Time to say goodbye

Moira

Reaction score
Doesn't it seem like that when anyone leaves the show - say within the last couple of years - the actual end is less than thrilling. We don't see a lot of funerals for people who actually are killed off. If they were front burners chewing up scenery like Eve, they sort of stop showing up in the scripts and become Stepford type characters.

Then they just aren't in the show anymore. It's weird. There does not seem to be a conclusion.

Andre was there then he wasn't.
Paul was there - brainwashed somewhat and then dropped
Shawn was brought back and then not used.

I don't know where these people earned their degrees in screenwriting but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. The writing just doesn't connect. It isn't cohesive in the least. It seems they have given everything to Abby who has done a phenomenal job. But Eric, it was just Saint and then Sinner. No gradual spiral. Put him with Jennifer just because she is addicted to pain meds. Does everyone addicted to pain meds have sex with someone with whom they have no history? They seem to only write one way and can only have one good story line going on at a time.

Ken Corday always comes out and tells us to hold on and buy in because the payoff is worth it. Not so much. People are fantastic and then they aren't. When they leave the show, they just fade and limp out the door.

Sad, very sad.

Moira, very well said. Not sure if the writing is actually that choppy or the editing. The last ratings I saw were 1.6, back to the lows before the 50th anniversary. Still makes no sense to me that Rafe and Nicole have never had a conversation about Daniel's death, nor have we seen Patch and Adrienne together.

And, speaking of Adrienne, where are Justin and Adrienne living now that Deimos has taken over the Kiriakis mansion? Have Doug and Julie faded into the woodwork at the B&B? Julie, at the very least, would have been to see Maggie. Kayla is in the hospital and no one has been to see her. Hope doesn't have screen time with Shawn or Claire. Many are leaving soon and Chloe, Aiden, Jack (or ghost of), Sonny, Clyde and Laura are returning. It's a revolving door in/out of Salem these days. The lack of continuity is disarming.

Still makes no sense to me that Rafe and Nicole have never had a conversation about Daniel's death, nor have we seen Patch and Adrienne together.

Steve and Adrienne did have a brief scene together at the police station before his court hearing. But I agree that most characters are being written as very isolated.

Several characters were brought back specifically because of the 50th anniversary. I do not think they were intended to have major stories, but was surprised about Shawn & Belle. And then, as Heather noted, there has been much editing, heavy editing.

So, we have vets returning, and we already know they are very short term, 3 or 4 episodes. No different than hiring a new person for a few episodes.

Days had some terrible writing, finally woke up, fired those headwriters, hired two new co-headwriters. They had a huge job...."fixing" some of the stories of the previous regime, and then writing in the big 50th...which Corday said, would take from Sept. to May.

It did go well up to the anniversary, maybe even Christmas (except the rapid SORAS of so many kids,) but then it began to falter. Since one of the headwriting team took a leave of absence, it is obvious the other (who proclaimed to be such a huge fan) is responsible for the addiction stories, for personality changes, etc. That writer is now gone, but we won't be seing the changes for a couple more months yet.

Yes, I do think Eric could have been given more air time/story for his departure. Andre' went to jail. I do not expect to constantly see him in a cell, muttering to himself. Usually, in the past, a character was put in a coma for a month or two. (Bo, Rafe, John all come to mind). So. this one went to jail. Eve had pretty good story before she left the show. At least she was not killed.But she could have at least "called" Theresa to say she decided to stay in NY, and would Jeannie T go and pack up her things, send them. At least we would have had closure of some kind on her and her departure.

but again, there has been heavy editing, very apparent.

I agree Moira where the heck did these screen writers get there degrees? A kiosk at the mall maybe? There basically turning a classic daytime soap opera almost into a episode of Law & Order SVU. In fact I say they should fire all the writers and hire people from Salem Spectator who would do much more of a better job writing and putting things on-screen that make more sense.

Since the screen writers aren't solely responsible. Where did the editors get their credentials? I can edit video tape better than this. They truly must believe we wouldn't notice. Oh and probably the fact that they don't care. People makes jokes about Patrick Duffy in the shower but it really isn't that bad an idea. Makes more sense than this crap. "Pardon my French:sarcasm:". Just cut out the dreary dialogue and have Caroline or someone "come to" in a hospital bed and asked what the heck happened. Someone can do a crazy run down, pretending to act out running here and there, and then saying and that is why...(pick up the story) . Caroline can look at them and tell them they are all crazy and they can just shrug and we move on. This is tedious, tedious and more tedious. Have a good laugh, call it a mulligan and get on with real soap drama. This is killing Days. :angry: (just my humble opinion)

But why are they again having to change the storyline? Change it from the mess they created in the last half a year or so. I don't think it's hodgepodge at times, I think that is more the norm currently. They have already shortened the time between taping and airing as much as they are going to haven't they?

Closing the gap in taping time/airing time is going to take a long while. They've managed to get it down from six months to five months. If they keep it up, they "could" eventually get down to 4-6 weeks ahead like the other soaps.

Right, but as they are already taping for September, I didn't think they were working on nor trying to get the gap any smaller currently?

Yes, I believe the goal is shorten up that gap. It's not like they got it down to being five months ahead and then said "we're done, it's all good". It's going to take a lot of time to get it down to a manageable gap.

Ok, my opinion on departures, Eric's was more than others. He had several conversations with family the night before. His night with Jen I could have done without, but the goodbyes in the office were good and him actually getting on the bus with others was very realistic and gave an "oh my, he is really going to prison"

For me the death of Will Horton was the final straw, because it was his character that brought me to watching Days. I believe Guy Wilson (Will) was fired. Some feel saddened by Bo's death, but I understand it was Peter Reckell's (Bo) decision to come back short term and close out the drama of Bo's absence. It seems that Days has gotten rid of some fine characters and actors like Eric and Eve for some new teen scene.

Last edited:
Back