SPOILER !! Week Oct 9

You guys really think Adrienne would go back to Lucas after what he said to Sonny (while drunk, I know, but still)?

Forgiveness - yes. Restoration? That takes time for Lucas to rebuild trust with those he hurt. Personal responsibility is a big factor in recovery.

Alcoholism is an illness.
Even though this is not the proper forum for a discussion on addiction, I respectfully disagree with the masses that alcoholism is a disease. It is a habit, just like smoking, drugs, etc. The only illness involved in alcoholism is the damage it does to the human body, and what an alcoholic's behavior does to those around him/her.

(Off my soapbox.)

PS: I do agree that Sonny will forgive Lucas for what he said.

Forgiveness - yes. Restoration? That takes time for Lucas to rebuild trust with those he hurt. Personal responsibility is a big factor in recovery.

I think once Lucas gets sober and make his amends, in time, not now, of course, doors will open up. Besides, Lucas is going to need his full attention and brain with Sami coming back into town anyway. I would take it that it would not be fun to be loaded around Sami. LOL!

I don't know about that, Eras. Maybe being loaded is the only way some people can deal with Sami. :)

Noel, we posted the same thing at the same time! I just mentioned to redsquirrel, in Today in Salem, that she and I must have ESP today because we did the same thing there. I guess Noel makes three. I feel like I'm in good company today. :)

KathyLu, there are people who agree with your alcohol/disease thoughts. But, I have read that disease theory provides better recovery results.

Noel, we posted the same thing at the same time! I just mentioned to redsquirrel, in Today in Salem, that she and I must have ESP today because we did the same thing there. I guess Noel makes three. I feel like I'm in good company today. :)

Yes, delighted to be in your and Squirrel's company! Great minds think alike. :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
al·co·hol·ism
ˈalkəhôˌlizəm/
noun
  1. an addiction to the consumption of alcoholic liquor or the mental illness and compulsive behavior resulting from alcohol dependency.

There are physical & mental side effects that alcohol & drugs cause which shows it is more than an addiction.
Yes it can be habitual or not but also very well also cause psychological diagnoses.

The definition of disease is below so it can be better understood that the effects caused to the body and mind by addiction has it very well falling under the definition of disease.

dis·ease
dəˈzēz/
noun
  1. a disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, especially one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physical injury.
Should Lucas be treated for his problem or just ignored until harm is done to the body or someone else, along with more to the mind or have people care and try to help as we often help to those unable to help themselves due to other physical & mental reasons?

Lucas needs to feel a reason to take the steps to get better. Right now he feels defeated and very alone.
I think things will show him strong again rather than an endless downward spiral and Bryan Ditallo (sp?) has been given wonderful scripts to work with.
Much better than Eric's mopey alcohol addiction.

Last edited by a moderator:
KathyLu, there are people who agree with your alcohol/disease thoughts. But, I have read that disease theory provides better recovery results.
I have hypothyroidism (causes weight gain), but I have never used that as an excuse for my having to watch my weight every day, all day. That can only be up to me. But, I guess if blaming one's addiction on a disease helps in the recovery, then that's a good thing. :)

There are physical side effects that alcohol & drugs cause which does it is more than as addiction.
It is caused by addiction; the result is the disease.

I have had seven major abdominal surgeries (and several breast surgeries that weren't major). I have had cancer three times. I did nothing to cause the cancer; it is a disease. Addicts CAUSE their original problem. There is a difference.

Yes, the addiction is what causes the disease I will agree with that. It becomes a disease when your physical body becomes dependent on alcohol just to be able to function like a normal person and go about your day. That's where it truly is hard to quit, and at that point a medical detox is usually necessary. Kind of like what was shown with Brady, Victor sent him overnight to what seemed to be a rehab detox to get back on his feet.

Well, we have gotten off track a bit, so ..........to return to the spoilers, who wants to take the bet that Sami shows up at the very end of Friday's show (just like Ben did at the weddings)

That's where it truly is hard to quit,
Eras, I have no doubt that this is true. Many years ago, I saw an alcoholic family member quit. He had to fight it for the rest of his life. I'm sure it's much easier to fall back into the bottle than to fight it every day. On that, I commend every recovering addict.

Well, we have gotten off track a bit, so
Barb, thanks for bearing with those of us who went off topic.

who wants to take the bet that Sami shows up at the very end of Friday's show
That's better than have her in the whole show. She will probably hog most of the scenes while she's there.

Back