This is Us (may contain spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll have to buy extra tissues. cry tissue.gif

That clip was done by the cast last october, as a sort of joke thing, but seems to be have popped up again because of last week's episode that focused on the death of William.

LOL, isn't it Kevin who refers to those who watch having to double their purchases of tissues? :)

My knee jerk reaction to the Justin Hartley (Kevin) interview was "oh please don't let Jack die by suicide".

I said last week "I hope Jack doesn't die from drinking and driving". Based on the preview for next week, I'm worried I will be right. I've never wanted to be wrong before. And Kate is claiming it's her fault. What an awful way to feel. My heart is broken and I haven't even seen the episode yet lol. Gonna have to buy more tissues before Tuesday.

Another good show this past week with everyone.

I enjoyed the talk Randall had with his mom when everyone went out
wearing hats.

Great cliffhanger with Jack driving off into the night going to talk to
his wife.

Kate probably feels it is her fault because she urged her dad to make things right with mom. But..........we will see.

This week is supposedly the season finale' ....I do hope they tell us at last about Jack's death. The actors are all very careful in their interviews. Going to be interesting next season to learn how Miguel eventually got to be married to the widow.

Agree 100%. I think there was one more episode to "end the season", and the show instead decided to end with this one, leave us hanging. But it definitely was very disappointing.

It was nice to see young Jack, his earlier life, parents, and how he met Rebecca, but going to be interesting to see what the actors/show has to say about the non-reveal of how Jack died.

While I agree that I was disappointed they didn't get to Jack's death, I didn't think the episode was boring. I loved Jack's words to Rebecca at the end. I loved Randall look back at photos, realized he was blessed to be adopted, and decide he wants to adopt as well. I can't wait for next season!

My thought as well, JS. If not all the references in various interviews to Jack's death, it WAS disappointing that it was not mentioned at all.

I am guessing it has to occur around that time period, since the kids are teens. Heck, I still want to know if young Jack is able to get the money back. LOL

The actors have been saying there'd would be no reveal this season regarding Jack's death. Every good show leaves you wanting more. The show is about the best writing I have seen (next to Blue Bloods and NCIS) in a long time.

Lately I have seen people bashing Rebecca and her choices. People would like her gone. Good writing has protagonists (that resonate even though flawed) and antagonists (who aren't all bad). When you look at life, there are high and lows. People morph or change. We all have regrets. You shouldn't grow old and regret the things you didn't do but some of the things you did do.

The title is This Is Us and to me that means warts and all. We keep tuning in because we care about this family, like we care about Days. We don't really want all the packages tied up in a bow every season.They left us wanting more. It probably won't be settled the first episode next season and that's ok too. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Well, all the reviews I have read (newspapers, mags) have expressed the same disappointment in not learning how/why Jack died. The creator (Dan Fogelman) claims this episode was planned out to be this way from when 1st episode was written. The reviewers also expected the same as the regular viewing audience.

We seem to be hooked on & entranced the way we were with Downton Abbey..:)

The creator says This is Us is life as we all know it. Happiness, wrong decisions, heartaches, upsets, joys, love, misery, etc. Yes, it is all that, for sure.

Just wish we all were not led to believe we were going to get something that we never were going to get. Heck, we all would have still watched, loved, and moaned about having to wait til Sept. :love::rolleyes:

I just saw the episode. I enjoyed it. I was expecting to see something else, but I
enjoyed how Jack and Rebecca met. And while Jack was talking, we saw his
children make decisions about their life. Even though we didn't see how Jack
died, it was still an emotional episode to me.

Oh, I agree. twas a good episode. Am only noting that something that was indicated to happen on the last show of the season, did not occur. Maybe would have enjoyed the show even more than I did, if I wasn't expecting "something" in the next scene, or the scene after that.

I really liked learning Jack had been to VietNam, which had to affect him in some ways we have not seen yet. I liked finding how Jack changed his attitude so as not to be like his dad. (I think there is more to that part of his life than we have seen so far)

The show is picked up for 2 more seasons. I don't know how long a "season" is supposed to be. Just thru the fall.........then a new season after New Years"s? Or does"after New years"s constitute a continuation of a season?

You know, to be fair, it seems to me that "we", the viewers, were the ones predicting the finale to be about how Jack died. All the articles I read had the interviewer bringing it up, wondering if that's what we'd see in the last episode. The viewers seem so attached to and concerned about Jack. We know from the funeral flash that the kids are around their teen years. We see that Jack is drinking again and things are kind of coming to a head.

It does point to something that we want to know, yet can't yet see. While it may be disappointing to have to wait for our answers, it is actually refreshing (to me, anyway) to (1) see more of the story with Jack in it and (2) feel sure that I know what's coming and be surprised that it wasn't predictable!

And furthermore, some of you make it sound as if you are disappointed that Jack didn't die. For shame! I want to keep Jack alive for as long as possible! Even though he's already dead. LOL Of course I'm just teasing about shaming you fine folks!

While I don't like how the season ended, I did like that it shows a fairly realistic couple. I found myself thinking, earlier in the season, wow - I'm getting caught up in this relationship as if it were possible. Can't allow that because it sets up (for me) unrealistic expectations and ultimately anger and sadness when my husband fails to meet those unrealistic expectations.

But then, as the story progressed, you see flaws here and there, culminating in a huge blow up and Jack staying with Miguel for a few days. It is nice to see that they have up and downs - big ones! - and I am very much looking forward to seeing them work things out prior to witnessing Jack's demise.

*Sigh* I really don't want to witness it. Even though we've already seen some of the aftermath. LOL

I'm surprised they wrapped up the season in March instead of May. They only did 18 episodes instead of the usual 22-24 that many series do.

This is what frustrated me. They ordered just 18 episodes vs. the normal 22 or 24. And they just ordered 18 for the next two. Maybe they are trying to stretch it out longer season wise

Once upon a time, a "season" was 36 or 40 weeks. Summers were reruns, and the new season began in the fall. Yep, they began lopping off weeks, starting later (oct/Nov) ending earlier (May) going to 30, 25, 20....and now 18. There are so many shows now one cannot keep up. Some have a "season" of just 6 or 8 weeks!

So, just am guessing here, but am thinking we won't see This Is Us back til late Oct.

Many series do the same thing, which is why it is hard to keep up, know what is on. As someone noted, I guess actors are definitely told what NOT to say in interviews, probably coached on how to get around leading or insistent questions, lol. Same as on Days.

And now.....it is getting overloaded, with new shows/series on cable stations, and "streaming", whatever that is. Plus however folks get to view Netflix or Hulu. (Sorry, no idea, just see it mentioned all the time. :) )

I was somewhat let down by the last show of the season but was pleased that it peeled back a few more layers of the characters. I now know why the moon necklace Jack gave Rebecca is so important. You know at the beginning of the season the Pearsons seemed a lot like most people idea of the perfect couple but bit by bit we see they are just like most of us.

Life is not always pretty but beauty come from how we handle the ugly life hands us. One thing I have been wondering about is this, the child actors are gonna grow up so how long is the show mapped out and have they already filmed scenes with these actors? If the show runs many seasons will they just go to a different time frame in the Pearsons life with these child actors. Or I guess in short what will the show do when the child actors grow up?

I think JS is right......because the cast knows all about how Jack died already, so it would seem they already have filmed some story. I think they film "story", then edit it into./along with present day, so thus they can go back and forth in time in one show, where as those show may have been filmed over a 3-4 week period. Meaning the present day, past day, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back