Adam Johnson (hockey player) has died

kap

Reaction score
Not sure how many hockey fans are on this board but wanted to take a minute to post about this sad story as well.

Adam Johnson age 29 was killed in a freak accident during a hockey game in England this past Saturday (10/28). An opponent's skate blade caught him in the neck and unfortunately, he passed away while being transported to the hospital.

Adam Johnson played mostly in the AHL (American Hockey League - one level below the NHL) as well as 13 games in the NHL for the Pittsburgh Penguins a couple of seasons ago.

https://apnews.com/article/hockey-p...t-nottingham-098abfe508a908cdc64bdf1b6d4f4e4e

Hockey is a very tough and dangerous game. RIP Adam Johnson and prayers to your family members.

Attachments

• adam johnson.jpg
    adam johnson.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
It's really a sad and tragic story. I feel bad for his fiancee. Apparently, they just got engaged over the summer and she was at the game when it happened. Reports say she ran onto the ice and has now posted a very sad message on her Instagram page. Just sad all around.

As a young boy who played hockey, all I wanted to do was play in the NHL as I got older. I quickly realized during my teenage years that the only league I would play in would be the men's recreation leagues (beer leagues).

Last edited:
How on earth did a skate blade hit his neck? I hope it was absolutely an accident and not rough playing.

Sounds like he fell, and another player was skating right there......It is a freak accident, just horrible....

How on earth did a skate blade hit his neck? I hope it was absolutely an accident and not rough playing.
There was a collision between two other players and the momentum caused the opponent's leg to lift up and caught Adam going by a split second later. Wasn't malicious on the other player's behalf, but a freak and tragic accident.

The opposing player is completely devastated and incredibly is receiving hate mail and threats.

There are videos but be warned before viewing.

Sounds like he fell, and another player was skating right there......It is a freak accident, just horrible....
There was a collision between two other players and it was the momentum of the hit that caused the opposing player to lose his balance. When he got cut he tried to get to the bench and fell at that point.

I sincerely hope the morons making the threats are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Terroristic threats are no joke.

Yes, I saw that a couple of days ago. There are many who feel that was an intentional act, not so much wanting the direct outcome of killing Adam Johnson, but they feel there was intent to cause harm. Apparently, that player who is from Toronto has a history of being a dirty player.

Then there are the players from Adam's team who say they were sitting on the bench and could see better than anyone. A few players say it was not intentional as the guy was thrown off balance when his skate got clipped.

It happened so quickly and it's hard to get a good view of the videos floating around out there.

I feel bad for his girlfriend. From what I read Adam was going to step away from hockey once the season ended and had bought her an engagement ring. I didn't read the whole story, but I think she found the ring in their apartment recently or a family member told her where it was. She was only 24 and had been with him for the past 3 years.

Back