's one thing if you're in a meeting or just sitting in someone's office chatting and you make disparaging comments like "dumb book" but to put that in an email? Not too swift.

I'm laughing my rear off at the idea about EJ and Sami (or at least the actors) getting a primetime show and Gary Tomlin being involved. :rotfl:Thanks, I really really needed that laugh today!

One of those emails (I was too lazy to go back and find the link) talks of how NBC is giving Sony almost $800K per episode for DAYS (couldn't remember if the actual amount was $725K or $750K) and that's why Sony locked up the 2 year deal in 2013 to get them through the 50th. That was smart of them because if they had to renegotiate a renewal this year given current ratings (the 18-49 demo tied low for 4th consecutive week) chances are pretty slim they would've gotten a renewal especially since one of the emails talks of how a specific NBC exec wants to axe DAYS for another talk show (his name is Ted something...it's in that Daytime Royalty thread). Unless there's a drastic turnaround with the new writers, more and more I'm starting to believe DAYS will end next year.

And Sparks, I completely agree with you about the hilarity of a primetime show with Ali Sweeney (Sami) and James Scott (EJ). Seems Sony bought into those fans who proclaimed all over social media that these two would light primetime on fire. :rotfl:

Back