7/9/21 - Donuts & Diagnosis

mandamiee

Reaction score
Good Friday Morning,

It's a beautiful cool sunny morning here. VBS planning went well, but when I got to my mom's to pick up Gena, she let me know that my step-dad has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. My mom is out of her mind with worry, and adding this on top of my sister's cancer battle I worry that it's too much for her. Thankfully they caught my step-dad's very early and he's scheduled surgery for late August to take care of it. I'm just relieved that of all the cancers there are this one is very treatable and has good outcomes.

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

I couldn't do much outside this morning since the awful humidity is back. I borrowed my friend's
saw and cut more off the bush I was working on over the weekend. I couldn't get it all done
since I got tired. I'll work on it more this weekend maybe

After walking, I watered the front bed and found the mower blew a bunch of grass on the side of it.
It looks terrible. I told him to be careful before, but he's a man. I'm thinking about finding someone
else because it's going to take a long time to get the grass out of it. If any of had seeds on top, it
might plant grass in the bed. There was so much grass stuck on the side of the house it took me
10 minutes to wash it off with the hose. MEN.

manda, tell you mom one of Sunday school friends husband had prostate cancer. They caught it in time
and he's checked yearly.

I hope everyone has a good day and nice weekend.

Manda, thank you for starting the thread. I'm so sorry to hear about your step-dad's diagnosis but it does sound hopeful for him. Maybe the medical staff will be able to give your mom some reassurance.

Kat, an extra mess for you to clean up is not a pleasant development. I hope you can find someone who'll meet your expectations. Would you like to borrow some of my cows for a while? They're doing a pretty good job of keeping my grass "mowed," while fertilizing it at the same time. :rolleyes:

Sunshine and in the lower 90s* for the next day or two, then another chance of rain for Sunday and Monday. After that it looks as those summer is finally arriving, with full sun and upper 90s*. I can't decide whether I'm glad about it or if I've been spoiled to the milder temperatures and wetness/green grass.

I forgot to mention I fertilized some flowers in the front bed. If I remember I'll try
to film my front bed when the sun is off it. My gladiolus are lovely this year.

OC, that's a good thought, but would they eat my flowers too? And where will I take all
the cow mess? Thanks for the laugh :) I'm going to miss the cooler temps since I
have a lot of stuff (more now) to do in the flowerbeds.

Kat - Manure makes for great fertilizer. My grandpa still has a pile of horse manure for his garden. Sadly the horses died many years ago of old age, but now that my grandpa is 88, his garden is much smaller too.

OC - I'm glad you've been enjoying the green grass, sorry your temperatures are going back up.

Thanks for the kind words. I think I helped my mom a little when I reminded her my one uncle on my dad's side had prostate cancer about 20 years and not only survived, but thrived for another 18+ years to the ripe old age of 78. He passed 2 years ago from something completely unrelated.

Good morning. What a fun morning to read. We have kat with mower issues and OC offering her cows to help with the mowing. What a great group!!!

Manda - hope all goes well with your stepdad, I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

HB's van is ready so we're off to pick up the old beast.

Hi all! So it's 75 here. In July. In Texas. Unreal!!

I am so ready for the weekend. I am tired and burned out at work. I know things are better but I feel I could take a month off right now. LOL. Oh well.

Manda - hope you dad will be ok and your sister too but especially your mom.

Kat - find a new lawn man.

OC - sorry you aren't enjoying this cooler wether we have in southeast TX

dachsie, I'm thinking about finding someone new. I need a lawn woman who would
care about the flowerbed. I hope you get some rest over the weekend.

OC, I'll have to turn down your offer for your cows. Thanks anyway
:)

robin, good news about the van.

Kat, my mower guy has a woman who does his weedeating. I'm in awe of the strength she must have in her arms.

Dachsie, it's been in the 80s for daytime highs here for some time, which is 20 or so degrees lower than usual and I do enjoy the lower temperatures and I am grateful for the extra rain because we often don't get enough and I know the problems that brings. But from a personal comfort standpoint, I feel more comfortable going outside when things are not wet. But a spring like we've had is a good thing so I'm glad I'm not the one who controls the weather. I hope you get some good rest this weekend.

Back