The first Days wedding info - Episode # 88

Jason47

Reaction score
In honor of the 51st anniversary, here's the complete info on the first wedding in Days history. Info available for the first time online!

Episode #88, March 11, 1966, the first Days wedding. Craig Merritt and Marie Horton.

14925251_816245285184414_6374917516979187978_n.jpg

15016333_816245318517744_2689659101900252366_o.jpg

Early in the episode, there's a discussion about Tom & Alice's honeymoon!

Mickey: Say, Mom, where did you spend your honeymoon?

Alice: Well, your father and I had one whole day on a ferry boat.

Mickey: One day on a ferryboat?

Alice: Mm-hmm. Well, that's all the time he had off from work at the hospital.

Mickey: Mom, I think you got cheated.

Alice (smiling): Oh, never. It was perfect. All 24 hours of it.

[Tom enters down the stairs]

Tom: Whose honeymoon was perfect?

Alice: Ours.

Mickey: Don't you remember, Dad?

Tom: Of course I remember.

Wedding scenes info

Int. church:

[Tom, Alice and Mickey are seated in a pew.]

Minister: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here before the eyes of God, and this congregation, to join this man and this woman in holy wedlock. Will thou Craig take Marie, here present, for thy lawful wife?

Craig: I will.

Minister: Will thou Marie take Craig, here present, for thy lawful husband?

Marie: I will.

Minister: Take the bride's right hand in yours and repeat after me.

[Craig takes Marie's right hand]

Minister: I, Craig, take thee Marie to be my wedded wife.

Craig: I, Craig, take thee Marie to be my wedded wife.

Minister: To have and to hold, from this day forward. For better, for worse.

Craig: To have and to hold, from this day forward. For better, for worse.

Minister: For richer, for poorer. In sickness and in health.

Craig: For richer, for poorer. In sickness and in health.

Minister: 'Til death do us part.

Craig: 'Til death do us part.

Minister: And there to, I plight thee my troth.

Craig: And there to, I plight thee my troth

Minister: Marie, repeat after me. I, Marie, take thee Craig to be my wedded husband.

Marie: I, Marie, take thee Craig to be my wedded husband.

Minister: To have and to hold, from this day forward. For better, for worse.

Marie: To have and to hold, from this day forward. For better, for worse.

Minister: For richer, for poorer. In sickness and in health.

Marie: For richer, for poorer. In sickness and in health.

Minister: 'Til death do us part.

Marie: 'Til death do us part.

Minister: And there to, I plight thee my troth.

Marie: And there to, I plight thee my troth.

Minister: May I have the ring, please?

[Mickey stands up and hands ring to minister]

Minister: Place the ring on the left hand, third finger of Marie, and repeat after me. With this ring, I thee wed, and with all my worldly goods, I thee endow.

[Craig places ring on Marie's finger]

Craig: With this ring, I thee wed, and with all my worldly goods, I thee endow.

Minister: If there be any present to say why this man and this woman should not be joined in holy matrimony, let him now speak or forever hold his peace.

[Scene picks up later]

Minister: By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you man and wife. Whom God hath joined together, let no man put asunder. Let us pray. We beg of thee, oh Lord, turn thine eyes toward thee thy service. Let thy goodness show through them thine own design for the growth and number of the human race. They have been joined together by thy authority. May they be kept together by thy health. Amen. You may kiss the bride.

Per Beth's Days of Our Lives Page:

As her condition continued to improve, Marie and Craig became very good friends. One night, while taking a walk in the park, Craig proposed marriage to Marie. He had fallen in love with her during the past two months. Though he knew she didn't love him, he firmly believed that she could grow to love him. Convinced that Craig could, in fact, make her happy, Marie accepted. The family was not exactly thrilled at the thought of Marie and Craig marrying (Alice was "appalled"), but they ultimately approved of the nuptials. Only a week later, Craig and Marie married in a simple, private ceremony witnessed only by Tom, Alice, Mickey, and Julie. They then left on a soothing honeymoon in Nassau, Bahamas. The honeymoon was cut short, however, when Craig received an urgent phone call and needed to leave. Unbeknownst to her, Craig had just been told that Tony was ill.

Once back in Salem, Marie settled into married life. What Tony had done to her was but a distant memory. Precisely during this time, Tony returned to live in Salem, but did his best to avoid Marie. Meanwhile, she discovered that she was pregnant. Not long after, however, Marie fell ill and was taken to the hospital. Upon examination, she was found to have a uterine infection; soon after this, she miscarried. Marie was distraught by the loss of the baby and was once again inconsolable. This time, it was Tony who came to her rescue. While Tony was with her, he admitted that he had never stopped loving her and finally explained why he had canceled their wedding: he had been diagnosed with a blood disease. Wanting to spare her the pain of watching him die, he had pushed her away. He had almost told her several times but something had always stopped him, and when she married his father he felt it would be useless to tell her. Knowing the truth changed Marie's entire perspective, and all feelings of love for Tony flooded back to her. Seeing that Marie and Tony were still love, Craig gracefully bowed out. He took a job overseas. Before leaving, he left Marie a memento -- a watch with an inscription telling her that he would always love her. Tony and Marie tried to work on their relationship, but even though they still had feelings for one another, they'd both grown apart. Unable to make this new relationship work, Tony also left Salem soon after.

Here's Marie's history:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070407033702/http://www.bethsdayspage.com/days/characters/Marie.html

Back