04/14/16 - Donuts & Loud Birds

Y

YPG

67° is the high today. The birds outside my window are so loud. I swear they come right to my window and start singing get up, get up.

My lawn equipment has arrived. All of the pieces are 80 volts. Then yesterday I saw a commercial for electric equipment at Home Depot but the equipment shown was only like 18 volts so now I get why people were like do not go electric. I really got lucky with that Gold Box sale on Amazon.

In March I was reading the newspaper online and saw a thing for camps around the area. I was checking them out because my youngest daughter (14) has never been to one though her sister used to go to a church one in GA, with friends, for a few years in a row (the girls used to live down there while I worked). I found a camp that seemed really cool and was just for teens during that session, was faith based which would make her happy and not too far away.

I figured this will probably be the last year I could get away with sending her to camp so I thought this would be a great birthday present.

I asked the mom of the girl my youngest always goes to church with (they pick her up and the girls alternate services to help with child care) if her daughter could also go to camp and I would pay. They are good friends and the girl often comes over after church or spends the night and I take them or pick them up if needed so we all have a good relationship.

The mom agreed and we decided to keep it a surprise. She had to go online and fill out the registration for her daughter and I just sent in separate checks for both of them. The mom said she completed the registration and only had to do the physical.

Then when I called the camp to tell them of my phone number change, they told me they did receive the payments but the other girl's registration was not complete (and needed to be to hold her spot) and the physical could be sent in separate. The other mom said she had completed the registration so I suggested she just click through again because even I found it confusing, though I did not.

I also found out that the people running the camp (and others affiliated with) were connected to the church the girls attend so I was like yay and told the other mom who also was like yay because our church has an amazing community presence and youth group which they often go on overnight trips together no problem.

So I am thinking everything is cool and sent the other mom a list of things to bring and not bring to camp and offered to purchase anything needed since this was all my idea. (All this is not cheap but I really want this to happen for my daughter.)

Then the other mom texted me like: No phones? Now this mom is a principal so I would think she would understand the purpose of having a no phones rule. The girls are going to be in the woods for a week and doing so many camp activities, it really would not work if the campers were all distracted by their phones.

I mean come on, gosh, these girls are going to be turning 15 (my daughter) & 16 (her daughter) this summer, I think they can handle it. But I told the mom I would call and see if an exception could be made. Like the phone could be kept at the office or something or be sure they would have phone access at any time, I do not know.

I still got the feeling that if phone use is not allowed, the other mom might pull out which will be very frustrating to me. She had no problem with me taking the girls to a concert out of town last year and this camp like hits all the good points so I will be extremely frustrated if this mother backs out.

Anyway, I hope the sun shines on you all today and good day to you all.

Good morning all. The early morning meeting, well early morning for me anyway went well information gathered and passed on.

YPG - the camp sounds like a wonderful gift. As for the no phones rule, OMG how did I survive as a child? Seat belts weren't even in cars let alone car seats. We had ONE, yes, ONE phone in the house and it was in the kitchen bolted to the wall. And the tv was black and white for a really long time, and had an antenna so we could get 2 of the 3 networks, never did get CBS.

Yes, times have changed, and I know that if when sister told my niece she had to leave her phone on the counter for Christmas dinner last year, it was almost end of the world time. I do hope this works out.

The injection of gel so far appears to be working. Pain is noticeably decreased. Woohoo!

Everyone have a great Thursday.

Good Morning,

YPG - good luck with camp, I hope your daughter goes even if her friend does not.

Robin - so glad the injection is working for your knee. :)

Color me disappointed. I was so looking forward to a gooey melty grilled cheese last night and my husband decided he was tired and ordered pizza before I got home. :( So instead of making meatloaf tonight I'm making grilled cheese for dinner. What's even better is that I get done at my normal time today as I have all my overtime for this week in.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

If anyone receives an email saying it is coming from me or has any form of "squirrel" or "squ1rrel" in the email address, DO NOT click on the hyperlink. Better yet, delete the email without opening it.

Amanda notified me that she received such an email, and it is not from me. I've done a clean sweep of all of my electronics, and they're all clean. I've also changed all passwords to my email accounts and Facebook.

None of my relatives have received such an email. The only thing I can figure out at this point is that someone who has one of my email addresses in their contacts or is friends with me on Facebook was hacked or has a virus.

I'll continue to try to track this down.

Detective Squirrelock Holmes is on the case of the mysterious email virus. The rotten email has been deleted from my inbox and from my deleted folder. And no I never opened the link, don't need to be downloading viruses as work.

Hmm, JS, never thought of that. I'll have to check out my account.

What a weird address. I know some time ago Sunny's e-mail was hacked, and every once in a while I get some kind of stupid thing with her name on it. (but not her e-mail address) .....I never open them.

Hi all......very busy today, had appt. already, plus going to dr. so take care all.

Good morning everyone. My mother called and was dying laughing. She's been having a problem with her chair lift that goes up and down the stairs. It's been moving very slowly. It is battery operated in case the electricity goes out, but does stay plugged in to keep a charge. I had told her the battery probably needed replacing, so when my brother and another guy were at her house, she asked them to check it out for her. They couldn't find anything about a battery or where it went, but I went over there later and found the metal plaque with the battery information on it: 12v x2.

I told Mama it took two batteries and they were probably something like motorcycle batteries. I did not find the battery compartment, though, because I didn't want to take the chair apart with a screwdriver, not knowing where I was supposed to look.

