3 Beans & Sausage

redsquirrel

Reaction score
This is a good hearty meal when you add Italian or French bread. I go a little lighter on the hot sauce or eliminate it all together.

I've also substituted loose sausage for the sausage links. Try using breakfast sausage, Italian sweet sausage, Italian mild/medium/hot sausage, or smoked sausage for different tastes. I've used everything but the hot sausage.

I make mine in the crockpot, but it can also go in the oven. This is one of those recipes that can be changed up a lot.

Shirley

3 Beans & Sausage

1 15 oz can great northern beans
1 15 oz can kidney beans
1 15 oz can butter beans
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 medium chopped green pepper
1 lb sausage, cooked, cut into 1/2 inch slices
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp mustard
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 tsp tobasco or hot sauce

Combine all ingredients in crockpot.
Cook 6 to 8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high

If baking in the oven........350* for 1 hour

mmm, I may have to make that this weekend. Sounds like it would warm me right up. :)

I made this today, and it was delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Instead of using canned beans, I soaked dried beans last night (1 cup pinto beans, 1 cup small red beans and 1/2 cup large limas). Then I cooked this this morning like usual and drained them to mix with the other ingredients. I added some chopped fresh jalapeno and I used a bit more hot sauce. I used a link of smoked pork sausage for the meat. Otherwise I think I kept everything else the same. I cooked it in the slow cooker on low for about 4 1/2 hours, I think, which was plenty because my slow cooker for some reason gets REALLY hot even on low. I'm glad I used one of those liners because I think it will make the cleanup a lot easier.

Anyway, it turned out great and my husband liked it, so thanks again!

I made this for my work crew today. They LOVED it!
I made it with 5 different cans of beans and added more "sauce" to make a BIG crock pot FULL - they finished it off! (and there were 9 of us today)
Thanks!

I used Black Beans (my favorite) Kidney Beans, some kind of White bean, Baby Limas and Baby Butter beans.

One of the guys brought SOUR DOUGH Bread and "Shepherd's" bread (I didn't get to try that, but the Sour Dough was wonderful!) another guy brought some Corn Bread.

We had it for lunch and a couple of the guys took bowls of it to have for their dinners since we were working a 12 hour shift and 1 guy lives alone while we work (in a camper to save the 50-mile-one-way drive twice a day) and the other guy's wife is out of town. And - the only other female asked for the recipe so she could try her hand at it.

Thanks again for sharing this!

Back