SPOILER !! Week of May 23

Unless you are a Nielsen ratings participant, doesn't matter if you watch or not, your viewing won't count.

Yes, TV Guide would do the weekly "most watched" shows, and had the numbers "live" and within 3 days of being recorded. So...the ability for doing that is built in to newer recording devices.

While those viewings are noted, actual ratings come from Nielsen participants. When I had to deal with the family emergency situation last year, the family member was a Nielsen viewer. I had to work with them to have all of their equipment returned and the contract terminated. One night I sat and read through the paperwork and it talked about how being a participant helps create the ratings used by the networks. It was actually kind of interesting.

Have been one in the past myself. Was asked again, did it once more, but then declined afterwards. A pain, for sure. However, they DO keep track of what is recorded. No different than how your cell phone calls can be tracked if necessary. And if TV Guide has the Nielsen ratings from recordings that are viewed within 3 days of telecast, the chip is there.

A pain, for sure.
It's nice how they do it now, Barb. No more written TV diaries. It's all computerized. They hook a box to every TV and the info is automatically sent to Nielsen throughout the day/night. You don't have to keep track of anything.

LOL, bet they just love when folks "flip" channels. My hubby's fav pastime, I swear. I tell him to just check the guide, nope, "doesn't know how" (despite having the system for years).

Well, now they must not want to know the ages and genders of those watching a program. After all, it is not always those living in the house who are watching, they can have company, or just one household member is watching, not all 5 or 6. LOL

I'm not sure how that part is all handled (the age, gender, etc. of everyone who watched). as the family member who had signed up was a single person who rarely had company, so Nielsen knew all viewing was for them. There were no paper diaries to be filled out. The Nielsen box had a light on it that would periodically light up during the day/night and that's when the info was being transmitted (I'm guessing).

Probably some urban legends, but EweSearch mentions a button on the Nielson box for each family member. Scarier comments about the Box having face-ID sensors for taking attendance. :eek: I would pass, unless generously compensated.

Advertisers are alleged to be very interested in the age of a given show's viewership. It would make some sense that Days' plot lines would be influenced by this. :confused:

You're not generously compensated. I think my family member got $250 or $275 at the beginning and was supposed to get the same amount at the end of the contract period (which I think was supposed to be 2 years).

They were also told not to tell anyone they were a Nielsen viewer, that it had to be kept confidential (first thing my family member did after the rep left was to call and tell me, but then said not to tell anyone :rotfl:). The rep explained that networks are not above trying to "bribe" participants with gifts, offers to travel, etc. to watch their shows.

But enough about that.

I wish there was a spoiler that said "everybody in Salem regains use of their brain".

Back