SPOILER !! Week of June 6

@TheWriter - So I feel like I'm in the minority sometimes, too, because if it was well written (e.g., Hope as a strong woman, Rafe using his brain and sometimes letting Hope solve her own problems, acknowledging the age difference, etc), I could probably root for them as a couple.

This is where we disagree: while by NO MEANS do I consider the current writing for these characters to the best I've ever seen on Days, or beyond criticism, I also don't think that they are being completely written out of character. One of the first complaints that came up was that Rafe was out of character because he would NEVER cover up Hope killing Stefano, NOT TRUE, Rafe has pretty much specialized in helping the women in his life cover up their crimes.

Now I'm seeing posts insinuating that Rafe is being a hypocrite, by not understanding Aiden's plight because Rafe had also been kidnapped by Stefano. ??????? These were completely different situations. Aiden was not kidnapped for disobeying or crossing the DiMeras. He'd complied with everything they'd asked him to do (yes under the threat of Chase's life, but if he'd simply trusted Hope with the truth instead of going as far as he did with their plan, we'd have no reason to question his current motives). As it is we the audience got NO signal that he was not going to completely follow up on his mission, and he's still lying. He was kidnapped because they didn't trust him.

Rafe's was kidnapped because he was in their way and EJ saw him as a threat to what he wanted. Unlike Aiden, Rafe NEVER made any deals with DiMeras. Why is Rafe skeptical of Aiden's motives??? In my opinion he has good reason to be. The man is lying! Does Rafe know that Aiden is lying? No (not yet), but if you go back and watch early Rafe, his biggest superpower, was his skepticism and his built in lie detector. Its why he knew exactly who Sami was within 5 minutes of meeting her. Initially that ability went a lot further than Sami, its how he knew something was up with Nicole (the baby swap) after Grace died. Its why he also knew something was up with EJ after Sydney was returned. While the past few writing regimes have completely ignored this ability, I'm hoping that Denna Higley, who was head writer during those story lines, has brought it back.

I still don't get the uproar over the differences in ages. We've never known exactly how old Rafe is, people assumed that he and Sami are close in age, but it was never specified. Heck, Will was technically older than EJ, and even if Rafe is significantly younger than Hope, SO WHAT?? Doug married his girlfriend's mother, Julie married her stepfather and became her sister's stepmother. I've also seen complaints about not acknowledging that Sami is Hope's niece, so what?

Lastly, I'm not seeing Hope as a weak woman, I'm seeing her as a woman that suffered insurmountable loss within a short amount of time and lost her way under a great deal of pressure. Within that space of time she turned to someone that she'd known for years, had become her best friend and a major source of support. Now she recognizes that the relationship could become more. I don't expect that everyone will see what I've seen, or accept the relationship, but in my opinion the overall story is just fine and that actors are doing a good job at selling it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't get the uproar over the differences in ages. We've never known exactly how old Rafe is, people assumed that he and Sami are close in age, but it was never specified. Heck, Will was technically older than EJ, and even if Rafe is significantly younger than Hope, SO WHAT?? Doug married his girlfriend's mother, Julie married her stepfather and became her sister's stepmother. I've also seen complaints about not acknowledging that Sami is Hope's niece, so what?

The uproar isn't about the age difference per se. The uproar is about the fact that the show doesn't acknowledge that Hope has a grown son and grown granddaughter. Claire has never once called Hope "Grandma" to her face. And Hope has never referred to Claire as her granddaughter. With Doug and Julie, the show is open about the fact that Doug is Hope's father and Julie is Hope's sister. Similarly, Deimos and his nephew Justin are around the same age yet Justin calls him Uncle Deimos. Claire doesn't refer to Ciara as Aunt Ciara which is fine however, they should at least acknowledge that she is her Aunt.

If the show were more open about the age difference and relationships with Hope and her family members, I could maybe get more behind this pairing. But until then it just feels forced and not authentic to me.

Given that Rafe has been paired or associated with younger women aside from Kate up until now, I think it's safe to assume he is much younger than Hope. Again, that's fine but it should be acknowledged.

