Who's married?

Designing Woman

Reaction score
Started counting today. Are Victor & Maggie the only couple actually married on this show anymore? I know there's Doug & Julie but they're on so sporadically that it's hard to count them. Chad & Abby are supposedly still married, but who knows where that's going. Shawn & Belle? Marlena & John, living together but I don't think they're married; Steve & Kayla, living together but just engaged; Lucas & Adrienne, marriage interruptus; Deimos & Nicole, kinda living together not married; Rafe & Hope, nope.

Has marriage really become that outdated?

If the characters married, then they could not play musical bedmates, couples, etc. The last wedding was probably Will & Sonny.....and Will is dead now. Actually the last wedding WAS Chad & Abby, & yes, they are still married. But heck, the local court made a good buck with all the many divorce papers constantly filed. Belle & Shawn were on the verge, but decided to forego filing them. Theresa & Brady were going to marry, as were Lucas & Adrienne.....so, yep.......Maggie & Victor, plus Doug & Julie are it.

I think the problem stems from the constant claim from writers that once a couple gets married, the couple becomes boring. There is nothing to write for them, blah, blah, blah. Bet you that viewers don't feel that way........but , they are not the ones who write the show.

This isn't just true on TV. In real life MANY couples just live together, have children and then maybe someday get married...or not. Not the way I would choose to live.
Agreed. My husband didn't want to go the marriage route either, but I told him the only way he would get me for life is to make it legal. And then I enumerated all the legal rights he and I would have as a married couple and, should something happen to me, he would be able to automatically be considered next of kin or be able to make medical decisions on my behalf, instead of that reverting to my parents (something neither he nor I would want).

That said, I know a LOT of people who have lived together for years and raised a family without being married, and it works for them. And I'm happy for them.

I don't think the question here is whether it is o.k. or not for couples to live together without being married. Heck, a relative did so for 25 years, then decided to get married! I personally think it was for the reason WhizG mentioned. The guy got very sick, was in hospital for quite some time. Oh, he recovered, but the following year they announced they were getting married.

The question was, who, in Salem, is married.........and there doesn't seem to be many at all. I doubt there will be either. Probably easier for the writers to break them up, make up, break up, makeup, etc.

By my count, the only 3 couples who are currently married are Doug/Julie, Abby/Chad, and Victor/Maggie.

It is sad that many of us have watched so many of these couples fall in love over the years and go through tons of ups and downs only to be broken apart for no reason. There are lots of creative ways to write angst for a couple without an interloper or suddenly writing half the couple as out of character.

I do hope that the new year brings us final weddings for Belle/Shawn, John/Marlena, Steve/Kayla, Adrienne/???. I'm tired of seeing the break up/make up stuff. Let's move on to what happens after happily ever after.

Back