Weddings?????

DBF, does that vary by state? A couple in my church married several years ago, but the marriage license was not sent back to the courthouse by mistake. They were married a handful of years (5-6) before splitting up. When her lawyer was preparing the documents for the divorce, he found that the certificate had not been filed at the courthouse. After researching things, he said they weren't legally married and therefore, no divorce was needed. I actually just checked the Prothonotary's Office to be sure and no complaint in divorce was filed. She only ended up filing for child support.

The general rule is that a failure to file a marriage certificate doesn't nullify or invalidate a marriage. Since the celebrant is usually responsible for filing the certificate, it would make for rather poor policy to make the validity of a marriage where both parties publicly said "I do" dependent on a possibly forgetful priest, minister, rabbi, justice of the peace, etc. To comment further on your scenario, I'd have to know which state was involved.

Ok, ust saying, I liked Lucas and Adrienne's lunch proposal yesterday. It was a nice reminder that some people can do life without all the drama. They did talk about where each had been and what they wanted. Actually grown-up conversations.

I was actually thinking this is why Sonny comes back (to be at the wedding) after all he was married to Lucas' son and liked Lucas.

Also this is a prefect time for Will's ghost (since there have been NO ghosts appearing and giving counsel lately :sarcasm:) to talk to Sonny and tell him to move on with his life, so Sonny can hook-up with Paul again.

The general rule is that a failure to file a marriage certificate doesn't nullify or invalidate a marriage. Since the celebrant is usually responsible for filing the certificate, it would make for rather poor policy to make the validity of a marriage where both parties publicly said "I do" dependent on a possibly forgetful priest, minister, rabbi, justice of the peace, etc. To comment further on your scenario, I'd have to know which state was involved.

Mine was North Carolina

Back