Well, she had the chair serviced by the company. The guy replaced the batteries, yes two of them, after telling her they were like motorcycle batteries, lol. My mother has come to rely on my "expertise" even after all those years of my dad telling me I didn't know what I was doing. Not to mention two men couldn't figure it out, lol! Yes!!

OMG how did I survive as a child? Seat belts weren't even in cars let alone car seats. We had ONE, yes, ONE phone in the house and it was in the kitchen bolted to the wall. And the tv was black and white for a really long time, and had an antenna so we could get 2 of the 3 networks, never did get CBS.

You just described my childhood to a tee, lol. What ever did we do? LOL

Take care.

Hi everyone!

People not being able to part with their cell phones is ridiculous. Mine stays in my box at work even though as a manager I'm allowed to carry mine. I caught an employee the other day hiding in a corner and texting (their cell phones are supposed to be in their lockers). This is why I hate being labeled a Millennial. I can put my cell phone down and don't need it attached to me constantly. Take it away from an 18 year-old and they have a meltdown.

Darn spammers! Glad you didn't click on that email manda.

Working 3-10 today.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Good busy morning all.

Today it is 'hot' in my vernacular! My A/C is on permanently now until at-least October.

This morning at a safety meeting: as I entered the room, I tripped on a purse handle and fell flat to the ground - bumping my head in the process - as I heard the agent say: "and we all know nurses are among the most coordinated people in the world". :eek::rotfl:

YPG: sure hope your daughter attends camp with or without her friend. She will make new friends at camp.:)

ROBIN: ditto my childhood experiences. And happy to know the gel injections are helping to control your pain.:clap:

MANDA: what a thoughtful hubby to order pizza last night. And tonight - due to anticipation - you'll enjoy the grilled cheese sandwiches even more.
Now I want one too.:)

RS: it most likely is a Facebook hack. My account has been hacked 3 times -- and Facebook refuses to delete the excess false accounts. So new people become 'friends' and emails are sometimes sent out. It aggravates me more than I can say. :angry:

JS: oh, great thought. Now I need to check my own. :(

POIROT: Best wishes at the doctor appointment. Hoping you're finally at the end of this flu-bronchitis-cough bug! :clap:

KT: guess we have two 'sherlocks' at this forum today! Glad it all worked out for your Mama.

Take care all.

It's a beautiful day here. I'll be outside later doing something. I'll probably put more dirt in
where the pampas grass was. I need to get that done so I can plant the bulbs that are going
there. As of now, no bird has started a nest in the new planter. I keep hearing the bird
sing. This morning, I put some grass and other things inside planter. Maybe a bird will get the hint.

My computer guy told me stop downloading email into my computer. I look at it on
the server. Most bad email goes into the spam box.

It's sad how everyone wants their cell phone with them at all times. I'm sure if there
is an emergency family members can contact the camp. It sounds like a good camp
because of the people involved.

We had a black and white TV for a long time. It was years before I knew 'Wizard of Oz' was
in color. My dad put seat belts in the back seat since it didn't have any. We only got one
or two TV stations since we lived too far out for cable. The one station showed two networks
for a time. Finally, a third station went in.

manda, enjoy your grilled cheese sandwich later.

I hope everyone has a good rest of the day.

YPG - sad your daughters friend Mother would be so shallow. AND a principal at that! Good luck

Robinsnest - glad your early morning meeting was worth it and also that the gel is working - YAHOO

Amanda - I hate that when you're puckered for one thing and get something totally different. Enjoy tonight!

RS - I'm sure you will get to the bottom of the mysterious email - never surprising me anymore.

KT - great going on helping your Mom - MEN!

Noel - beautiful timing on the spill! Hope your okay

Kat - enjoy your day in the yard, sure wish I could be out there.

We had visitors in our pool last night. Two ducks flew in and took up residence for quite sometime. My granddaughter was over and she got the biggest kick out of them in the pool. She wanted to pet them but of course that didn't work out to well. We had raccoons a couple weeks ago so the ducks were a pleasant surprise compared to the raccoons.

Have a great day
Shan

My daughter will be going regardless. The camp has agreed to make an exception for the friend. The phone will be kept at the office and if the girl/freaking teenager decides she needs to make a phone call, the counselor or director will assess the situation and let her make a call if needed.

I mean of course nobody is going to hold her against her will, but this will be a time to learn new skills and people other than being on the phone, so hopefully the other girl does not make it a problem. My daughter knows better than to call me crying about nothing so she will be fine with or without the friend.

If other kids find out, they will want an exception to the phone rule too. Maybe kids need their
phones like a security blanket.

I had a good afternoon working in the flowerbed.

It was not said that the friend would get her phone whenever, only that the situation would be assessed and a phone call may be made if necessary. Does not mean that phone call had to come upon demand from the girl's personal cell.

So the friend is not actually getting an extra privilege, the director and I just came up with a way to present it as such to alleviate the fears of the mother and/or daughter.
They do have landlines there and if electronics are not left at home as is clearly outlined in the handbook, they will be kept in the front office. This goes for all campers.

The lady I have been speaking with to arrange everything for both girls understand and is working with Me to help make this go as smoothly as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand she won't get to keep the phone with her, but others might want their
phone in the office too in case they need to use it.

I never been to camp so maybe it's something that makes kids nervous.

Back