Changes and character exits

Mr. Continuity

Reaction score
This time around the changes are much different than the Dayaster. Back then so many characters left all at once with abrupt choppy storyline changes. This time though not perfect, but much better. Xander's exit was abrupt and sloppy. However Serena's exit was woven into the beginning of a new storyline with flashbacks of her, making it seamless.

Others that we know are leaving are also being woven into storylines. It's very interesting to see backburned characters moved into the front almost like putting on a pair of glasses and seeing them in focus when you barely knew they were always there. It's exciting to see these veterans so naturally win us over with their acting. This show is lucky many of them did not walk away by the way they were ignored years ago.

I like the faster pace and more characters per episode but it has been a bit choppy during this transition. Justin is a much stronger character now. The Victor, Maggie, Caroline triangle should have happened a long time ago but it's good to see it now and Suzanne Rogers (Maggie) knocks it out of the park just with her expressions.:clap:The show is suddenly watchable.:hug:

I've noticed the choppiness for sure. Some episodes are worse than others. But I applaud the efforts of the new regime for trying to fix so many problems of the previous regime so quickly.

Rafe, Justin, Abe, and likely Nicole have all undergone career changes that seem like they'll lead to future storyline

Kate finally found her brain or so we hope. It really is too bad though that we couldn't see fallout from Jordan's rape reveal. I do think that is relevant to both Kate and Ben.

Vets are back front and center where they should be. Now let's see their kids and grandkids too.

Daniel Jonas is a superfluous, severely backburnered, afterthought.

Last edited:
By the way, I did not mention any spoilers since this is not in the spoiler forum so please don't post comments about characters leaving in the future.
:tsk:

edited to write out text-speak - JS

I think the choppiness is only due to trying to steer characters into the directions & stories that the writers want to tell. I give them credit for having a plan before they even wrote a word. And that they are trying to correct a lot of wrongs that went on for over 3 years, as quickly as possible. They know only too well how the viewers felt, and even when they began to write, realized that viewers were going to have to wait a long time before they saw anything that might make them happy.
Neither we nor they can erase the past 3 plus years, but it sure is good to finally get off that train!

Daniel Jonas is a superfluous, severely backburnered, afterthought.
I get the feeling that, the reason the Daniel/Nicole story hasn't moved forward is, because TPTB are planning for her to be pregnant, so they can do another "Who's the Daddy?" storyline.

I think the choppiness is only due to trying to steer characters into the directions & stories that the writers want to tell.
Definitely. It can be jarring at times, but I know it's for a greater good. And it's focused around mostly Tomlin/Whitesell characters/storylines.

I'd have been happy if we woke up after the Daysaster, everything's been a dream since then, let's move on...but I am really enjoying this much more. It shows that Higley & Griffith are willing to work to make the show what it needs to be!!!

I noted the other day in another thread about how Higley/Griffith are going about righting (writing?) many of the wrongs from Tomlin/Whitesell. They are taking their time with important stuff like rebuilding relationships (John/Marlena, Steve/Kayla, etc.) but making immediate changes with other things, like those mentioned by Heather above.

The choppiness is a bit jarring but I guess I can put up with it for now. Today's episode gave me whiplash.

On the trying to steer the story I can't stand the John and Marlena stuff. Each time they have a romantic evening he shoves his foot in his mouth trying to woo her. He is coming off as not trying to remind her of the love they shared but as trying to force it down her to remember and take him back. It's as if he thinks he can make her love him again.

The walk down memory lane fell flat for me because instead of being reminiscent it was like he was basically implying "you love me and in your vows to me you said that you always will so just love me again now". And he just expects her to swoon.

I am so glad that Marlena hasn't just swooned. I do think that she needs to say to John "I wasn't the one who broke my vows so when you stand there and declare your commitment to me it's a stark reminder that you planned for months to bed Kristen to break her and Brady up. I do love you just as I vowed, but I just don't trust that you won't hurt me again".

Back