What can I buy my dad for Christmas?

Jammers

Reaction score
What do you buy for the dad (66...widower of 2 1/2 yrs) that either has everything he wants or if he wants it, he goes out and buys it before I get a chance to? He does not like "trinkets" or things to just sit around and collect dust. He usually says not to get him anything unless he can eat it or wear it...I would add grow it to the list because he has a container garden. I am at a loss of what to get him for Christmas.

Any ideas???

All of those are good ideas, but only the sporting event might be a possibility. He pays all bills on line and if he mails something, he does it thru his company (that he owns). His company also pays for all vehicle expenses. He mainly listens to talk radio and what little music he likes, he just turns on Sirius station and finds his old country songs station. And he has a slide show running of pics on his computer all the time.

Will have to think on the sporting event...maybe I could buy him three tickets to see the Astros and tell him that he has to take me and my brother to the game...LOL.

I thought about getting something/making something that has to do with my mom, but I really dont want him sad on Christmas....it is already hard on him.

THANKS JS!!

I am too....if I cant think of anything else, he will end up with a gift card to either HEB, Kroger, Home Depot, or Lowes. He has plenty of money, so I hate to give him gift cards. I could get him some of his pipe tobacco, but it is like $100 for a pound....guess I could just get him 1/2 pound. Crazy how expensive it is....but he likes the good stuff. Not the "rot-gut" stuff that he used to smoke (that is what he calls it...I think it was Borkum Riff and you could buy it at the gas station.)

Egads, I am married to a man like that. I bought him a GPS one year, he liked it, sat it down next to his chair and there it sat for two months. So I took it and use it. He does not like anything electronic.....and won't even learn how to use my simpleton cell phone.

Tickets are a good idea. What about a food order from Schwann's? Lovo raves about it all the time. They probably have foods he would like.

Lilo...bought him a frame a couple of years ago, took a picture of him and the girls on Christmas, printed it out at his house and put in in the frame that day. I knew if I didn't get it in the frame, that is would just sit in his camera for ever. Lol.

Barb...Schwann's is an idea...will have to think about that one. I also married a man like my father. Hubby always buys what he wants thru the year. There have been times when he has told me something that he wanted and two weeks before Christmas went out and bought it himself. A couple of times either me or his mom had already bought it and we wrapped it and gave it to him anyway....just to make a point, and make him take it back to the store for a refund :) But last year I bought him golf clubs because he was just starting to take a few lessons. He has not taken another lesson since then and the clubs are still sitting in the same place that he put them last Christmas...not one club has even been taken out of the bag. GRRR. IF I buy him anything this year, it will probably be something to do with his motorcycle...a jacket or jeans to ride in, nothing big because he got a MOTORCYCLE already!

I've read this thread with interest. My dad was the same way--he'd go and buy whatever he wanted right before Christmas! Buying gifts for older people has always been a challenge because the last thing they need is more clutter. And these days younger people are so specific in their likes and dislikes, I find it nearly impossible to shop for anybody.

Another thought going with the foods idea is the fruit delivery, Better Homes and Gardens is offering a nice looking fruit box, (it was in the latest Nov.mag) I am thinking of it for a number of people.

That is my grandfather and dad.

For my grandpa - since he likes to go and eat out, gift cards it is. Even tho he does have plenty of money. Last year, I bought him two gallons of his favorite ice cream from Baskin Robbins.

My dad - I never know with him. My sister bought him a digital picture frame about 2 or 3 years ago and was going to put pictures of her son on there and then give it to me to put pictures of my boys on there. I have yet to see the picture frame and the last time it was mentioned, I think she had just about filled up the memory card.
sigh.gif
I guess it shouldn't surprise me tho.

The digital picture frames are nice for people who are good with electronics but my son gave me one a few years ago, with pictures he had installed. I tried to add some of my own but never could figure the whole thing out. It was frustrating, so the thing has never been used.

Couple of thoughts because my Dad has everything and doesn't need anything.

My brother buys him a years' supply of car washes where he always takes his car.
You could pay his Sirius membership for the year.
A few years ago, I got my parents a family portrait for Christmas. My brother had done it over 10 years ago so it needed updated. We set the appointment and called my parents and told them to be there. The photographer did individual couples' pictures as well as the family portrait. My parents loved it because we have no pictures of all six of us...My husband and I were married only 7 years ago and the last portrait was probably 10 years or more.

All good ideas, krw627, just not for my dad (maybe for my father in law though). My dad has someone at his shop wash his vehicle, his company pays for his Sirius (and all vehicle related expenses), and the last time we had a family pic done was at over 30 years ago and my mom practically had to beg him to do it....since she is not here anymore, there is no way he would.

The same gifts I am getting for my grandchildren who have everything, and are too dang spoiled anyway.

For Malawai Africe, Lawrence O'Donnell gathers donations to buy desks for schoolchildren who now sit on the dirt or cement floor to do their classwork. The desks cost forty dollars apiece, and are also made by a small manufacturer in Malawai thereby providing work for people there in this poor country.

My darling grandchildren will get a framed certificate from me saying they have given 3 desks that will serve nine children for this year, and countless children in the years to come. I do not know if they will appreciate it or not, but as they are now in their teens, impossible to buy for, and really most unthankful anyway, this will do them good, and I know it will do me good!!

Not your bag? Or prefer to do something here? Fine, make a donation in his name to the Red Cross for relief and aid to the victims of Sandy.

On my soapbox here, but we who have so much and so little need can do a lot by sometimes giving gifts to others in a pay it forward way.

Here is a link for information about the desk project known as K.I.N.D. (kids in need of desks)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40558738/

Jammers, I'm convinced there really is nothing your dad needs. How about a note with a date for the two of you to go out to lunch and spend the afternoon together? I know I would like that better from any of my kids than gifts, which aren't much needed.

All of us don't have so much, and as the disasters we have had in the last few years show, plus the economy, many of our own citizens have lost everything. The Red Cross and Salvation Army resources have probably been stretched to their limits and beyond trying to help those in these disaster areas. Floods, drought, tornados, hurricanes, blizzards, forest fires, job losses, foreclosures, illness...our country has been hit hard with so many problems.
And yes, I believe in paying it forward so to speak, whether it is just donating to the food shelf, dropping money in the Salvation Army kettles, donating to Habitat for Humanity, Good Will, a soup kitchen....whatever one can do.

However, since Jammers asked about getting a gift for her wonderful dad who, like a lot of men, just goes and gets whatever he seems to need, if anything...I am hard pressed, since I have gotten things I was sure such a man would love, and while thanked a lot, find they are unused, still in boxes, etc. An already framed photo of your family would be nice. And certainly would have to sit out on a table, mantle or something somewhere. LOL

OCG...you can see why I started this thread!! I did find something yesterday that I bought him...well order it online...it is a pipe tobacco pouch with a place for a pipe. He is always going places and then saying after he has been there a little bi,t and we are just sitting around talking, that he should have brought his pipe and he could have smoked a load....so now he has no excuse, he can use the pouch. But I still need to get something else. Might get about $30 worth of his tobacco...unless he happens to tell me something else before Christmas.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for all the great ideas. I might use some of them for other people.

What about a Blu-ray player? They have come down so much in price and are quite affordable. Every man I know like things in Hi-Def!

Back