SPOILER !! Week of July 18

Yes, I know the ad revenue is big bucks, but the ratings at different times of the day, are what would be telling, at least to me. Plus, a lot of the coverage is not of the events, but more a travelogue, as the reporters go various place, interviewing locals, discussing attractions, etc. I remember once, during winter Olympics, when I had my BIG dish, being so aggravated and turning to a Canadian sattelite, where they actually covered events, even smaller ones, plus all the contestants for it, not just the home grown ones. (I think it was the Luge, and was fun to watch. I usually only do the skating for winter) But I really do not watch during the day at all, so........with people at work, school is out, kids at camps, the pool, people working in gardens, shopping, perhaps canning/preserving the garden contents....are there really enough tuning in to warrant?

I've actually been sensing a return to Dena Higley's consistent ploy of having clueless Sami continually falling for EJ's deceit and lies, over and over again, as a way of keeping an ongoing Rafe/Sami/EJ triangle alive. It was hard enough to sit through when it was Sami, whose character was genuinely clueless in certain areas, but using that ploy with Hope is insulting to both the audience and the character.

I'll just have to wait and see once the Week of July 18th kicks in.
I read that Dena Higley's writing won't begin again until August.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe that at all. Her influence has been loud and clear the past month or so. They may not officially "start" until August but the new writing is already influencing stuff just as it did a year ago.

I would guess that story direction is being changed a bit by cutting scenes, even 2-3 second ones. The previous writing team is still listed in the credits as headwriters.....Griffith, Higley & Milstein. And perhaps this also is why the heavy use of flashbacks of conversations/dreams we just saw/heard either early in the show, or within the last day or two.

Thanks everyone, won't be able to watch for couple weeks. Not going to miss much.

Olympic coverage & ratings would also correspond with the location. London was 6-7 hours ahead of the Eastern Time zone, thus lots of stuff had to be taped during prime time. Rio is only 1 hour difference thus more live coverage. This could bring higher ratings.

Well, Rio is 2 hrs. ahead of Central, 4 hrs. ahead of Pacific time zones. Thus noon on West coast is 4 p.m. in Rio.

As to Days....the long flashback fillers are BECAUSE they have edited out scenes. They truly need to slow down their filming to 1 show a day - 5 shows a week, not 7 1/2. They take off all this time, but don't slow down. Won't be long before Days is a year ahead!

And the actors know it's a problem too. Eric Martsolf (Brady) mentioned the taping schedule at least 3 times during the NY event I attended last month.

I agree that moving to 5 days a week is the best solution. A more successful show will lead to more sponsorship and budget money. Can't get there without updating the taping schedule.

Other than that, I'm not interested in most of this. And why are all 3 Wednesday spoilers so far about Hope and Rafe? NO thank you.
According to some spoilers that are out, Wednesday's episode is a Rafe centric episode about his feelings for Hope.

It's another episode dedicated to one character. Like Jen's and Hope's episodes were.

I'm skipping it. I don't want to waste 1 hour watching an all Rafe episode! How boring is this episode going to be?

Filming ahead is bad as well too because when the actors change their appearances within a 5-6 month period it CAN spoil if they are still on or off the show in some ways. Eric with the shaggy grey beard was a hint for me and then months before Daniel was killed off Shawn Christian (Daniel) was sporting a faux hawk and a beard....not very Days friendly which already then lead me to believe he is probably off the show.

Last edited:
Am looking forward to the Rafe centric episode, if that is the case for the Wed. show. Love the character, and the actor. It is too bad the material written for the charactor of late has not been as good as in the past. Maybe this will change that. He supposedly has a bad dream. But...am sure there are other characters involved, as there was recently in the one devoted to Jen's addiction, and the others.

According to some spoilers that are out, Wednesday's episode is a Rafe centric episode about his feelings for Hope.

It's another episode dedicated to one character. Like Jen's and Hope's episodes were.

I'm skipping it. I don't want to waste 1 hour watching an all Rafe episode! How boring is this episode going to be?

The news about the Rafe centered episode only came out last night from SOD. It was not out at the time of my original post.

I like Rafe, do NOT find him boring, and am glad to see him getting more story. However, it's not what I would have written for him as he is not being written in character. No way Rafe would spend this much time chasing after someone. We saw it start with Jordan and now it's been taken to extreme with Hope. I wish they would ex.ore something with him and Blanca instead.

My issue with the stand alone episodes is that they seem to be more about fan gifts rather than moving story forward. It was nice in the case of the Bo/Hope episode and the Jennifer episode but now it's just getting a bit too extreme. Bo and Hope's episode didn't really change anything about Hope's actions and all the Jennifer episode did was move Doug and Julie in to the Horton home. The drug portion has been swept under the rug.

Maybe Griffith figured that since the various characters have been given such rotten material/story, that they deserve a chance to show what they can do. This is still HIS writing. The shame is, given goo story, script, dialogue, nearly every single one of Days actors has the ability to give Emmy worthy work. (Please note I said NEARLY)

I think this is Griffith's original writing with heavy influence/editing from Higley.

The lack of Steve/Kayla, Marlena, historical references, and the sudden family scenes all scream Higley.

Add me as looking forward to episode devoted to Rafe! That character turned me into a daily viewer after years away from the show. While the writing has been far from stellar, I've actually enjoyed his developing relationship with Hope, up until the "she is torn saga of late," (which I've already mentioned was too reminiscent of Deana Higley's repeated EJ/Sami/Rafe triangle). Again, that was painful enough to watch with Sami in that role, but totally out of place with Hope.

I hadn't watched since I read about that approaching saga, but I will surely be tuning in for this!

Rafe has always been rather mild mannered, easy going, but definitely a "don't mess with me" type guy. I don't think he would be the type of man who would fall easily for any woman, yet, after Sami decided to cheat on him with a sleaze, that was all the writers could dream up for him, it seems.

Hope was already dating Aiden, planning to marry him, when Bo finally returned home, only to die within 24 hrs. And she was divorced from him, convinced he had deserted his family. It had to be very difficult for her to have him return, only to quickly die. But she had reconciled herself long before that he was gone, so was able to move on, back to the life she was living before his return.

Don't know what happened to her instincts, her "gut feelings", etc. She gave Aiden $100,000, no questions, was not a loan, etc. and yet he let himself be pulled into Stefano's orbit, and agreed to kill her. He could have gone to the cops, Roman, Rafe, did not. Chase was threatened, Hope was threatened, he was threatened. He did not. He went ahead, agreeing to do their bidding, going so far as to marry her, bring the change of clothes and the tie with him on their wedding night.

If Andre had not come with the "double" what would Aiden have done? He had already changed clothes...that is how far he went. Gad, I hated it all. Still do.

As others have noted, I have no idea why the actor was brought back again, only to continue the charade with the lies.

Back