The Women of Salem

KathyLu

Reaction score
Website
www.heraldanewday.com
We have discussed over the years how many of the women of Salem are written as weak, damsels-in-distress types. I've been thinking of all the posts I have seen where people are wondering where Marlena is. It's as if they stopped writing for her after Drake Hogestyn's (John) injury and subsequent absence from the show. I was wondering yesterday if Marlena's role will be beefed up when/if the actor returns.

I just saw the following in another thread, and it seems to validate my thoughts on the subject.

Where are our strong, independent, "don't need no man" women? Even Kate was reduced to a sniveling idiot while she was going through Eddie's gifts.

Blech!

Marlena came to Salem as a strong woman and has gone downhill in recent years. It's not as if she's a senile, helpless, old woman. Marlena should have been a huge part of the goings-on in Salem, even without John.

What are your thoughts?

As to Marlena.......let's remember that scripts are done sometimes a year in advance of when we see them, months before they are filmed. When Drake Hogestyn (John) was injured, and out for so long, there had to be a huge amount of rewrites in scripts already written, as the character had to be written out. At first, his absence was not explained, but then came the extremely LAME thing about being in New Orleans as his mother was ill or died or something just as insulting as the story of his "real" parents.

Thus, all scenes with Marlena also had to be deleted (from scripts not yet filmed) & thus, no place to "put" her, which was why she only popped up here and there, once in a while, obviously scenes hastily written to be shoved into whatever was going on.

She could have been having sessions with Chad over his "torn between 2 lovers" problem, even on the phone with Belle, talking especially with Claire.

Of late, I wish I knew why, but Dena Higley has never written this badly, and it is making me wonder if she is doing this on purpose? (She mostly lives in Florida now, so had to return to CA, maybe not all that happy being away from family). It just seems that all the characters have been dealt lousy hands, have been turned into mush, and ones who should have been out in front & center aren't, stories drag, or are written as if to be purposely hated. Maybe the writer wanted to leave, but the only way would be to get fired????

I don't think either Maggie Or Jen have lost their strengths, but yes, most of the women are no longer ones to be admired. Wrong decisions, wrong occupations. Drifting from one kind of job to completely unrelated job category. Even Nicole, who has always been a strong woman, able to support herself, defend herself, all alone, has crumbled into powder, needing male support, help, unable to fend off trouble.

Maybe writers feel that there is no story unless the women need to be rescued, helped whether they look for it or not. actually, right now, Chloe seems to have to stand alone, but she, too, was left plenty of support money from Daniel, managed to get Eddie on her side to help look for Nicole, but he is gone, and she is a pariah, right? (I think she wants Holly only because Daniel is father) This "good mother" lets her son be with grandparents for months now, not her. That boy should have been brought back, or she should get him. ....nope.

It seems like the entire show has turned to mush. The bright spots for me are the good acting of Billy Flynn (Chad Dimera) and seeing Patch and Kayla on my tv screen despite the lousy writing and story lines.

Having Abby come back as a weak sniveling woman was off the mark for me. She should've come back stronger than ever after her stint with Grandma Laura. Then fought hard to get her life and family back.

Even though Kate was shown as being a huge support for Adrienne, she is mostly reduced to trying to push Chad and Gabi together. What happened to the cold calculating Kate who engineered things behind everyone's back?

Not to mention the incredible story that Adrienne was given. Breast cancer, surgery, reconstructive surgery, chemo, radiation, torn between two lovers. A powerful, amazing, wonderful, award-winning performance. Great acting all around.

What, you don't remember it??

Neither do I. I saw 2 minutes this week; 4 minutes 3 weeks later; 90 seconds 2 weeks after that.

So a great story destroyed by crummy editing.

Yep, robinsnest. That could've been a very powerful story that could've helped a lot of women. Days dropped the ball. It was mostly seen as the two guys fighting over who could be there for Adrienne the most.

I've know women who have gone through this, and one is having a double mastectomy next week. They thought the storyline was stupid except for the very few times when Adrienne expressed her fears to Kate.

no place to "put" her,
That's my point. TPTB should have found a place to put this veteran actress instead of making it seem like she couldn't function without John.

([Dena Higley - writer] mostly lives in Florida now, so had to return to CA, maybe not all that happy being away from family).
In this day and age, TPTB shouldn't even have to see the writers in person if they don't want to. She can be (and has been) replaced. :)

[Adrienne's cancer] could've been a very powerful story that could've helped a lot of women.
Yet, once again, (as with Kate) this story was glossed over. I think they only wrote Adrienne with cancer in order to delay her relationship with Lucas so they could prop another eternal triangle with Justin.

It has always irked me that many of the Salem women can't even boil water without burning it.

Bo Brady's white stallion was probably put out to pasture when he died, yet we still have women who have to be saved and protected.

Betty Friedan ( activist for the women's movement) would probably turn over in her grave if she had to deal with Salem's women.

Last edited:
Yes, and not just Marlena. Starting in 2011? they wrote Jennifer as a critical, judgmental and angry woman who trotted after DrDanTan like a panting animal! Maggie was written weak, snively over her "egg" son and to this day whines when she remembers him. Adrienne can't make up her mind which man she wants in her life and cycles. Kate is definiitely a weak gossip who is bitter as she ages. And these were written with a woman as head writer?!?!:huh:

Back