What's to like about Daniel Jonas

cryin4days

Reaction score
I'll admit, I wasn't a fan of his when he first appeared in Salem because of the immediate inappropriate vibes between he and Chelsea, but I learned to tolerate him and came to accept him as part of the canvas so to speak. Over the years, tolerance and acceptance have flown straight out the window. They made him Maggie's miracle child and Melanie's miracle daddy, and Jen's "love at first sight" and then Parker's father. And now he's the be all to end all in Salem - surgeon, detective, confidant, heartthrob, and superhero.

There is absolutely nothing I like about the character and I know it's colored by how intricately they've unnecessarily woven him into the fabric of families and this soap. Rafe has been in town since 2008 and the only tie he know has in Salem is his infant niece. So I'm asking you all, what do you like about Daniel Jonas?

Daniel is my favorite character for a lot of reasons. First, he lives 100% by his own conscience and has the self-confidence to live by his own truth no matter what anyone else thinks. He also is 100% committed to his values, even if doing so puts his own life at risk, asevidenced by the recent scenes with Kristen. He is generally empathetic as well as helpful and he has a great connection with teenagers. He is honest about his feelings instead of beating around the bush and hinting at what he feels like so many others. He is one of the few characters who actually thinks about his kid's welfare.

The only time Idont like Daniel is when they write him all out of character to make him have angst with Jen.

LOL, KL, first thought that came to MY mind was.....he has shaved! (great minds and all that)
O.K. the character has done a lot of good, obviously. But for all the reasons cryin' named, he definitely is not on my fav. list. However, I can really tolerate him a lot more away from Jennifer. I do like his friendship, and mentor status with JJ. That is really a good thing, and I am glad for JJ.And I also liked his previous relationship/friendship with Nicole. Am sorry the writers chose to destroy it.

I also have detested them making him Maggie's egg baby son, and her constant fawning over him, too bad he could not have just stayed Victor's godson.

The issues I have with Daniel were pointed out by Cryin4days and Poirot. I think when he first came on he was touted as a miracle surgeon and a playboy with his female patients, and if they had kept him as a supporting character he would have been okay. However, when they made him Maggie's miracle egg baby, and therefore ruining her character, and his on again, off again love interest with Jennifer, that he became extremely irritating and is on the air way too much. Also, with this writing regime, he has somehow become this great superhero, can do no wrong, Daniel is a sainted character to all of Salem.

This writing regime cannot be bothered to keep male heroes on the show like Bo, Jack, or Steve, and relegate John into a coma, but Daniel is supposed to be this great character that all women want and all men admire. No wonder he is so unlikable to the audience.

I actually enjoyed the Chelsea storyline because it impacted so many other people in Salem. And he did have chemistry with the actress. It's funny EJ and Abigail have a much smaller age difference than Daniel and Chelsea did yet I don't recall that much animosity about Daniel and Chelsea at the time.

Anyway, what bothers me is that they are portraying him as a leading man and this show already has many other candidates for that. I'm tired of him being inserted in every storyline with no end in sight while Rafe airs once a week on average. Not fair and not right. I'm tired of the dirty backpack too. I get that he's a non-traditional doctor but go out and get a nice black leather backpack then. I wish the hospital Board would have guidelines in place for appearances.

I can't think of anything nice to say at this point sorry

I like Daniel. I think it is other people's opinions of him, and horribly-written storylines, that I do not like. He isn't perfect, but he has tried to change those aspects of him (he told Eve he doesn't want to sleep with his patients anymore) and is a good person and friend overall.

I hate when they have characters prop him to everyone, they shove his eggbaby connection down our throats (really, the Horton Tree ornaments for him and Melanie? It was already a stretch for Victor to have one, lol). Then, the awful 'will they-won't they' relationship between him and Jennifer that has dragged on for years. I loved them together at first, but Jennifer became a hag and there have been all these interlopers...I much prefer Daniel away from Jennifer. And, sometimes, vice versa.

Dr Dan is a character that's great to make fun of.
He can do almost everything in Salem and no one blinks an eye.
Very true. Mocking Daniel Jonas is a popular pastime on this board. What other character is called so many names here? He's variously called Dr. Feely-Gropey, the Love Doctor, Dr. McScruffy, Super Jonas, DanTan, the eggbaby, the surfer dude, etc. He combines good looks, intelligence, insight, kindness, and even courage, with cluelessness, occasional nastiness, a sloppy/unshaven appearance, an outsized libido, and an annoyingly devoted/fawning cheering section. Taken seriously, this guy can be really irritating, but at an another level, he's a gift that keeps on giving.

Barb, I agree with you Daniel being AWAY from Jennifer. I really like his blossoming friendship with Eve and I firmly believe that he acould be good for/to her. Eve just needs to let her guard (the lying to get what she wants) down and let him in. Eve has had alot of pain/issues in her past and who knows perhaps he could help somehow.

Back