Time to say goodbye

I have an idea. Break the fourth wall. That could work. Put in the stupid stuff they wrote and then when they want to slice and dice, someone steps out of character, winks and tells us a segue and jump ahead a week.

I think most of us would respect them indicating directly to us that it is a mess and they are working hard to fix it. Actions would speak volumes, not poor editing.

The thing is......whatever Days has had to do to cut corners, stay within their now meager budget is the fault of NBC, who is now wanting them to no longer cut those corners.

NBC was adamant about not renewing unles the show took a 1/3 reduction in what NBC was paying. So,Days finally agrees. And the following year, NBC insisted on another 1/3 decrease.

It is rather difficult to live on $10,000 a year, if you have been living on $30,0000.

So.....what we get now is constant turnover in writers, actors. Lots of recurring rather than contracts, and actors who are willing to do so, just to have a job.

Days actors have taken pay cuts, rehearsal were cut out, location shooting no longer an option.
The 5 week hiatus was in addition to the one week per month they take, they film 1 1/2 shows per day (I think they will be cutting that down) and of course, will put a set up, then shoot scenes from a few different shows in that set.

They no longer have people holding cue cards, they don't have a continuity person, they don't have the medical or legal experts on the set.and I could go on. Days is not the only show that suffered because of things like this.....heck, we are down to only 4 soaps on tv, with some new ones shown on internet somewhere. Those reach a much smaller audience of course, as too many people have no ability for decent video viewing, or the players just don't work for them.

Last edited:
deleted unnecessary quote - no need to quote the post that is directly above your own post - JS

I don't think the acting is necessarily suffering. We always have acting issues with younger actors who seem awkward. That is understandable because they are finding their way. I appreciate they are trying to cut corners and costs.

I hate to say it but it is hard to understand why they are continuing with the show. I have stuck with it over 40 years. But it is sad to see such a crumbling body of work in quick sand. There seems to be quite a bit of success in these shows that are on for a certain number of weeks and then on hiatus. Perhaps that is what could happen.

Days could be on alternating weeks, or for six weeks straight then go off and let NBC fill in another show. Yes we love our daily dose but it might work with a different approach from the broadcast stand point - still not losing the "serial" aspect. No one wants to grow old but somethings time can't fix. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Days has mostly fantastic actors, who know their characters, and can truly manage to turn bad writing/dialogue into something the viewers appreciate/love. As JasonD here put it, they so often are able to make great lemonade out of lemons that are already so sour and beginning to shrivel. LOL

I also think those same actors truly appreciate the so very loyal fans that Days attracts. Even actors on other soaps acknowledge that Days has the most avid/loyal fans of all the soaps.

The 50th anniversary stuff never worked for me. I was hoping for something that explored the history of the show in a deeper way, instead it was just a random jumble of poorly written mini-stories and random character appearances. The thing with the old mansion was an interesting idea, but never went anywhere. Bo coming back was played out as if on maximum fast forward. Returning characters that should have connected with regulars never really did. And who thought it was a brilliant idea to kill off multiple major characters for the 50th?

The necktie killer/Psycho Ben story was actually pretty interesting (and I've sorta followed what's been happening since I stopped watching the show) but the timing was all wrong. It never should have been thrown in the middle of the 50th stuff. Anniversaries are supposed to be about joyous celebration and tradition, not about exploring the psyche of a mass murderer.

Maybe in the fall things will get better.

The thing is......whatever Days has had to do to cut corners, stay within their now meager budget is the fault of NBC, who is now wanting them to no longer cut those corners.

NBC was adamant about not renewing unles the show took a 1/3 reduction in what NBC was paying. So,Days finally agrees. And the following year, NBC insisted on another 1/3 decrease.

It is rather difficult to live on $10,000 a year, if you have been living on $30,0000.

So.....what we get now is constant turnover in writers, actors. Lots of recurring rather than contracts, and actors who are willing to do so, just to have a job.

Days actors have taken pay cuts, rehearsal were cut out, location shooting no longer an option.
The 5 week hiatus was in addition to the one week per month they take, they film 1 1/2 shows per day (I think they will be cutting that down) and of course, will put a set up, then shoot scenes from a few different shows in that set.

They no longer have people holding cue cards, they don't have a continuity person, they don't have the medical or legal experts on the set.and I could go on. Days is not the only show that suffered because of things like this.....heck, we are down to only 4 soaps on tv, with some new ones shown on internet somewhere. Those reach a much smaller audience of course, as too many people have no ability for decent video viewing, or the players just don't work for them.
And probably why there is so much garbage is on TV.

From last August until year end I didn't fast forward a single scene. The old Days was back (not just becaue of the old characters but the stories that captured my interest). Then New Year's hit and it started down hill. I also have watched GH and two months ago started watching Y&R (now my favorite). In that time I have fast forwarded good portions of the show and some days I delete the show after the first few scenes. Right now the thing keeping me watching at all is Jack returning for a bit and Aiden (assuming it is him) to see how they take it. Also Sonny and maybe Will and Clyde returning not to mention the mystery one interests me. But we will see

In MY opinion.......the two new headwriters (Griffith & Higley) wrote That entire period together, concentrating on Steve's return & finding Bo, their escape home, Bo's death and the 50th anniversary. They also had to have a few other vets return, and some characters depart.

But, evidently, they no longer were :"on the same page", and Higley took a "leave of absence", which left Griffith writing alone, even though another writer was brought in to help co-headwrite.

He likes dark stories, heck even the lighting went dark, lol.

But there was just too much misery & mayhem, and he parted ways with Days. However, his storylines were filmed, we still are seeing them, but Days went dark, not for just a week, but 5 weeks, to shorten time between filming and airing, and ...yep, lots of editing as storyline direction is trying to be changed a bit.

Disconcerting to read an NBC recap of an episode, see pics of scenes, and they do not appear in what WE are seeing. Ha. But, Just another month or so should hopefully, get Days back on track.

In MY opinion.......the two new headwriters (Griffith & Higley) wrote That entire period together, concentrating on Steve's return & finding Bo, their escape home, Bo's death and the 50th anniversary. They also had to have a few other vets return, and some characters depart.

But, evidently, they no longer were :"on the same page", and Higley took a "leave of absence", which left Griffith writing alone, even though another writer was brought in to help co-headwrite.

He likes dark stories, heck even the lighting went dark, lol.

But there was just too much misery & mayhem, and he parted ways with Days. However, his storylines were filmed, we still are seeing them, but Days went dark, not for just a week, but 5 weeks, to shorten time between filming and airing, and ...yep, lots of editing as storyline direction is trying to be changed a bit.

Disconcerting to read an NBC recap of an episode, see pics of scenes, and they do not appear in what WE are seeing. Ha. But, Just another month or so should hopefully, get Days back on track.

I am going to wait and see but today was another show I deleted two segments into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
They were cutting scenes late last year as well. We know several Shawn scenes were cut in November. And remember how sloppy the ornament hanging was.

Just a random thought thrown in, but, Victor and young Ciara were close. Too bad they haven't shown Victor reacting or interacting with Ciara about Chase raping her. Grandpa Vic normally would have made sure Chase paid.
I hated that whole story. Why did the writers have to ruin Chase? He's been through so much and he finally gets a stable home with a family who claimed to love him then they do this.

Back