Why make a deal out of the age difference if they didn't with Granny Kate? She should be much older than Rafe, she was married to Victor ages ago and even more ages ago to Curtis Brown lol

Oh, Granny Kate has been around the younger ones.........Daniel, Rafe, Deimos...she is a hooker. Age does not matter to her. Her children are in their late 30s...early 40s. She is not only a grandmother, but a great grandmother.

Hope is a grandmother of a teen. A mother of a man nearing 40, a daughter in hr late teens. Rafe may be the eldest of the Hernandez siblings, but he is not 20 years older than Gabi or Dario. He was a very young teen when Gabi was born, At the most, Rafe is close in age to Shawn, yes, a bit older.

Just remember, that on Days, once you hit 21, age is never mentioned or considered again.

However, I do agree.......I like Rafe & Hope as good friends, partners, co-workers. I have enjoyed their friendship and working relationship. I just don't think it is a romantic one.....but then.......same goes for Nicole & Daniel....as hard as the show tried.....it just was not there for me. We all react differently...obviously.

I love Rafe, liked him with Sami, & perhaps Days can find him big chemistry with someone else (I definitely do not want Sami back) ...same goes for Hope, and I don't mean Aiden.

I wouldn't be that certain that you're in the minority just because there's a persistently vocal group posting negatives.
You can add me to that minority list. I like the Rafe and Hope pairing. Also they have been friends for a long time and also partners so I don't believe this is rushed. I think they are taking their time, if it was rushed they would have already been in bed having sex

This is where we disagree: while by NO MEANS do I consider the current writing for these characters to the best I've ever seen on Days, or beyond criticism, I also don't think that they are being completely written out of character. One of the first complaints that came up was that Rafe was out of character because he would NEVER cover up Hope killing Stefano, NOT TRUE, Rafe has pretty much specialized in helping the women in his life cover up their crimes.

Now I'm seeing posts insinuating that Rafe is being a hypocrite, by not understanding Aiden's plight because Rafe had also been kidnapped by Stefano. ??????? These were completely different situations. Aiden was not kidnapped for disobeying or crossing the DiMeras. He'd complied with everything they'd asked him to do (yes under the threat of Chase's life, but if he'd simply trusted Hope with the truth instead of going as far as he did with their plan, we'd have no reason to question his current motives). As it is we the audience got NO signal that he was not going to completely follow up on his mission, and he's still lying. He was kidnapped because they didn't trust him.

Rafe's was kidnapped because he was in their way and EJ saw him as a threat to what he wanted. Unlike Aiden, Rafe NEVER made any deals with DiMeras. Why is Rafe skeptical of Aiden's motives??? In my opinion he has good reason to be. The man is lying! Does Rafe know that Aiden is lying? No (not yet), but if you go back and watch early Rafe, his biggest superpower, was his skepticism and his built in lie detector. Its why he knew exactly who Sami was within 5 minutes of meeting her. Initially that ability went a lot further than Sami, its how he knew something was up with Nicole (the baby swap) after Grace died. Its why he also knew something was up with EJ after Sydney was returned. While the past few writing regimes have completely ignored this ability, I'm hoping that Denna Higley, who was head writer during those story lines, has brought it back.

Lastly, I'm not seeing Hope as a weak woman, I'm seeing her as a woman that suffered insurmountable loss within a short amount of time and lost her way under a great deal of pressure. Within that space of time she turned to someone that she'd known for years, had become her best friend and a major source of support. Now she recognizes that the relationship could become more. I don't expect that everyone will see what I've seen, or accept the relationship, but in my opinion the overall story is just fine and that actors are doing a good job at selling it.

Well said, exactly what I have been thinking. :)

Funny thing, I never even thought about the age difference with Hope and Rafe, till it was brought up here. I guess because Rafe has no kids (that we know of) and Hope seems youthful and Ciara was like 9 a second ago lol. I like Rafe with Hope but could like her with someone else. I just don't like Aiden lol Sorry, don't mean to sound like a broken record.

Back