August and Turner Classic Movies

Last week ........they ran the Shirley Temple movie Bright Eyes (which I had never heard of) and I saw the 2nd half, as I wanted to see the movie, "Laura", which I had not seen in years, and it came after. Well finally there is something to watch, as TV has been really awful this summer (to me, folks, just to me. LOL)

I've watched this channel since the day it started. I worked for a cable company at the time, and we were treated to lots of insight and special items. I program the channel for two weeks, or so, at a time. I keep a Post-It note pad on the living room table next to my recliner so I can know how far it is programmed. I LOVE the fact that it is commercial free. I quit watching AMC (American Movie Classics) when they started running commercials so I guess I'm spoiled. My favorite moves are from the 30's and 40's so this channel is right up my alley. I keep some special ones in my DVR and watch many of them over and over. The channel features "Summer Under The Stars" every year. I do miss Robert Osborne. That man was a walking encyclopedia when it came to classic movies.

What are your five favorites movies that you have seen on TCM?

Mine are:
Dodsworth (Walter Huston and Ruth Chatterton) I never get tired of watching this movie.
Nortwest Passage (Spencer Tracy, Robert Young, Walter Brennan)
Battleground (Van Johnson, John Hodiak, Marshall Thompson, Ricardo Montalban, James Whitmore)
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (Van Johnson, Spencer Tracy, Robert Walker)
TIE: Drums Along The Mohawk (Henry Fonda, Claudette Colbert)
Shendandoah (James Stewart)

I guess I have more favorites than just these six. I'm really an old movie buff.

So am I, KathyLu, so am I. I absolutely love TCM! And if I lived in the USA, I would also join the TCM Wine Club. :)

Some of my favorite movies :

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, with Jane Powell (yeah, not very feminist, but I still love the songs and dances)
The Ghost and Mrs Muir, 1947, with Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison (the music is mesmerizing)
Showboat
The Public Enemy and many other movies with James Cagney
Singing in the Rain and many others with Gene Kelly
My Fair Lady, with Audrey Hepburn

Even old horror movies with Boris Karloff or Bela Lugosi.

I guess I am an old soul!

they ran the Shirley Temple movie Bright Eyes (which I had never heard of) and I saw the 2nd half,
This is the movie where she sings On the Good Ship Lollipop, when she's on a plane (you probably missed that part if you only saw the second half). It's funny how many people swear she's on a boat when she sings this iconic song.

Yeah, I used to watch AMC, but like KathyLu, when they began having commercials that ended it for me. I love Turner Classic Movies, and agree about missing Robert Osborne. Every once in a while, they will show some intro he did.....I understand the why of having these "guest" hosts, as people do have other jobs, but so far, they have fell flat to me, tho the one on the most (Ben Mankiewicz) is fairly decent.
Like Writer, I really enjoy the musicals, plus, Casablanca, The Shop Around the Corner, In The Good Ol Summertime, Meet Me in St. Louis, lol, It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th St.......oh the list goes on.

LOL, so I watched Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm last night. Can't remember ever having seen it. Jack Haley was in it (TinMan in Wizard of Oz), was weird to see Randolph Scott in a non-western. I think he worked better out west. LOL I do have to say Temple was a wonderfully, multi-talented kid. My goodness.

The Public Enemy and many other movies with James Cagney
Love, love, love this movie! I have it on my DVR now.

I have my DVRs set to automatically record anything with James Cagney, Spencer Tracy, Walter Huston, Bette Davis, Kay Francis, Joan Crawford and Miriam Hopkins. Although Kay Francis is my favorite actress, I have to admit that the best actress of all times is Bette Davis.

The Shop Around the Corner
I've watched the original and all the remakes.
The Shop Around the Corner - Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan 1940 (Original)
In the Good Old Summertime - Van Johnson and Judy Garland 1949 (first remake)
You've Got Mail - Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan (second remake) 1998

As much as I love music, I don't usually watch musicals. It irks me to see someone burst out in song while a multi-piece orchestra seems to come from nowhere. However, I love The Great Zeigfeld with William Powell, Luise Ranier and Myrna Loy. In fact, I watched it again a few days ago, but I always fast-forward the musical numbers. I've never been interested in watching Casablanca, but might give it a try the next time it comes on.

robinsnest, thanks for starting this thread.

The Shop Around the Corner, & it's remakes are so unique, as each put their own spin on the story. Basic is a man & woman are pen pals. But the shop in original is one selling leather goods, in the Summertime one, it is sheet music, and the 3rd one is a small book store.....owned by the female, going out of business because of the giant one opening just a few doors down (think Barnes & Noble, or B.Dalton)
Last month watched Cagney in Yankee Doodle Dandy....another movie I watch whenever on. He was one very talented man.
I guess the days when large studios reigned supreme were actually good for the actors. They got lessons in everything, dancing, singing, walking, manners, diction, enunciation, swimming. Been so long since I have Errol Flynn in Robin Hood, loved that movie.....not fond of any of it's remakes. LOLOL

Back